Do you speak broken English?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Do you speak broken English?

Post by Kammekor »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:45 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:15 pm you want eye?
It's "you want me?". Close though. Nice try.
Damn, I thought I was offered ice in my coffee, glad you helped me out and now I know what really was one offer.
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:45 pm Disagree!
Leave out the unnecessary past tense and passe compose if you want to ensure they understand you easier, because they jumbles into words and they often won't tell you they didn't understand what you said, pick up a few words here and there and design their own construction of your narrative. This can be particularly harmful if they miss a not or didn't. "Me go cinema" is sorted (assuming they know cinema). "I went to the cinema" "You go?" "No, I went" "When?" "I've been to the cinema" "You eat already?"
Think about when you are learning Khmer. You only know a few words and if other needless ones are incorporated, they have finished talking while you are still back at word 3. Learning Tarzan English saves a lot of time and confusion. For past tense, you simply add "already". Class dismissed. Class dismiss already. "Bye bye" works.
If you want to be understood in Cambodia I strongly suggest to use all the 'unnecessary' past tenses and passe compose you know - but in Khmer language. Just remember you're not in London, but in Cambodia.

And if you want to treat the Khmer person you're talking to in English as a 4 your old child, yes, you can ask or say 'you eat already'. Maybe that person doesn't have the cognitive skills to learn the word 'ate' and distinguish it from 'eat', and that would be another mistake prevented from occurring. Maybe use car car instead of cars too?

A perfect world is so easy to make, right? Just talk baby talk and we'll al be fine.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

[disclaimer]
I have been a teacher and teacher trainer for a long time. Working as a teacher comes with a certain mindset and a certain set of responsibilities which are hard to let go after you left the job. At least in my case.
[/disclaimer]
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Yobbo wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:31 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:18 pm Is English you're native language? Speak normally, but maybe just avoid using complicated words. There's no need to avoid tenses or cut out articles and prepositions either, with the whole "Me go cinema" that some pidgin English speakers use. Using the language normally helps them more than breaking it down into some sort of fake version of it.
FFS! Agreed!
Disagree!
Leave out the unnecessary past tense and passe compose if you want to ensure they understand you easier, because they jumbles into words and they often won't tell you they didn't understand what you said, pick up a few words here and there and design their own construction of your narrative. This can be particularly harmful if they miss a not or didn't. "Me go cinema" is sorted (assuming they know cinema). "I went to the cinema" "You go?" "No, I went" "When?" "I've been to the cinema" "You eat already?"
Think about when you are learning Khmer. You only know a few words and if other needless ones are incorporated, they have finished talking while you are still back at word 3. Learning Tarzan English saves a lot of time and confusion. For past tense, you simply add "already". Class dismissed. Class dismiss already. "Bye bye" works.
The problem here is you’re essentially devising a whole new dialect based on second-guessing the finer details of what another person will or won’t understand. Now the people talking with you have to learn two whole sets of grammar - English grammar and PNdP grammar.

It is entirely possible to construct simple English sentences without resorting to bad English, it just takes a bit of practice and conscious effort.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Just use whatever you like. If you speak normal English that's fine. If you say stuff like "Why you bock me so much, why you look down? You butterfly no good." that's fine too because everyone can tell you are a bit retarded and can avoid you.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

For half the people on here, English is obviously not their first language, 80% can't spoke proper anyways, half are morons and the rest are oxy-moronic
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:12 am For half the people on here, English is obviously not their first language, 80% can't spoke proper anyways, half are morons and the rest are oxy-moronic
There’s a certain irony in some of what you write, and I can only presume it’s for comic effect.
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:21 pm
Damn, I thought I was offered ice in my coffee, glad you helped me out and now I know what really was one offer.
You wanted ice, but ended up with noodles. :hattip:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:12 am For half the people on here, English is obviously not their first language, 80% can't spoke proper anyways, half are morons and the rest are oxy-moronic
Me now understand, thanks you.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

Language has a simple purpose: to communicate with other humans. So whatever works. I tried to teach the gf something. She said, "why you look me?" I said , no, you have to use the small words as well "why DO you look AT me", she couldnt work out why I wanted to make life so complex, so she ignored me. Rightly so, when I thought about it, I mean, I got the message the first time, so why f**k around with it?
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic