How powerful are these people?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Re: How powerful are these people?

Post by Yobbo »

They're probably just gay :Rose:
lando1978
Tourist
New Zealand

Post by lando1978 »

Just to reiterate, they have never asked me to pay, I have tried to many times, there have been occasions when I have managed to buy things like whiskey when going to dinner/party, but mostly they try to make me put my money away. They have spent far more on me than I have them.
I was treated like an honoured guest and everyone made me really welcome, had a great time.

But the reverence shown by the bar/club owners towards them was awesome, best tables, great service, beautiful women. But I wondered if this was just shown to all police or just this group?

When at small family places money was always paid.

And like I said there was a vietnamese contingent that I am pretty sure have been here since 1989 or there abouts. Particularly the hotel owner in Phnom Penh.

Anyway, enjoyed Cambodia more than elsewhere in SEA because of these guys, saw more of the locals here than anywhere else because they for some reason liked hanging out with me and welcomed me along to family outings, dinners, etc.
More often than not a night would end up at a table with a group of guys drinking too much and eating, I guess this is a cultural macho thing where women weren't as welcomed, they were around during the daytime activities but when the serious piss up began it was just the guys.

Would like to come back again but covid is a bit of a bitch holding up travel.

Cheers for the responses.
If you have got money you can do what you want, if you realise this you can REALLY do what you want.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

lando1978 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:42 pm Just to reiterate, they have never asked me to pay, I have tried to many times, there have been occasions when I have managed to buy things like whiskey when going to dinner/party, but mostly they try to make me put my money away. They have spent far more on me than I have them.
I was treated like an honoured guest and everyone made me really welcome, had a great time.

But the reverence shown by the bar/club owners towards them was awesome, best tables, great service, beautiful women. But I wondered if this was just shown to all police or just this group?

And like I said there was a vietnamese contingent that I am pretty sure have been here since 1989 or there abouts. Particularly the hotel owner in Phnom Penh.

Anyway, enjoyed Cambodia more than elsewhere in SEA because of these guys, saw more of the locals here than anywhere else because they for some reason liked hanging out with me and welcomed me along to family outings, dinners, etc.
More often than not a night would end up at a table with a group of guys drinking too much and eating, I guess this is a cultural macho thing where women weren't as welcomed, they were around during the daytime activities but when the serious piss up began it was just the guys.

Not sure if that was your closing post, but if you're still on the air, I would like to take you up on your opening offer to elaborate, at the risk of being, well nothing, really, you wouldn't have posted if you didn't wanna talk about it. You seem pretty chuffed, deservedly so. The locals make no secret of sizing us up - quite often catch them staring. They even tell me where I was on certain days. I'm guessing you smile a lot. Don't talk too much and are very polite/respectful. How old are ya? Really? You don't look it (must have had a tough life). Where did you meet them? I'm guess a young Continental Europe or 43 England. How long were you in Cambo, did you catch up everyday, did you go shopping, who cuts your hair? Excuse the 20 Qs, but seriously, I am interested - it's an all-good story, which can get a bit boring, so feel free to spice it up. Don't hear too many stories about a smooth flight they had 5 years ago, with no delays, and and a spare seat. Decent hotel, nice weather.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

You're mistaking fear for respect. Yes, they are nice to you but they didn't get to where they are by being upstanding citizens.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

lando1978 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:42 pm Just to reiterate, they have never asked me to pay, I have tried to many times, there have been occasions when I have managed to buy things like whiskey when going to dinner/party, but mostly they try to make me put my money away. They have spent far more on me than I have them.

Been over here for a long time. The only other time I ever heard of something like this is when these guys wanted a barang to invest in some tree farming business. Out of instinct, if guys like this started trying to buddy up to me, I wouldn't walk, I would run as quickly and as far as I could. There's no way this is going to have a positive outcome for the barang. Something is not being told or overlooked in this story.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

Cooldude wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:55 pm

Been over here for a long time. The only other time I ever heard of something like this is when these guys wanted a barang to invest in some tree farming business. Out of instinct, if guys like this started trying to buddy up to me, I wouldn't walk, I would run as quickly and as far as I could. There's no way this is going to have a positive outcome for the barang. Something is not being told or overlooked in this story.

I would not be so suspicious. Just don't compromise yourself, don't reveal personal info, and compartmentalize your meetings with them. And in the same way they are being ultra-generous, you can be ultra-generous back, just to even the score. That's how I do it. And I never ask people to pay, if they are out with me. It's just a moral I grew up with - a friend is to be treated the same as God.

In the same vein, if your spidy senses are tingling, close the chapter and move on. You may find the reason much later. Just don't wait for a reason, to find out.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ofparadise wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:09 pm

I would not be so suspicious. Just don't compromise yourself, don't reveal personal info, and compartmentalize your meetings with them. And in the same way they are being ultra-generous, you can be ultra-generous back, just to even the score. That's how I do it. And I never ask people to pay, if they are out with me. It's just a moral I grew up with - a friend is to be treated the same as God.

In the same vein, if your spidy senses are tingling, close the chapter and move on. You may find the reason much later. Just don't wait for a reason, to find out.
^this.
Make sure you're your more or less even with them, enjoy the ride and don't be overly suspicious. They won't reveal their largest secrets to you, just do the same.
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

Probably not gay but when they spit roast you, you'll know you're truly safe.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Lost50 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:04 pm Probably not gay but when they spit roast you, you'll know you're truly safe.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Lost50 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:04 pm Probably not gay but when they spit roast you, you'll know you're truly safe.
Good point, and watch out for the early signs like, if they ask you to hold a whole apple in your mouth or "does this napkin smells like chloroform to you?"
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic