Pre-booking Quarantine Hotels reintroduced 18 Jul 21

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Pre-booking Quarantine Hotels reintroduced 18 Jul 21

Post by Freightdog »

What might be an unpleasant side effect is the pricing across all quarantine locations. If this were to go ahead with MoH approval, what’s to stop the pricing to start filtering across through other establishments? The better quality hotels are probably going to want some of that long lost tourism action that’s been missing for nearly a year by the time this comes in. If it does.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

I would take the Marriott for the comfort and the quality of the meals alone. As I sit in the quarantine hotel the mystery bus took me to with a family of 4, 2 of which are small children, we had to switch out meals because the kids wouldn’t eat what was being provided.

To be clear, the hotel has been very helpful in accommodating us and most issues are a function of language capability.

It’s hard to imagine a tourist paying the price of a nicer hotel for two weeks, but business people etc., yes. They will pay for the comfort and tolerate the 2 weeks given some degree of certainty. That’s my opinion anyway.
themistyseas
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by themistyseas »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:05 pm Update - Not yet approved by MoH to proceed. Response from the Courtyard by Marriott Hotel to my email enquiry:

"Hi, we are putting the information in our website as our preparation. However the package is not bookable yet until the government send out the official announcement which we expecting to be soon. We will share an update once it's becoming official."
I also emailed them tonight, as I'm returning next week. They're not sure yet when it's going to come into play. I also called, but got even less information. Last time, most of my deposit got eaten up by Sokha anyway, and this package does include two COVID tests, so it doesn't work out too far different.

I was disappointed but not surprised to learn that it will not be possible to use Marriott points to make the booking.

I was however absolutely shocked to learn that the 14 night stay at this rate would not be credited towards Marriott status for 2022, and may even take that up with Marriott customer service. It's not as if these are special discount rates - you're paying a premium above a normal rate to stay there.

Both the cellular and wifi connectivity at Sokha are dreadful, so the connectivity of the Marriott location is possibly worth since I need a good connection for business. I would otherwise be mostly happy to stay at Sokha again, but have heard some horror stories from the other spots and am a little nervous about what awaits. Programs like these are at least a good way to take control of your own destiny.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Further pricing details from Courtyard by Marriott sent to me via email, also they advised they are STILL waiting on approval, but are hopeful they will have it by the end of the week.

themistyseas
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by themistyseas »

The very significant news I just got from them is that if you get this package, you will (apparently) NOT need to pay a $2000 deposit at the airport.

One would hope not, although given the flow at the airport (health declaration and insurance processing -> bank -> immigration -> customs -> covid test -> hotel transit), I'm not sure exactly how that flow is going to work. Similarly if the Marriott package "includes 2 COVID tests," I'd be curious to find out whether that first test happens at the airport or upon arrival to Marriott.

Those double occupancy prices are truly wild considering it's only the cost of the tests and food that's extra.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:04 pm Further pricing details from Courtyard by Marriott sent to me via email, also they advised they are STILL waiting on approval, but are hopeful they will have it by the end of the week.

I think this doesn't do much for anyone. Who would pay these prices? I agree it might be worth it to not deal w/ all the stress that comes along with arriving but if they had something similar that's a little less expensive ---
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

themistyseas wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:38 pm The very significant news I just got from them is that if you get this package, you will (apparently) NOT need to pay a $2000 deposit at the airport.
That's correct, no deposit required on arrival. When the pre-booking program was still available last year you had to book directly with the hotel, they then provided you with confirmation of the booking which you had to provide as supporting documentation when checking in for flights and on arrival, this exempted the travellers from having to pay the deposit on arrival as all quarantine expenses including the 2x PCR tests, etc. are included in the package.

No change to the "flow" as you put it, you just skip the bank counters. 1st PCR test is still conducted at the airport. Transport to the hotel is provided by the hotel, you don't ride the city bus with the rest of us riff raff.

The prices are ridiculous, I certainly won't be opting for the Courtyard, especially as I fly in to Cambodia every 3 months.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:20 pm
The prices are ridiculous, I certainly won't be opting for the Courtyard, especially as I fly in to Cambodia every 3 months.
but hopefully a step in the right direction, could be a very good thing if we can have a choice of hotels in different areas & price ranges.

Although I won't be holding my breath
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Yeah, those prices are steep. If you are two adults those double prices can work though.
What's also interesting is that it looks like there is a whole separate program for Chinese flying into Sihanoukville.
When I was last there a large hotel building as part of the Sokha has people in quarantine awaiting release.
The Queenco was taking transferees from flights that arrived in Phnom Penh and were then flown to Sihanoukville via a connecting flight.
I'm not sure if that is still operational since Feb, but it shows they can operate a separate process if they want to.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

CONFIRMED - With effect 22nd July 2021, the following hotels can be pre-booked for quarantine on arrival.

1. Courtyard by Marriott Hotel
www.courtyardphnompenh.com
2. Sokha Hotel & Residence
www.sokhahotels.com.kh/phnompenh

Note: The Google Lens translation isn't fantastic, there are errors in the translation. I will post the official translation once I locate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic