Do you speak broken English?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Do you speak broken English?

Post by Yobbo »

I have a bad habit of speaking broken English when communicating with Khmer's.
Doesn't do us any favours & is just lazy on my behalf yet it gets the point through.
A friend of mine that I communicate with on a daily basis applied for an online job with no success because her English not good :oops:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Do you speak broken English?

Post by Kammekor »

you want eye?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Is English you're native language? Speak normally, but maybe just avoid using complicated words. There's no need to avoid tenses or cut out articles and prepositions either, with the whole "Me go cinema" that some pidgin English speakers use. Using the language normally helps them more than breaking it down into some sort of fake version of it.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:18 pm Is English you're native language? Speak normally, but maybe just avoid using complicated words. There's no need to avoid tenses or cut out articles and prepositions either, with the whole "Me go cinema" that some pidgin English speakers use. Using the language normally helps them more than breaking it down into some sort of fake version of it.
FFS! Agreed!
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

English must be very difficult for most as it's in reverse to most others.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Main thing is avoid idioms and slang.
If it helps, imagine you’re explaining something to a 7-year-old English speaker rather than to a foreigner.
As you said, speaking incorrect English doesn’t help on any level, it’s as liable to cause confusion than clear it up. The only exception is if you’ve observed a common feature of Cambodian English na.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

I spent a short time in prison in Pakistan in the 70s. When I got out my mates were getting very annoyed when I spoke in pidgin all the time, even the Pakistani people i knew were laughing at me, it took a few weeks before i went back to normal.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

nerdlinger wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:06 pm Main thing is avoid idioms and slang.
If it helps, imagine you’re explaining something to a 7-year-old English speaker rather than to a foreigner.
Better still…imagine you’re talking to upper management.

Cadence is the big killer after using over complicated terms. Keeping the voice level, speaking with a consistent tone, so that when tone is used for emphasis, it does actually do it.
Language barriers are a constant issue for us, and it’s not that often that’s it’s the basic English that’s the problem, but the delivery.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:18 pm Is English you're native language?
Der teufel steckt im details, so i've been told....
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:15 pm you want eye?
It's "you want me?". Close though. Nice try.
Yobbo wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:31 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:18 pm Is English you're native language? Speak normally, but maybe just avoid using complicated words. There's no need to avoid tenses or cut out articles and prepositions either, with the whole "Me go cinema" that some pidgin English speakers use. Using the language normally helps them more than breaking it down into some sort of fake version of it.
FFS! Agreed!
Disagree!
Leave out the unnecessary past tense and passe compose if you want to ensure they understand you easier, because they jumbles into words and they often won't tell you they didn't understand what you said, pick up a few words here and there and design their own construction of your narrative. This can be particularly harmful if they miss a not or didn't. "Me go cinema" is sorted (assuming they know cinema). "I went to the cinema" "You go?" "No, I went" "When?" "I've been to the cinema" "You eat already?"
Think about when you are learning Khmer. You only know a few words and if other needless ones are incorporated, they have finished talking while you are still back at word 3. Learning Tarzan English saves a lot of time and confusion. For past tense, you simply add "already". Class dismissed. Class dismiss already. "Bye bye" works.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic