Chinese Tourists Ask Embassy to Return Them to China

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Chinese Tourists Ask Embassy to Return Them to China

Post by John Bingham »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:49 pm
drozd wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:21 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:39 pm
Nav wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:26 pm How were 30 Chinese allowed out of quarantine after only 8 days?

Maybe I am missing something here?
And how come they can't afford their return tickets home?

And why doesn't the PRC have their own inward quarantine centres like every other country does?
I taught the Brits with their virus spreading background were the only ones with a designated quarantine hotel.
You are aware that COVID didn’t originate in the UK, right? It wasn’t some master plan by the UK to cripple the world.
Do you really believe that COVID was anyone's master plan? How would that work out? What would be the aim?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

perfide albion
drozd
Expatriate
Mexico

Post by drozd »

Nav wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:26 pm How were 30 Chinese allowed out of quarantine after only 8 days?

And why doesn't the PRC have their own inward quarantine centres like every other country does?
I taught the Brits with their virus spreading background were the only ones with a designated quarantine hotel.
You are aware that COVID didn’t originate in the UK, right? It wasn’t some master plan by the UK to cripple the world.
Yes I'm well aware of that but UK were together with seven other countries blacklisted (no entry) into Cambodia one year ago.
That was later on changed to a designated hotel, Brits only. By the way Good win for Italy!!! :beer3:
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:23 pm

Do you really believe that COVID was anyone's master plan? How would that work out? What would be the aim?
-------------

I don't believe the release was anyone's master plan. But once it was out a conscious decision was made by the CCP to ensure that they were not the only one's to suffer. The Washington Post did a very good (and long) article last year that showed the very top of the CCP knew the virus transmitted human to human for two weeks while they pressed international organizations and governments to keep travel open. Why? to ensure the West suffered along with them.

I believe that 100%. The CCP is the enemy of all people on this earth that aren't members of the CCP. Its long past time for Western governments to realize this and act appropriately.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:23 pm

I think it got out of a Wuhan lab by accident.

Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

drozd wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:23 am

Yes I'm well aware of that but UK were together with seven other countries blacklisted (no entry) into Cambodia one year ago.
That was later on changed to a designated hotel, Brits only. By the way Good win for Italy!!! :beer3:
Based entirely on experience of international (European and Scandinavian travel) in the last 18 months, I would hesitate to draw too many conclusions and make any accusations, poorly expressed or otherwise.
The suggestion that the UK has a 'Virus spreading background' for instance, that you later refer to blacklisting. Every single country that I encounter responds differently to the ever changing situation. Mostly, badly. Cliched, even.

Cambodia did very little about making the quarantine process robust. More difficult, yes, but not robust. Until February of this year, when it became apparent that privilege and corruption trump rationale and caution.
Belgium list EVERY country bordering Belgium, plus much of Europe, as RED list countries, while also listing some hot spots slightly further afield as AMBER. Meanwhile, UK list Belgium as AMBER. Yet the procedures in Belgium remained largely the same, but became increasingly badly managed.
International responses to new variants are varied, and often slow. A new, and potentially very dangerous variant pops up, and so the response is to limit arrivals from that region. OK. But lets have the new restrictions implemented in a few days time. NOT ok- If it warrants a tightening up of the situation, then surely that's NOW. The threat is now, so let's respond now.
But that doesn't happen. If it were a terrorist event, the reactions are largely immediate, and for predetermined periods.

So the suggestion that the UK has a history of spreading virus in a global pandemic is about as accurate as suggesting that all Mexicans are Cartel drug smugglers. Misleading, and not representative of fact, but emphasising a risk for the wrong reasons.

By the way- this is my second quarantine in Cambodia. I'm not in any designated "Brit' hotel, and I'm here having started my journey in the UK, on my British passport. Are there any hotels which are specifically for Brits? or did it just seem that way for a while?

Most countries have a broad, one size fits all type of approach, as they can barely manage the advent of a pandemic, let alone the variants.
Last edited by Freightdog on Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

drozd wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:23 am [ but UK were together with seven other countries blacklisted (no entry) into Cambodia one year ago.
That was later on changed to a designated hotel, Brits only.
UK was never one of the "blacklisted" countries. It was: USA, France, Spain, Italy, Germany & Iran.

The reason they segregated UK passport holders and sent them to the Okay Boutique was due to the Alpha variant of C19. Pointless exercise though, as they were/are only segregating UK passport holders regardless of whether they had actually been in the UK or not, and those non-UK passport holders who had actually travelled from the UK weren't been segregated...oh, and not to mention, they'd all arrived on the same flight, and then ridden the same buses to quarantine...poorly thought out, but worked out well for UK passport holders as they get one of the best quarantine hotels available.

Current entry bans in place for any travellers from or with a travel history to/through India in the 14 days prior to arrival in Cambodia.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:35 am By the way- this is my second quarantine in Cambodia. I'm not in any designated "Brit' hotel, and I'm here having started my journey in the UK, on my British passport. Are there any hotels which are specifically for Brits? or did it just seem that way for a while?
Yours is the only report I have come across in recent months of a UK passport holder NOT being sent to the Okay Boutique Hotel. All other reports of UK passport holders entering, even since you arrived, have them been sent to the Okay Boutique, they are even been told "because you are from UK and can spread UK virus " :ROFL:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:41 am
Freightdog wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:35 am By the way- this is my second quarantine in Cambodia. I'm not in any designated "Brit' hotel, and I'm here having started my journey in the UK, on my British passport. Are there any hotels which are specifically for Brits? or did it just seem that way for a while?
Yours is the only report I have come across in recent months of a UK passport holder NOT being sent to the Okay Boutique Hotel. All other reports of UK passport holders entering, even since you arrived, have them been sent to the Okay Boutique, they are even been told "because you are from UK and can spread UK virus " :ROFL:
Does that then mean that the virus is of UK origin? From what I've read so far, (and I admit to not reading all of the crap that gets spread about, as the media has been spreading more nonsense faster than the bloody virus itself) the origins of the pandemic haven't been properly established. But most thoughts are centred on an Asian origin.*
The 'can spread UK virus' is rather akin to a schoolboy accusation of "who smelt it, dealt it" response to smelling a fart. Whoever smells the fart first must be the culprit.
I see a fucking big hole in the international effort to curb the pandemic if that's the kind of rationale that people rely on.

*I'll have to consult my ageing atlas, as my knowledge of geography seems a little off.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@Freightdog I know sweet f**k all about the virus, and I'm not even gonna pretend I do. There are different variants of the virus, Cambodia introduced (poorly thought out and implemented) "segregation" of UK passport holders due to the Alpha variant several months ago, and a few months ago banned arrivals from India due to the Delta variant.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic