Fun at the vaccination center

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Fun at the vaccination center

Post by Chad Sexington »

Maybe I was just lucky, but my experience with the vaccination process could not have gone smoother.
Got my forms from the village chief 2 days prior to first vaccination day, rocked up to the vaccination center nice and early and got my number, sat myself on one of the chairs (staked down to ensure social distancing) and was waiting for my number to be called when one of the marshals spotted “the only barang in the village” and beckoned my to the front of the line, jabbed and photo taken within 10 minutes and on my way home again. The whole process took 25 minutes.

Second jab was even quicker, no forms to fill or photo to be taken this time (no barang privilege this time) in and out in 15 minutes. For the record, at no point during the entire process was any payment/tea money even hinted at.

OP admits to being upset at being asked to social distance from his wife, I’m inclined to think an element of attitude, and a “failure to comply with instructions” may be the reason he was declined his vaccination. As frustrating as it may be at times, I find that biting my tongue, rather than trying to debate a point (the language barrier prevents me from doing so anyway) is way more productive here.
highrider
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by highrider »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:16 pm Love the way there is an anecdotal report of a particular instance and some posters jump in with generalisations that disparage khmers and claim xenophobia.

Come on. There may be more to this story.. OP- are you saying the village chief wouldn't authorise the vax papers based solely on the fact that you weren't social distancing with your wife at the vax centre? Did you fuss or argue with him over that? I mean it's not a big deal right? Is there more to the story?

And let's remind ourselves (and whilst there have have been issues around barangs having issues getting the required papers from the sangkat), the country policy as a whole has been that foreigners can get a vaccine for free just like the locals. And furthermore, as stated by HE over a year ago, existing, resident foreigners can also avail themselves of free public hospital treatment for covid just like the locals.

No discrimination there and doesn't sound xenophobic to me..at least at the highest levels..not disputing there might be some isolated cases otherwise.. Imagine if we were in Thailand, they've already made it public policy that there is dual pricing at hospitals for foreigners and that they must have their own health insurance.

That is complete nonsense. You're also trying to disparage Thais with these accusations and ignoring the reality of Cambodia.

Health insurance (for Covid) is MANDATORY for foreigners coming into Cambodia during Covid. It is not, for Cambodian nationals. This is identical to the Thai policy, the difference being in Cambodia coverage needs to be min. US$50000, in Thailand it's US$100000.

Cambodia has dual pricing for foreigners at hospitals and this has been the case for years - especially at private hospitals and clinics. Thailand does not have an official dual pricing policy but some government hospitals are allowed to charge foreigners more according to category: 1) migrant workers from Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar = generally pay the same as Thais 2) working expats from any other country and from these three countries if not classified as migrant workers = pay a higher price, perhaps twice this rate. 3) tourists, non-working expats = pay an even higher rate.

However, most working expats and migrant workers will have insurance, as will retirees, so paying out of pocket is generally not necessary. Private hospitals generally charge everyone the same, though I have heard the odd story here and there. Again, most people will have insurance, which covers most things, but not everything. The government 30 Baht health insurance can't be used at private hospitals, which is why you'll need private health insurance there.

This policy could have been put in place to discourage your cheap charlies from using government facilities and steer them towards the private ones, which are, in the majority of cases superior anyway.

As far as xenophobia in Cambodia is concerned - in my experience it's about the same as in Thailand. You're never going to satisfy everyone.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

talk about easy> went at 9 am this morning in Kep, signed up , told to come back at 1pm.
did so, waited till 4:30 and got the Sinopharm shot,
no paperwork other than my passport>

didn't really want this one BUT as its good for travel , its ok for me. could care less about effectiveness.
Health insurance (for Covid) is MANDATORY for foreigners coming into Cambodia during Covid.
Only
covid insurance is needed to enter Cambodia and only a Forte policy for 20 days
not a big deal

at least Thailand you can choose which policy you want
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

highrider wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:15 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:16 pm Love the way there is an anecdotal report of a particular instance and some posters jump in with generalisations that disparage khmers and claim xenophobia.

Come on. There may be more to this story.. OP- are you saying the village chief wouldn't authorise the vax papers based solely on the fact that you weren't social distancing with your wife at the vax centre? Did you fuss or argue with him over that? I mean it's not a big deal right? Is there more to the story?

And let's remind ourselves (and whilst there have have been issues around barangs having issues getting the required papers from the sangkat), the country policy as a whole has been that foreigners can get a vaccine for free just like the locals. And furthermore, as stated by HE over a year ago, existing, resident foreigners can also avail themselves of free public hospital treatment for covid just like the locals.

No discrimination there and doesn't sound xenophobic to me..at least at the highest levels..not disputing there might be some isolated cases otherwise.. Imagine if we were in Thailand, they've already made it public policy that there is dual pricing at hospitals for foreigners and that they must have their own health insurance.

That is complete nonsense. You're also trying to disparage Thais with these accusations and ignoring the reality of Cambodia.

Health insurance (for Covid) is MANDATORY for foreigners coming into Cambodia during Covid. It is not, for Cambodian nationals. This is identical to the Thai policy, the difference being in Cambodia coverage needs to be min. US$50000, in Thailand it's US$100000.

Cambodia has dual pricing for foreigners at hospitals and this has been the case for years - especially at private hospitals and clinics. Thailand does not have an official dual pricing policy but some government hospitals are allowed to charge foreigners more according to category: 1) migrant workers from Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar = generally pay the same as Thais 2) working expats from any other country and from these three countries if not classified as migrant workers = pay a higher price, perhaps twice this rate. 3) tourists, non-working expats = pay an even higher rate.

However, most working expats and migrant workers will have insurance, as will retirees, so paying out of pocket is generally not necessary. Private hospitals generally charge everyone the same, though I have heard the odd story here and there. Again, most people will have insurance, which covers most things, but not everything. The government 30 Baht health insurance can't be used at private hospitals, which is why you'll need private health insurance there.

This policy could have been put in place to discourage your cheap charlies from using government facilities and steer them towards the private ones, which are, in the majority of cases superior anyway.

As far as xenophobia in Cambodia is concerned - in my experience it's about the same as in Thailand. You're never going to satisfy everyone.
I'm not talking about foreigners coming into Cambodia needing mandatory covid insurance for what 20 days? No, I'm talking about expats living here. For example, retirees here can get a renewable retiree visa extension once a year without leaving the country and through a travel agent..no stress. Unlike Thailand that makes you jump through hoops...money deposit in a Thai bank account, evidence of medical insurance and need to renew visa at a gov't office which is a hassle.

Dual pricing in Thai hospitals is explicit from the top down. Discriminatory in my view for the gov't to say so..once you do that it sends an insidious message to the general public and perpetuates the xenophobia that exists there imo.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thai-p ... oreigners/
https://www.pacificprime.co.th/blog/dua ... oreigners/

So your assertion that
Thailand does not have an official dual pricing policy at hospitals
is wrong. Thailand DOES have an official policy of dual pricing for foreigners as per above.

In contrast, Cambodia does NOT have an explicit gov't policy for dual policy of foreigners at hospitals. There is a difference. Because once the the government sanctions such a policy of discrimination for foreigners that sends very much a green light to the psyche of the community at large.

I don't deny there may be/are different prices for foreigners in Cambodia but unlike Thailand it is not explicit, official government policy.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:33 pm

I'm not talking about foreigners coming into Cambodia needing mandatory covid insurance for what 20 days? No, I'm talking about expats living here. For example, retirees here can get a renewable retiree visa extension once a year without leaving the country and through a travel agent..no stress. Unlike Thailand that makes you jump through hoops...money deposit in a Thai bank account, evidence of medical insurance and need to renew visa at a gov't office which is a hassle.

Dual pricing in Thai hospitals is explicit from the top down. Discriminatory in my view for the gov't to say so..once you do that it sends an insidious message to the general public and perpetuates the xenophobia that exists there imo.

So your assertion that
is wrong. Thailand DOES have an official policy of dual pricing for foreigners as per above.

In contrast, Cambodia does NOT have an explicit gov't policy for dual policy of foreigners at hospitals. There is a difference. Because once the the government sanctions such a policy of discrimination for foreigners that sends very much a green light to the psyche of the community at large.

I don't deny there may be/are different prices for foreigners in Cambodia but unlike Thailand it is not explicit, official government policy.
Quote from above - Cambodia but unlike Thailand it is not explicit, official government policy.
No, but when you renew your EOS you pay the agent for their work $100+ over the official price, some will say here take all your docs to immigration and get the official price. But you and myself know you will be likely fobbed off, and will have to return to an agent. So who makes the rules?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:50 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:33 pm

So your assertion that

Quote from above - Cambodia but unlike Thailand it is not explicit, official government policy.
No, but when you renew your EOS you pay the agent for their work $100+ over the official price, some will say here take all your docs to immigration and get the official price. But you and myself know you will be likely fobbed off, and will have to return to an agent. So who makes the rules?
$100+ over the official price? You need to change your agent.
I just got a 12 month ER visa EOS for a total cost of $330 (not 100% sure of the actual visa EOS cost but I think it’s about $290?) so my agent takes the grand sum of $40 for taking care of all the “heavy lifting” ( it’d cost me way more than that just in travel expenses) saving me the hassle of traveling all the way to PP and standing in line half the day.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

I have to say I was impressed with how my building owner handled the registration and both the visits for the jabs were no hassle. For the second jab, I got there early and was in the first batch allowed into the waiting area and I had ticket #70. Once everything and everyone was ready to start at 7.15am, before calling any numbers they selected the oldest-looking people to go first ahead of everyone else, including me!
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Bluenose wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:25 am before calling any numbers they selected the oldest-looking people to go first ahead of everyone else, including me!
Typical Cambodian queuing. Just like ABA, why even bother with the numbers :facepalm:
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Chad Sexington wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:23 am
$100+ over the official price? You need to change your agent.
I just got a 12 month ER visa EOS for a total cost of $330 (not 100% sure of the actual visa EOS cost but I think it’s about $290?) so my agent takes the grand sum of $40 for taking care of all the “heavy lifting” ( it’d cost me way more than that just in travel expenses) saving me the hassle of traveling all the way to PP and standing in line half the day.
Official price is $190 direct from immigration. Most agents charge $290/$300 for an ER (slightly more to facilitate an EB).
I think you need to change agents! :hattip:

But I don’t think the agent makes all that money. Maybe pay some to their contact but it’s more than $30.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

cautious colin wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:39 am
Bluenose wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:25 am before calling any numbers they selected the oldest-looking people to go first ahead of everyone else, including me!
Typical Cambodian queuing. Just like ABA, why even bother with the numbers :facepalm:
My original post maybe doesn't make it clear, I was one of the old people selected to go first. I'm only in my 50's but white haired, all the others selected were seriously old and nobody seemed to mind, in fact seemed to take it as a given that the elderly would be given priority (so did I even before I was picked). That's one of the things I quite like here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic