Fun at the vaccination center

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
kerberus
Expatriate

Fun at the vaccination center

Post by kerberus »

Registered before with the sangkat, got for me and my wife a number and the form.

After this we go to the designated vaccination center. They check everything again, we have to fingerprint the forms, get new numbers.

We sit down in the waiting area.

Village boss come to us, wants that I keep distance to my own wife and refuses to vaccinate me.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Fun at the vaccination center

Post by The Judge »

kerberus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:06 pm Registered before with the sangkat, got for me and my wife a number and the form.

After this we go to the designated vaccination center. They check everything again, we have to fingerprint the forms, get new numbers.

Village boss come to us, wants that I keep distance to my own wife and refuses to vaccinate me.
Yeah, Khmer are nice, xenophobic people that way.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

The Judge wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:49 pm
kerberus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:06 pm Registered before with the sangkat, got for me and my wife a number and the form.

Yeah, Khmer are nice, xenophobic people that way.
And they'd all still be driving a fucking buffalo instead of Lexus' if it weren't for western aid and intervention over the past few decades.

But please, bleeding hearts, keep donating your western $ to poor old Cambodia......when the chips are down look how they return the favor. :thumb:
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Love the way there is an anecdotal report of a particular instance and some posters jump in with generalisations that disparage khmers and claim xenophobia.

Come on. There may be more to this story.. OP- are you saying the village chief wouldn't authorise the vax papers based solely on the fact that you weren't social distancing with your wife at the vax centre? Did you fuss or argue with him over that? I mean it's not a big deal right? Is there more to the story?

And let's remind ourselves (and whilst there have have been issues around barangs having issues getting the required papers from the sangkat), the country policy as a whole has been that foreigners can get a vaccine for free just like the locals. And furthermore, as stated by HE over a year ago, existing, resident foreigners can also avail themselves of free public hospital treatment for covid just like the locals.

No discrimination there and doesn't sound xenophobic to me..at least at the highest levels..not disputing there might be some isolated cases otherwise.. Imagine if we were in Thailand, they've already made it public policy that there is dual pricing at hospitals for foreigners and that they must have their own health insurance.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:16 pm Love the way there is an anecdotal report of a particular instance
Particular instance?

How about AndyKK being endlessly jerked around?

How about the many reports of westerners attempting to get vaccinated being lied to and told to get a 'paper' from your 'embassy'?

I, the only westerner in line to receive a vaccine was the only person literally hosed down with anti bacterial spray whilst making my way through the queue.

I could go on, but you seem to see no issue.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Brody wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:25 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:16 pm Love the way there is an anecdotal report of a particular instance
Particular instance?

How about the many reports of westerners attempting to get vaccinated being lied to and told to get a 'paper' from your 'embassy'?

Yes granted, hence why I said;
and whilst there have have been issues around barangs having issues getting the required papers from the sangkat
But let's not overblow that way beyond what it is with much broader generalisations. As I said, these are issues at the local level but it doesn't equate to national policy or is necessarily rampant in the psyche of the community. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Certainly there has been with some sangkats, a disconnect with local vs national directives but personally, I wouldn't draw such a long bow and claim something a lot more than what it is. In my opinion.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

My experience was different, while I didn't get as far as the vaccination centre, I'm sure it would have been no problems as it was our local police who came to our home out of the blue, with the vaccination paperwork, he was going to take me there personally. I declined as only the Chinese vaccines were on offer and I was flying o/s in a couple of weeks anyway.
The police new this and he wanted me vaccinated before I flew to keep me safe. It was a bit award telling him I didn't want the vaccine at that time as he was insisting.
If I wasn't leaving Cambodia when I did and had no future plans to leave, I would have probably reluctantly agreed to get the china vac.
This was back in May.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Maybe something got lost in translation?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:37 pm
Brody wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:25 pm
Particular instance?

Yes granted, hence why I said;
and whilst there have have been issues around barangs having issues getting the required papers from the sangkat
But let's not overblow that way beyond what it is with much broader generalisations. As I said, these are issues at the local level but it doesn't equate to national policy or is necessarily rampant in the psyche of the community. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Certainly there has been with some sangkats, a disconnect with local vs national directives but personally, I wouldn't draw such a long bow and claim something a lot more than what it is. In my opinion.
I don't want to spoil this xenophobic party but I know several Khmer whom either had to pay to get their vaccine, their vaccination card, or both, in Phnom Penh.
It's not so much about who you are but about who the jerk is you're dealing with
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:11 pm It's not so much about who you are but about who the jerk is you're dealing with
That's a good point and worth keeping in mind.

(though there does seem to be a preponderance of jerks about)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic