Fun at the vaccination center

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Fun at the vaccination center

Post by AndyKK »

jah steu wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:08 am
AndyKK wrote:All these vaccines coming in donated now, just wait for the 3rd boosters and they tell you "NO" you can't have.
Your point being?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lets just see if we pay
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

HE has announced that a third booster shot is a necessity and the government will be using the AZ vaccine instead of the Chinese ones which have been the main one used to date,

Cambodia to Use AstraZeneca Vaccine for COVID-19 Booster Shots, Starting with Healthcare Workers

Phoung Vantha 08/01/2021 1:38 PM

PHNOM PENH--Cambodia will use the AstraZeneca vaccine to boost the immunity of people who have already been vaccinated for COVID-19 with either the Sinopharm or Sinovac vaccine, Prime Minister HE said on Aug. 1.

Speaking during a ceremony marking the launch of the vaccination campaign for 12-to-17 years old adolescents in Phnom Penh and three provinces, HE said that he has agreed to go ahead with administering boosters shots, using the AstraZeneca vaccine.

is that the Cambodian government showing that they know the Chinese vaccines are not as good as they were told and thought they were but without specifically saying it so as not too upset the all important Chinese government?
Serious question and I don't know the reasons behind Cambodia getting another company to provide the booster but from what I have read the Chinese version was not as good to begin with as in not as effective as the Western versions.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Kahuna wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:06 pm HE has announced that a third booster shot is a necessity and the government will be using the AZ vaccine instead of the Chinese ones which have been the main one used to date,

Cambodia to Use AstraZeneca Vaccine for COVID-19 Booster Shots, Starting with Healthcare Workers

PHNOM PENH--Cambodia will use the AstraZeneca vaccine to boost the immunity of people who have already been vaccinated for COVID-19 with either the Sinopharm or Sinovac vaccine, Prime Minister HE said on Aug. 1.

Speaking during a ceremony marking the launch of the vaccination campaign for 12-to-17 years old adolescents in Phnom Penh and three provinces, HE said that he has agreed to go ahead with administering boosters shots, using the AstraZeneca vaccine.

is that the Cambodian government showing that they know the Chinese vaccines are not as good as they were told and thought they were but without specifically saying it so as not too upset the all important Chinese government?
Serious question and I don't know the reasons behind Cambodia getting another company to provide the booster but from what I have read the Chinese version was not as good to begin with as in not as effective as the Western versions.
https://www.oann.com/thailand-indonesia ... vid-fight/
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kahuna wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:06 pm HE has announced that a third booster shot is a necessity and the government will be using the AZ vaccine instead of the Chinese ones which have been the main one used to date,

I think that they can carry on with what may have been what we could call a possible blotch from the start, with no real testing from their own in the country, but passed on to other countries and that of their people to be the guinea pigs of the vaccine testing for the Chinese. From the start its been all hit and miss with talk of corruption and back hand payments to show results needed. Now the Chinese have a back-out with the Delta virus that is doing damage amongst their own.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
kerberus
Expatriate

Post by kerberus »

So now we don't get the vaccination card until we also receive the Astra shot? 😂
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I think it has been handled remarkably well so far.
Much better than most "developed" countries.
USA and Australia, I am talking about you.
All of our neighbors are in the shit, with Thailand and Indonesia leading the way.
Vietnam ain't lokkin' too good either.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/04/asia/sou ... index.html
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

I think nemo should revisit and reconsider his/her posting about Australia and acknowledge it's very high vaccination rates for first and second vaccination.
Australia has done remarkably well, albeit coming off a slow start because the EU refused vaccines Australia had ordered and paid for and retaining them within the EU. We learned a hard lesson from this and now produce our own vaccines at CSL and are building our own domestic facilities to produce our own next generation vaccines for the next pandemic, what ever that may be, and for our annual needs.

And, Australia is a very generous provider of vaccines to other countries including Cambodia.

OML
highrider
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by highrider »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:33 pm
highrider wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:15 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:16 pm Love the way there is an anecdotal report of a particular instance and some posters jump in with generalisations that disparage khmers and claim xenophobia.

Come on. There may be more to this story.. OP- are you saying the village chief wouldn't authorise the vax papers based solely on the fact that you weren't social distancing with your wife at the vax centre? Did you fuss or argue with him over that? I mean it's not a big deal right? Is there more to the story?

And let's remind ourselves (and whilst there have have been issues around barangs having issues getting the required papers from the sangkat), the country policy as a whole has been that foreigners can get a vaccine for free just like the locals. And furthermore, as stated by HE over a year ago, existing, resident foreigners can also avail themselves of free public hospital treatment for covid just like the locals.

No discrimination there and doesn't sound xenophobic to me..at least at the highest levels..not disputing there might be some isolated cases otherwise.. Imagine if we were in Thailand, they've already made it public policy that there is dual pricing at hospitals for foreigners and that they must have their own health insurance.

That is complete nonsense. You're also trying to disparage Thais with these accusations and ignoring the reality of Cambodia.

Health insurance (for Covid) is MANDATORY for foreigners coming into Cambodia during Covid. It is not, for Cambodian nationals. This is identical to the Thai policy, the difference being in Cambodia coverage needs to be min. US$50000, in Thailand it's US$100000.

Cambodia has dual pricing for foreigners at hospitals and this has been the case for years - especially at private hospitals and clinics. Thailand does not have an official dual pricing policy but some government hospitals are allowed to charge foreigners more according to category: 1) migrant workers from Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar = generally pay the same as Thais 2) working expats from any other country and from these three countries if not classified as migrant workers = pay a higher price, perhaps twice this rate. 3) tourists, non-working expats = pay an even higher rate.

However, most working expats and migrant workers will have insurance, as will retirees, so paying out of pocket is generally not necessary. Private hospitals generally charge everyone the same, though I have heard the odd story here and there. Again, most people will have insurance, which covers most things, but not everything. The government 30 Baht health insurance can't be used at private hospitals, which is why you'll need private health insurance there.

This policy could have been put in place to discourage your cheap charlies from using government facilities and steer them towards the private ones, which are, in the majority of cases superior anyway.

As far as xenophobia in Cambodia is concerned - in my experience it's about the same as in Thailand. You're never going to satisfy everyone.
I'm not talking about foreigners coming into Cambodia needing mandatory covid insurance for what 20 days? No, I'm talking about expats living here. For example, retirees here can get a renewable retiree visa extension once a year without leaving the country and through a travel agent..no stress. Unlike Thailand that makes you jump through hoops...money deposit in a Thai bank account, evidence of medical insurance and need to renew visa at a gov't office which is a hassle.

Dual pricing in Thai hospitals is explicit from the top down. Discriminatory in my view for the gov't to say so..once you do that it sends an insidious message to the general public and perpetuates the xenophobia that exists there imo.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thai-p ... oreigners/
https://www.pacificprime.co.th/blog/dua ... oreigners/

So your assertion that
Thailand does not have an official dual pricing policy at hospitals
is wrong. Thailand DOES have an official policy of dual pricing for foreigners as per above.

In contrast, Cambodia does NOT have an explicit gov't policy for dual policy of foreigners at hospitals. There is a difference. Because once the the government sanctions such a policy of discrimination for foreigners that sends very much a green light to the psyche of the community at large.

I don't deny there may be/are different prices for foreigners in Cambodia but unlike Thailand it is not explicit, official government policy.
Actually, it IS. Most Cambodian hospitals charge foreigners more than locals. Some bus operators do too.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Ever tried living in Australia?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic