Honoring Chris Howes, British Mine Clearer Murdered by Khmer Rouge

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Honoring Chris Howes, British Mine Clearer Murdered by Khmer Rouge

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

RAT TRIBUTE Hero British mine clearance worker murdered in Cambodia honoured with giant bomb-sniffing rat
Jerome Starkey
0:37, 13 Jul 2021Updated: 0:38, 13 Jul 2021
A HERO British mine clearance worker murdered in Cambodia has been honoured with a giant bomb-sniffing rat.
Army veteran Christopher Howes was just 36 when he was killed by Khmer Rouge fanatics as he risked his life to clear landmines in 1996.

Now a giant African pouched rat — which grow as large as a cat — has been named Howes.
The rats are trained to sniff out explosives.

Chris’s sister, Pat Philips, said it was a fitting tribute to a brave and exceptional man.
But she added: “The void left in our lives by my brother’s needless murder is undiminished.”
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15576407/ ... oured-rat/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Honoring Chris Howes, British Mine Clearer Murdered by Khmer Rouge

Post by John Bingham »

He has a street here named after him too.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Back story:
Remembering Chris Howes - Killed 25 Years Ago by Khmer Rouge

A boulevard in Phnom Penh provides a memorial to Christopher's work
Shot charity worker was 'exceptional'
[Note: This is an old article:Page last updated at 12:59 GMT, Tuesday, 14 October 2008 13:59 UK]
By Andy McFarlane
BBC News

The jailing of four men in Cambodia for killing British charity worker Christopher Howes ends his family's 12-year quest for justice.

A plaque in a Phnom Penh street is the only physical reminder of the senseless killing of a Briton who wanted only to make Cambodia a safer place.

Christopher Howes had been clearing explosives for the charity, the Mines Advisory Group (MAG), in north-west Cambodia when he and his interpreter Houn Hourth were kidnapped and killed in 1996.

The 37-year-old charity worker, from Backwell, in Somerset, was shot in the back by members of the notorious Khmer Rouge and his body burned immediately denying him a decent burial.

So it was with pride and comfort that his parents, Roy and Betty, were told a boulevard would be renamed Christopher Howes Street in their son's memory.

His family had suffered two hellish years of uncertainty after his disappearance, before the Foreign Office finally confirmed his death. His heartbroken mother died in May 2007.

His sister Patricia Phillips told the BBC News website: "Chris was an exceptional, brave man, a good son and brother, and a tragic loss to us, and to the humanitarian cause to which he was devoted."

She recalled how the family had initially been relieved when he had gone to work in Cambodia, after a stint in Iraq clearing mines.

"We thought he was safe, but that turned out to be wrong," she said.

She said that in Cambodia her brother had been able to move around freely and would call his family from restaurants.

Even after hearing of his kidnap, the family had been offered false hopes numerous times.

"There was a lot of false information about Christopher being alive and brought out of the jungle," said Mrs Phillips, of West Yorkshire.

"When we finally heard that Chris and Houn had been killed soon after their capture, it came as a terrible shock," she said.

But speaking after the verdict, she said it was an "enormous relief" to the family.

"Although we have never sought revenge, we are very pleased the murderers have been brought to account," she said.

'Agony and anguish'

At this month's trial, Chistopher's father made the same simple plea: "We seek not revenge, but justice in their names."

His statement told how his son's kidnap on 26 March 1996 had devastated the family.

"We spent more than two years of agony and anguish not knowing whether Christopher was alive or dead," he said.

When told of his murder, their "terrible anger" at his killers was tempered by relief at finally knowing he was in peace.

Christopher's actions before his death were also a source of pride.

Thirty armed Khmer Rouge guerrillas had emerged from the forest to surround his 28-strong team.

When told to retrieve the ransom his kidnappers demanded, Christopher refused to leave his team and instead negotiated their release. Only he and his interpreter died.

In 2001, this bravery was recognised through a posthumous Queen's Gallantry Medal.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7661957.stm
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Lest we forget:
The Cambodian interpreter Houen Hourth was also killed by the same group of Khmer Rouge who murdered Chris Howes.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic