Fun at the vaccination center

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Fun at the vaccination center

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Just to expand on that, and no offence to OP but maybe I've been long enough in Cambodia to think I believe 90% of what I see and 10% of what I hear.

And so, I'm not prepared to extrapolate from unsubstantiated, claims and allegations unless it's widespread. It's the internet right?

OTOH I got up the Thais the other day for being xenophobic on another thread. However, in that case the circumstances were clear...a newsreader referred to hitting Indians before a cobra in front of National TV. The Indian embassy wrote to the broadcaster and it was conclusive what happened in that instance.

And by the way, just reading Kammekor's post, I recall Mrs Cargo saying some of her local khmer friends also had trouble getting their landlord to sign for their vax papers at the sangkat. That was at a particular sangkat that I later read on a FB expat group was asking for $$ for papers.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Brody wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:21 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:11 pm It's not so much about who you are but about who the jerk is you're dealing with
That's a good point and worth keeping in mind.

(though there does seem to be a preponderance of jerks about)
I am sure the jerk you're dealing with will make a larger effort to get some 'donation' from you than from a random Khmer farmer.

Edit: meant you in general, not the poster I replied to.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:21 pm Just to expand on that, and no offence to OP but maybe I've been long enough in Cambodia to think I believe 90% of what I see and 10% of what I hear.

And so, I'm not prepared to extrapolate from unsubstantiated, claims and allegations unless it's widespread. It's the internet right?

OTOH I got up the Thais the other day for being xenophobic on another thread. However, in that case the circumstances were clear...a newsreader referred to hitting Indians before a cobra in front of National TV. The Indian embassy wrote to the broadcaster and it was conclusive what happened in that instance.

And by the way, just reading Kammekor's post, I recall Mrs Cargo saying some of her local khmer friends also had trouble getting their landlord to sign for their vax papers at the sangkat. That was at a particular sangkat that I later read on a FB expat group was asking for $$ for papers.
Money makes the world go round and some Khmer higher up simply are not ashamed to financially profit from a situation when someone has to depend on them.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

Always remember that their whole "nationalist facade" is literally bullshit, they don't just scam you but they'll scam their own widowed sister.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:37 pm
Brody wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:25 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:16 pm Love the way there is an anecdotal report of a particular instance
Particular instance?

How about AndyKK being endlessly jerked around?

How about the many reports of westerners attempting to get vaccinated being lied to and told to get a 'paper' from your 'embassy'?

I could go on, but you seem to see no issue.
Yes granted, hence why I said;
and whilst there have have been issues around barangs having issues getting the required papers from the sangkat
But let's not overblow that way beyond what it is with much broader generalisations. As I said, these are issues at the local level but it doesn't equate to national policy or is necessarily rampant in the psyche of the community. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Certainly there has been with some sangkats, a disconnect with local vs national directives but personally, I wouldn't draw such a long bow and claim something a lot more than what it is. In my opinion.
I find your reply overly apologetic. The rollout here is a clusterfuck. That doesn’t mean that straw man arguments are acceptable, xenophobia has no place anywhere.
It has been 2.5 months since I was asked ( by my sanghat) to provide a list of names, id numbers, and phone numbers, for my co-workers.
I got a call asking to provide the previous at 8am one day. I rushed to provide the data, was quickly called back, and told to bring everyone @ 14:00, I did. There were exactly 2 people ahead of us. I walked up with all our documents (which I’d previously submitted) and was told to leave.
I now have everyone vaxxed ( who wants to be, smdh). But none of that was through “official” channels.
All of my co-workers are legal, even if they weren’t, imho, they should be vaxxed. If someone is illegal here, that doesn’t mean they can’t pass the virus.
This is something that affects everyone, any vaccine is better than no vaccine.
Xenophobia, fuck off. Ivermectin promoters, unless there is some data to show your claims( hint, it’s bullshit), I hope you go to jail for spreading disinformation
up to you...
kerberus
Expatriate

Post by kerberus »

I told you my experience. Nothing got lost in translation, nothing added.

That I am not getting the vaccine cause he have a bad day - okay (remember papers were already finished, fingerprinted and we had both waiting numbers). But the try to social distance me from my own wife made me a bit upset. He insisted that I move my chair away from my wife.

Anyway, no discussion with him to avoid future problems, I just left the vac center.

For getting the papers I needed already some days...

After that I drove to the sangkat. Guy at sangkat says he dont know his problem, the other foreigner got yesterday there a vaccination.

But I should not worry, there will be more vaccines for foreigners, too. But at a different place. I have to bring all my documents (copies) again (cause they threw them already away).
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

kerberus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:55 pm I told you my experience. Nothing got lost in translation, nothing added.

That I am not getting the vaccine cause he have a bad day - okay (remember papers were already finished, fingerprinted and we had both waiting numbers). But the try to social distance me from my own wife made me a bit upset. He insisted that I move my chair away from my wife.

Anyway, no discussion with him to avoid future problems, I just left the vac center.

After that I drove to the sangkat. Guy at sangkat says he dont know his problem, the other foreigner got yesterday there a vaccination.

But I should not worry, there will be more vaccines for foreigners, too. But at a different place. I have to bring all my documents (copies) again (cause they threw them already away).
Your Khmer was sufficient to deal with this situation, your wife's Khmer was sufficient, or nobody spoke enough Khmer to deal with it?
kerberus
Expatriate

Post by kerberus »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:10 pm
kerberus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:55 pm I told you my experience. Nothing got lost in translation, nothing added.

Your Khmer was sufficient to deal with this situation, your wife's Khmer was sufficient, or nobody spoke enough Khmer to deal with it?
Sufficient
Last edited by kerberus on Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Attempting to present and be jabbed tomorrow

I'll report what my experience is like, all going well
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

The problem I had was that the village chief decided to change the venue already in place, but to do the people in their own naigbourhood, but his own words "no barang", but this was also said, that my partner would also not get the vaccination because she was with a barang.
I see the word xenophobic, I don't think its has clear, firstly the big boss staited stick to the vaccination program, and don't leave anyone out. Down the ladder they don't seem to, or want to follow what is asked of them. Also, yes! I do think it is to do with monies, being thats what they think of the barang in many cases. Put yourself in their shoes, for over 20 years there has been donations from western countries.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic