Which Big Bike to Buy?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
faynce
Tourist
United States of America

Which Big Bike to Buy?

Post by faynce »

Hello folks,

I'm an expat who just moved from Thailand (in quarantine now). In Thailand, I had my CBR500R and really loved it. It was my exclusive mode of transportation around Bangkok and all of Thailand. I did a lot of road trips with it.

When I get out of quarantine, I'm trying to figure out which motorcycle to buy. I know a CBR500R will be great for Phnom Penh, but will it work out okay in the rest of Cambodia? Should I pick a different bike because the roads in Cambodia are worse than in Thailand? I do plan on taking road trips around Cambodia.

I can tell you this:

1) I'm only buying one motorcycle.
2) I have zero interest in dirt bikes.

Will the CBR work? If not, should I buy something that's a bit more of a hybrid, so I can go anywhere? If so, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Erik
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Which Big Bike to Buy?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I don't see a CB500 as a good choice for PP. If you're set on buying ONE bike (weirdo!) I'd get something a bit more versatile like a Versus/Transalp.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Eric the roads here are pretty good now. If you are not off roading just stick to what u are comfortable with. There can be times you run into some rough bits of road or potholes but nothing you couldnt handle.
Good luck with the qt.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I agree. The road to Kampot is mostly done, road to SR pretty good and the first highway ever will be completed fairly soon. If things get bad, you can always slow down. However, you're still limited to justa few decent roads where you don't have to worry about a pothole. Road to BTB is crap again, KC is so-so and anywhere in between these few major centers are laterite roads which you can't easily access on a pure road bike. Fork travel on a CB is pretty limited as far as I know and seated position isn't the best, though obviously it's way better than a crotch rocket. But yeah, if you like CB500s then go for it. Plenty around and you can still ride it fairly effortlessly in the city and countryside. Tbh I much prefer a scooter in the city. I'm way faster and can park easily vs road bikes.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Buy whatever you like

I've ran scooters, dirt bikes, road bikes and sports bikes over the years

Never couldn't get them anywhere, in fact unless going off road (and I mean off fucking road, not red road or any crap like that) there's no valid reason to own a dirt bike here anymore, it's not 2001 any longer and roads are in good shape generally

CB500 should be a good do it all bike, but it's a buyers market here now, spoiled for choice and many firesales as people have ran out of money because of the economic sanctions imposed this year and last
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:19 pm Buy whatever you like

I've ran scooters, dirt bikes, road bikes and sports bikes over the years

Never couldn't get them anywhere, in fact unless going off road (and I mean off fucking road, not red road or any crap like that) there's no valid reason to own a dirt bike here anymore, it's not 2001 any longer and roads are in good shape generally

CB500 should be a good do it all bike, but it's a buyers market here now, spoiled for choice and many firesales as people have ran out of money because of the economic sanctions imposed this year and last
I have to agree with Jerry, I too have had many bikes up to now in the country, and enjoyed the time with most, even a cheap mini scoopy 50cc being the most comfy. But the buyers market, lots of imported Honda 400cc four cylinder bikes available.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

faynce wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:23 am Hello folks,

I'm an expat who just moved from Thailand (in quarantine now). In Thailand, I had my CBR500R and really loved it. It was my exclusive mode of transportation around Bangkok and all of Thailand. I did a lot of road trips with it.

When I get out of quarantine, I'm trying to figure out which motorcycle to buy. I know a CBR500R will be great for Phnom Penh, but will it work out okay in the rest of Cambodia? Should I pick a different bike because the roads in Cambodia are worse than in Thailand? I do plan on taking road trips around Cambodia.

I can tell you this:

Will the CBR work? If not, should I buy something that's a bit more of a hybrid, so I can go anywhere? If so, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Erik
Hi Erik, if I may suggest it will be the Honda Rebel 1100 DCT. Very comfortable cruiser. Big engine but not big in size. I tested it last week and couldn't resist it. Honda delivered to me just yesterday. Took the wife for a ride and she love it too.

faynce
Tourist
United States of America

Post by faynce »

yong wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:37 pm

I can tell you this:

Thanks,

Erik
Hi Erik, if I may suggest it will be the Honda Rebel 1100 DCT. Very comfortable cruiser. Big engine but not big in size. I tested it last week and couldn't resist it. Honda delivered to me just yesterday. Took the wife for a ride and she love it too.

Where did you buy that Rebel??
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

faynce wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:18 am

I can tell you this:

Thanks,

Erik

Thailand, BigWing - https://www.thaihonda.co.th/hondabigbike/
faynce
Tourist
United States of America

Post by faynce »

yong wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:01 am
faynce wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:18 am

I can tell you this:

Thanks,

Erik

Thailand, BigWing - https://www.thaihonda.co.th/hondabigbike/
Wait, you can buy a bike in Thailand and have it brought to Cambodia? How does that work, exactly?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic