Are you locked in Cambodia and dreaming to go back to Thailand soon ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Re: Are you locked in Cambodia and dreaming to go back to Thailand soon ?

Post by Ong Tay »

orussey98 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:15 am
Ong Tay wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:30 am I lived and worked in Bangkok for just over a year, and traveled there extensively in the years prior. I have no desire to live there again, and I haven't even visited there since 2015. Completely over it.
What are the reasons not to live there?
For me, as someone who worked a corporate job, I didn't enjoy the working culture. "Mai pen rai" is not a good response from someone when trying to hold them to account. The whole saving face schtick - which may be somewhat tolerable as a tourist - is much less so in a working environment. Beyond those cultural issues, I absolutely hated the traffic, which made going to meetings or going from work a chore, and the skytrain was packed during rush hours. Income tax was also high.

Now, were I independently wealthy and didn't have to work, I might reconsider. :)
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:53 pm why would you be stuck in Cambodia?
thailand is granting visa exempts and visas>
you can choose the 14 days "phuket sandbox"
or 14 days locked up in Bangkok
flights via Singapore for around $300 to both places
you gave the reason in your reply. who is idiot enough to pay to be locked 14 days ?

by the way, have ou been banned from thaivisa ?
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

pissontheroof wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:52 am
Ozinasia wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:35 am I lived in Pattaya for 8 years, enjoyed it for the most part however as the years went by the change in the locals attitude was very noticeable.
In a word the hate foreigners generally speaking.
If they can get you for anything they will as an example rental deposits once a deposit is paid don't expect to get it back no matter how well you maintain the property.
The Cambodian folks are far more excepting of falangs IMHO
I guess if you live in pattaya they know what you’re there for and why ..
I been to pattaya twice , been drugged and robbed and would never go back there
10 years in 🇹🇭
I never spent more than 2 whole nights in Pp in 10 years here ,
if I have business I take a taxi , do my business and round trip it back “ home “

Yes I agree that Cambodia life is better ! I feel robbed whatever I buy, because everything is sold at double price compared to Thailand ! hahaha
But it's positive, in Kow we learn that not many things are so important to buy finally...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I live cheaper here for those reasons, nothing to buy, even food, not the choices one has in thailand
But than again, everything i do buy costs more
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:27 am I live cheaper here for those reasons, nothing to buy, even food, not the choices one has in thailand

yes I like the idea to buy less, just as in Thailand 30 years ago...
But now in Thailand I wonder if anything is not available. Even the most unknown cheese from a deep EU province can be found... And I see foreigners who keep buying $hit and $hit and useless $hit just as they were doing in US, so Cambodia is so much better !
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

jubo2 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:10 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:27 am I live cheaper here for those reasons, nothing to buy, even food, not the choices one has in thailand

yes I like the idea to buy less, just as in Thailand 30 years ago...
But now in Thailand I wonder if anything is not available. Even the most unknown cheese from a deep EU province can be found... And I see foreigners who keep buying $hit and $hit and useless $hit just as they were doing in US, so Cambodia is so much better !

Cant find Twinkies LOL
Come on, its not just westerners buying stuff, you ever see the worthless shit available in the Cambodian markets for sale from China

Consumerism is king :beer3:

I recall when i first moved to Phuket, only one shop in Phuket town sold fresh milk, otherwise it was drinking that UHT milk yachties use
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

What is it, besides Twinkies, that you can't find?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

I do miss Southern Thailand a little. The beaches along the Andaman coast, getting wasted on trips along the chao phraya river, and just the general abundance of non-touristy seaside towns. Street food and wet markets in the south remind me of home. However, I do agree with some of the other posters - could not see myself living in TH for longer than 6 months.

My dollar also goes much further in Thailand, since cheap products don't automatically equate to low quality there, usually. Hiring, staffing, and banking errands have less friction as well.

But it's still not KH.

Something about KH, that despite all her shortcomings, she's my true love. A terrible lover, but she's got fire.
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

ofparadise wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:33 pm I do miss Southern Thailand a little. The beaches along the Andaman coast, getting wasted on trips along the chao phraya river, and just the general abundance of non-touristy seaside towns. Street food and wet markets in the south remind me of home. However, I do agree with some of the other posters - could not see myself living in TH for longer than 6 months.

My dollar also goes much further in Thailand, since cheap products don't automatically equate to low quality there, usually. Hiring, staffing, and banking errands have less friction as well.

But it's still not KH.

Something about KH, that despite all her shortcomings, she's my true love. A terrible lover, but she's got fire.

yes the beach in thailand can't be beaten !
or maybe only by philippines if you like to stay somewhere without running water and electricity :-)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

jubo2 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:46 pm
ofparadise wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:33 pm I do miss Southern Thailand a little. The beaches along the Andaman coast, getting wasted on trips along the chao phraya river, and just the general abundance of non-touristy seaside towns. Street food and wet markets in the south remind me of home. However, I do agree with some of the other posters - could not see myself living in TH for longer than 6 months.

But it's still not KH.

yes the beach in thailand can't be beaten !
or maybe only by philippines if you like to stay somewhere without running water and electricity :-)
There are some magnificent beaches in the PI..arguably better than Thailand imho. But, and it's a big but, travelling in the PI I've found quite onerous. If u have time no probs. I did a 6 week tour of the Visayas islands back in early 2016 fcuking amazing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic