Do you speak broken English?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Do you speak broken English?

Post by Ghostwriter »

Errrr....i'd like to fine the people writing words the wrong way in some well-known French newspapers. It's a a pain to read, and makes these people look like fools.

Nah, better be as accurate as possible when it comes to learn a language, so after it becomes easier to use shortcuts and swifter ways to talk.

No wonder English and French are used in diplomatic talks, crosschecks for mutual understanding and settings are easier made than blurrier languages or lenghtier languages.

I wouldn't read much of a writer not mastering his own language.
And as for education, the higher you aim, the higher you get.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:09 pm Language is for communication. If a message has been conveyed, it has done its job. There are no rules, only guidelines. You wont get arrested or even fined on-spot for a grammatical err. I would question whether any local folks are planning to write their autobiography in English, anytime soon (although, many would make interesting reading).
Indeed. And as always, the devil is in the detail when people communicate. You won't be arrested for a any grammatical error but you will easily be misunderstood.

You go?
You already go? (Yes, aware of the grammatical flaw, just for educational purpose)
You went?

Same same or not?

Me think not same same.

If people want to have a useful / meaningful discussion in any language while fully understanding each other they have to follow the same grammatical guidelines. The fact sometimes a short version can be understood as well doesn't change that.

It's the same in Khmer, sometimes the short version will do, but sometimes you totally miss the subject when taking a shortcut and confusion is all you get.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

Well,.... clarity of the lang and lingo matter if you're seeking executive career paths or lang-related fields, like speech and drama. Perhaps not solely executive paths, but any job that requires a clear communicator who will be leading a group of specific types of speakers. In this case English speakers.

It all depends. I'm in the consumer psych and sales field and have never had issues because of the way I spoke. (Singlish mostly). In fact, it kinda works in my favor. We call it language dissonance for strategic interruptions, geared towards a goal.

I think it's good to practice switching back and forth though.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Alex wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:52 pm I've found that speaking slowly and clearly as well as avoiding to use advanced vocabulary usually works just fine. There's no need to take dumbing it down to an extreme level (Pidgin English / bar girl English).
I wonder how much “bar girl English” is a direct consequence of being talked to incorrectly by a long stream of well-intentioned foreigners?
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Ghostwriter wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:11 pm
No wonder English and French are used in diplomatic talks, crosschecks for mutual understanding and settings are easier made than blurrier languages or lenghtier languages.

I wouldn't read much of a writer not mastering his own language.
And as for education, the higher you aim, the higher you get.
It’s also why they use English in aviation and shipping. Stops errors.

Years ago my old school mate lived in a France for years, at Uni, and was pretty good linguist.
So back home we were in a local pub and he got chatting to these two French chicks. I was like a spare arse. After about an hour they start arguing with him and they storm off. Turned out they didn’t believe he was English as his French was that good.
We found it hilarious but not funny that we lost a possible shag.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

nerdlinger wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:25 am
Alex wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:52 pm I've found that speaking slowly and clearly as well as avoiding to use advanced vocabulary usually works just fine. There's no need to take dumbing it down to an extreme level (Pidgin English / bar girl English).
I wonder how much “bar girl English” is a direct consequence of being talked to incorrectly by a long stream of well-intentioned foreigners?
Haha, I would suspect a lot. That being said, a few pick up good English from those who speak somewhat normally to them. Just like local kids who are fairly fluent wouldn't speak good English if all YouTube videos and Netflix shows had broken pidgin English.

That being said, a lot of people who aren't used to being with non-native speakers often have trouble adjusting their use of the language, so they quickly assume they have to resort to a sort of pidgin English rather than just adjust accordingly. We've probably all done this at some point. For example, I've overheard tourists using overly complicated formulations like "Would you happen to know where one can get..." while speaking quickly, and then are met with a blank stare. It's an acquired skill.

The same goes for Khmers or any other nationality for that matter. Some simply have no ability to adjust their language, or if you mispronounce something slightly, they can't pick up on it despite the obvious context because they aren't exposed to foreigners. Or how I can understand some words my wife mispronounces because I'm used to her English, but others might have issues.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:28 pm
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:09 pm Language is for communication. If a message has been conveyed, it has done its job.

Indeed. And as always, the devil is in the detail when people communicate. You won't be arrested for a any grammatical error but you will easily be misunderstood.
In which case I wouldn't consider the message conveyed.
I do however stand corrected that poor language skills would work against you in a corporate situation, or the like; even though the message was conveyed, the job was not done efficiently.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

:dm: Never underestimate the power of (misunderstanding) sign-language. Many years ago I went to a chemist shop in the boonies to ask for laxatives for an ailing friend...
Nobody spoke English, (even broken), and I didn't know the magic word in Khmer, but I did know the word for toilet. I will leave the rest to your imaginations. :mrgreen:
(There was quite an audience for the performance and everyone had a guess. All wrong, lol. I ended up going through the shelves behind the counter to find the necessary.)
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:26 am
nerdlinger wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:25 am
Haha, I would suspect a lot. That being said, a few pick up good English from those who speak somewhat normally to them. Just like local kids who are fairly fluent wouldn't speak good English if all YouTube videos and Netflix shows had broken pidgin English.

That being said, a lot of people who aren't used to being with non-native speakers often have trouble adjusting their use of the language, so they quickly assume they have to resort to a sort of pidgin English rather than just adjust accordingly. We've probably all done this at some point. For example, I've overheard tourists using overly complicated formulations like "Would you happen to know where one can get..." while speaking quickly, and then are met with a blank stare. It's an acquired skill.
Guilty as charged. When I was first working in Hanoi in the late 90's I fell into the 'convoluted sentence' trap. I remember a shy office girl almost bursting into tears because she did not know whether to answer Yes or No to my question "Have you not finished the filing yet?".
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

[/quote]
Guilty as charged. When I was first working in Hanoi in the late 90's I fell into the 'convoluted sentence' trap. I remember a shy office girl almost bursting into tears because she did not know whether to answer Yes or No to my question "Have you not finished the filing yet?".
[/quote]
"I didn't know I was supposed to varnish the violin?"
Anchor Moy mentioned sign language which I utilise everyday. A lot. Also tone. We really are a condescending, supercilious lot, though. It should be us learning Khmer and them speaking comprehensively to us.
Talking slowly helps because it gives time to translate, otherwise the conversation is over and I'm still back on word 4. But imagine someone saying something to you in a totally unfamiliar language and, once they gather you didn't catch anything, they repeat it slowly. Oh! Now I understand Pidgeon Pigmy.
My go-to is google translate, which is a test of my tolerance level, but must impossible communication, possible.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic