Coming to Cambodia help

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Coming to Cambodia help

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:40 pm I've been told (dont know how true it is) that if you arrive Friday Saturday or Sunday you will get Sokha hotel.
:ROFL: Na, definitely no truth in that rumour whatsoever. Hotels are allocated to flights based on availability, not based on the flight origin, day of the week, how many beers you drunk on board, etc. During my quarantines I spent time asking the staff about how the quarantine allocations work, it seems they only get informed between 12-24 hours prior, and then get sent a passenger list about 2-3 hrs before the guests actually arrive at the hotel.

Recently during a very quiet couple weeks at work, I created a spreadsheet to try and discover a pattern, there is no pattern, it is all random (I am still working on it, updating as reports come through). I am sure the MoH have some sort of schedule in place, but it isn't publicly available, and is obviously subject to change.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:21 am The Hardest part about travelling to Cambodia is getting the visa
There are NO tourists visas being issued, NO visa available on arrival

How will she get a visa?
She is leaving her position with the UN. She thinks she's won't have any problem. I'm not so sure.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

general-chatter/topic45403-20.html
My thread, most recent experience.

In the past 12months, the following are pertinent to your situation, based on my experience.

1. You don’t select any hotel. That’s assigned by people in the background. Pot luck. Some good- Anik was my last one. Some bad- Mekong-G or whatever it was. Bunch of lying arseholes exploiting an already unpleasant situation. Some terrible.
Be prepared for anything from being treated like a reluctant guest but with respect, to be treated like a paying prisoner.
It’s two weeks in quarantine. Rant, rave or grudgingly accept; its two weeks.

2. PCR testing is pretty much exactly the same as the world over- 72hrs prior to departure. Have a signed and stamped certificate.

3. Forte Covid insurance. There’s no avoiding it.

4. Embassy websites and assistance. The UK embassy were especially forthcoming with the following when I was trying to get things organised recently-
Some of their numbers no longer work.
The ones that do are answered slowly by people too important for dealing with civilians.
I got snotty answers to my questions, was told to ‘look on the embassy website for your self, like everyone else’. When I pointed out that the website wasn’t loading, she said the website is down for renovation, and this isn’t her problem. She hung up.

Different embassies seem to have a different approach,

5. Visa. Good luck.
Tourist- Cambodia doesn’t want tourists unless you’re Chinese, it would seem. Tourist visas are unavailable for now.
Ordinary visa. Still erroneously referred to as a business visa, the ordinary visa is a pain to obtain in the UK. You need to have a business in Cambodia, or be employed in Cambodia.
There’s no dispensation or allowance for foreigners with family in Cambodia. We’re simply not want or recognised. How your partner will fare is anyone’s guess. But if she’s UN, could she exploit some connection and get an invite? Just an idea.

Basically, the Cambodian system can’t quite conceive of any reason beyond money or tourism for wanting to be here.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

The Judge wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:09 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:21 am The Hardest part about travelling to Cambodia is getting the visa
There are NO tourists visas being issued, NO visa available on arrival

How will she get a visa?
She is leaving her position with the UN. She thinks she's won't have any problem. I'm not so sure.
Not sure how leaving her current position has any relevance to obtaining a Visa.

Which country is she in, and does she have employment/offer of employment with a company in Cambodia? The criteria for issuing of Visas varies from Cambodian Embassy to Embassy (or consulate).
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:57 pm general-chatter/topic45403-20.html

In the past 12months, the following are pertinent to your situation, based on my experience.

1. You don’t select any hotel. That’s assigned by people in the background. Pot luck. Some good- Anik was my last one. Some bad- Mekong-G or whatever it was. Bunch of lying arseholes exploiting an already unpleasant situation. Some terrible.
Be prepared for anything from being treated like a reluctant guest but with respect, to be treated like a paying prisoner.

4. Embassy websites and assistance. The UK embassy were especially forthcoming with the following when I was trying to get things organised recently-
The ones that do are answered slowly by people too important for dealing with civilians.
I got snotty answers to my questions, was told to ‘look on the embassy website for your self, like everyone else’. When I pointed out that the website wasn’t loading, she said the website is down for renovation, and this isn’t her problem. She hung up.

5. Visa. Good luck.
Tourist- Cambodia doesn’t want tourists unless you’re Chinese, it would seem. Tourist visas are unavailable for now.
Ordinary visa. Still erroneously referred to as a business visa, the ordinary visa is a pain to obtain in the UK. You need to have a business in Cambodia, or be employed in Cambodia.
There’s no dispensation or allowance for foreigners with family in Cambodia. We’re simply not want or recognised. How your partner will fare is anyone’s guess. But if she’s UN, could she exploit some connection and get an invite? Just an idea.

Basically, the Cambodian system can’t quite conceive of any reason beyond money or tourism for wanting to be here.
I'm not from the UK, but I can certainly relate to the fucking arrogance of many employees at foreign embassies and their disregard for the people they're supposed to be assisting.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

The insurance do you buy it before your flight or can you buy it at PP airport on arrival?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

atst wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:43 pm The insurance do you buy it before your flight or can you buy it at PP airport on arrival?
You cant board a plane without color print of insurance policy.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

atst wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:43 pm The insurance do you buy it before your flight or can you buy it at PP airport on arrival?
Must be purchased before travelling and the inception date must be the date you arrive in Cambodia. You will not be permitted to check-in/board/transfer without a print out of the policy certificate.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

We shouldn't be encouraging illegal foreigners to immigrate here.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

The Judge wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:42 pm
Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:57 pm general-chatter/topic45403-20.html

5. Visa. Good luck.

I'm not from the UK, but I can certainly relate to the fucking arrogance of many employees at foreign embassies and their disregard for the people they're supposed to be assisting.
I was the same when I recently was unable to access my UK bank accounts. Security would not let me into the British Embassy's grounds, but did give me a card with the telephone number. So I called, the lady answered "can I help you"? I explained my unfortunate situation, asking if I could receive a call on their landline telephone, too confirm myself, then my accounts would be activated again. Certainly not was her answer, I then asked if she knew a landline in the city I could use. I can't say because it is not our policy to help or be involved with a persons bank account. Okay then if I am out in the street soon, could you help me then, the answer to this, have you not got family and friends. The receiver must have been put down because the phone call was over now. I have no words for our representatives of our country, or that of a fellow countryman.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic