How to Buy a Used Motorcycle

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
faynce
Tourist
United States of America

How to Buy a Used Motorcycle

Post by faynce »

Hello all,

After a lot of looking via Google, I can't seem to find much information on the exact steps to take to buy a second hand motorcycle. There must be a whole series of steps to get the title transferred to my name, but I can't find them online.

Can you help me out?

Much appreciated!

Erik
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Re: How to Buy a Used Motorcycle

Post by Dunderhead »

It is a crazy system they have here, first look at the plate, if it says Phnom Penh and you live in Phnom Penh then you are in luck, you must go to the transport office that is on the plate, you need both the buyer and seller to go together, if both are locals then no.problem, as you are abarang it is a problem, cops don't ask for registration cards so there is no real good reason to register in your name
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Dunderhead wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:33 am It is a crazy system they have here, first look at the plate, if it says Phnom Penh and you live in Phnom Penh then you are in luck, you must go to the transport office that is on the plate, you need both the buyer and seller to go together, if both are locals then no.problem, as you are abarang it is a problem, cops don't ask for registration cards so there is no real good reason to register in your name
That is correct. The exception is if you buy an unregistered bike from a shop they will facillitate the rego for you. I never carry the reg card anyway. No one has ever asked to see it!
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

While you are killing time in qt check out khmer24 website for large selection of bikes for sale.
faynce
Tourist
United States of America

Post by faynce »

Dunderhead wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:33 am It is a crazy system they have here, first look at the plate, if it says Phnom Penh and you live in Phnom Penh then you are in luck, you must go to the transport office that is on the plate, you need both the buyer and seller to go together, if both are locals then no.problem, as you are abarang it is a problem, cops don't ask for registration cards so there is no real good reason to register in your name
The issue is that I'm looking to buy a big bike, and may drop around $3-5,000. For that kind of money, I expect a motorcycle with a title, registration, etc. I may even drive it to Thailand and back when things get back to normal.

Should I stick to a dealership that will take care of all the paperwork for me?
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

Never saw a single Cambodian plated bike in Thailand in 25 years of going there so not sure that is doable, you will need to buy from a dealer to get any paperwork in your name.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

faynce wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:21 pm
The issue is that I'm looking to buy a big bike, and may drop around $3-5,000. For that kind of money, I expect a motorcycle with a title, registration, etc. I may even drive it to Thailand and back when things get back to normal.

Should I stick to a dealership that will take care of all the paperwork for me?
Up to you really

It's not complicated either way

But some dealers are extraordinarily greedy with their sales price considering much of their stock is repaired insurance jobs, so don't be afraid to upset them and haggle like a bastard
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic