Everyday meals….

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Everyday meals….

Post by IraHayes »

Ok so bit of an broad question but my mother has been struggling for a while now with everyday meal ideas. She misses an oven and has spent her whole life preparing your standard fare that an English mother of 4 would do.
She can’t eat fish and dislikes spiced food. So, bearing all that in mind, and that my wife is still locked down in Vietnam, what meal ideas can you think of?

We may buy one of those worktop electric ovens just so she can do some baking but it would need a separate fused supply as well which is just a pain do have to do but necessary.

Anyway… ideas and thoughts please.
sousadeyy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Everyday meals….

Post by sousadeyy »

IraHayes wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:41 am Ok so bit of an broad question but my mother has been struggling for a while now with everyday meal ideas. She misses an oven and has spent her whole life preparing your standard fare that an English mother of 4 would do.
She can’t eat fish and dislikes spiced food. So, bearing all that in mind, and that my wife is still locked down in Vietnam, what meal ideas can you think of?

We may buy one of those worktop electric ovens just so she can do some baking but it would need a separate fused supply as well which is just a pain do have to do but necessary.

Get the electric toaster oven thing. no excuses then. They work fine, many and pie and roast dinner have been baked/cooked in one of those, nothing an English mother can't do in one of them, bar the lack of space.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

A convection oven, nothing like some baked meals.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

IraHayes wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:41 am Ok so bit of an broad question but my mother has been struggling for a while now with everyday meal ideas. She misses an oven and has spent her whole life preparing your standard fare that an English mother of 4 would do.

If the wiring in your mum's place isn't fused I'd say the installation of the oven is the perfect opportunity to install some.
Electric ovens can be had for about 100$, depending on size. Typically those use 2.000W, so a 10A switch will do.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

I found some beef kidney the other day at Aeon so picked up some cubed Aussie beef and big bag of veggys and made and excellent Aussie/ Brit stew. I purposely made way to much for one meal so portioned the remainder, bagged them and stuck in the freezer I have a dozen frozen stews now that can be microwaved any time and put on toast and good even on rice. A well made stew with Bistro or Gravox gravy is good healthy and hearty meal.
I also have one of those larger toaster oven and can easy make a Sunday Roast Chicken with baked potatoes, carrots , pumpkin and green peas on the side, I freeze my left over bread and make seasoning again the bistro or Gravox makes it as good as me old mum used make being a Bitt you could add Yorkshire pud.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Mexican food, stir fried food, stews, chicken dishes, pasta and the list goes
look on you tube for lunch, dinner ideas.

Get
DAWAD Air Fryer Toaster Oven Combo, 7-in-1 Convection Airfryer Toaster Ovens Countertop with 33 Original Recipes, Bake, Broil, Toast, Reheat, Fry Oil-Free,.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Tell her she can buy a standard gas oven with grill and 4 hobs for under $200
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It’s a shame that she doesn’t enjoy even a little spice. Or fish! Two of my staples. I’ve spent most of my life surviving on hob top cooking.

Pasta- a whole raft of variations of loose pasta dishes.

Rice- my mother has always loved my egg fried rice, but wok cooking does not need to involve frying.

But I get it; my mother is Irish, and she’s a good cook. But not one to try anything unscripted, which is well outside her comfort zone.
My aunt is French, and. An amazing cook. Everything is largely unscripted, and often based on what stands out in the cupboard. Creativity. I think, when I can be bothered these days, that my efforts tend towards a style rather than a specific menu or recipe.

The one thing I like in the absence of an oven which I’ve rarely used, anyway; a cast iron pot. Le Creuset.

My winter effort-
2 good whole duck breast
2 spatch cock pousin
Handful of shallots
½ garlic, crushed lightly
Red wine- Keith Floyd style- drink one, pour one. Maybe two bottles.
Herbs as the tastebuds demand on the day, but definitely some rosemary.

On the hob- in the le Creuset. A good bourguignon. I’m not sure what the local herbs/spices effort is like.

As for frying.
Anything involving reducing onions, garlic, turmeric…
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic