Chinese Tourists Ask Embassy to Return Them to China

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Chinese Tourists Ask Embassy to Return Them to China

Post by Clutch Cargo »

BillDoe wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:48 pm
atst wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:35 am Chinese tourist, no such thing as a tourist in Cambodia for the last 12 months or another lost in translation or as suspected by most special treatment for some
Is that what you think? They're flying these guys into Sinoville constantly and they aren't even required to quarantine!
I recall reading somewhere something along the lines that Chinese (and Korean I think) tourists get like a 12 month multiple entry visa. Dunno if they are issuing new ones tho..
drozd
Expatriate
Mexico

Post by drozd »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:39 pm
Nav wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:26 pm How were 30 Chinese allowed out of quarantine after only 8 days?

Maybe I am missing something here?
And how come they can't afford their return tickets home?

And why doesn't the PRC have their own inward quarantine centres like every other country does?
I taught the Brits with their virus spreading background were the only ones with a designated quarantine hotel.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

atst wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:35 am Chinese tourist, no such thing as a tourist in Cambodia for the last 12 months or another lost in translation or as suspected by most special treatment for some
Correct that there are no Tourist type Visas being issued, however Chinese nationals have no issues getting an E-type Visa without justification, there are agents who handle everything and applicants pay extra for the Visa applications to be approved. Many reports have been referring to foreign arrivals as Tourists...this could be because people are indicating on their arrival cards that the purpose of their Visit is "Tourism", or are entering on a T1/2/3ex EOS, therefore the Immigration officials are entering "Tourism" as the purpose of visit into the Immigration database.
Over 90,000 International Tourists Visit Cambodia in First Five Months

AKP Phnom Penh, July 09, 2021 --

Cambodia registered a total of 91,596 foreigner arrivals in first five months of this year, down 92.2 percent compared to the previous year, according to the Ministry of Tourism.

Of the foreign visitors, Thai tourists topped the list with 46,395 arrivals, followed by the Chinese with 27,693.

Most of the international visitors were tourists, businesspersons, and investors.
https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/235342
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:07 pm I recall reading somewhere something along the lines that Chinese (and Korean I think) tourists get like a 12 month multiple entry visa. Dunno if they are issuing new ones tho..
Chinese, South Korean and Japanese passport holders are eligible for T1, T2, T3 Visas, these Visas only allow for a 1 month period of stay, in order for multiple entries under these Visas they also need to apply for an Extension of Stay, T1ex, T2ex, T3ex, however they are only permitted a 1 month period of stay per visit. As all Tourist type Visas have been suspended since march 2020, applicant s cannot apply for a T1/2/3, only those with existing T1/2/3ex EOS's can apply for further Extensions of Stay and come and go as they please...so technically, people holding T1/2/3ex EOS's are entering under the assumption of Tourism.

drozd wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:21 pm I taught the Brits with their virus spreading background were the only ones with a designated quarantine hotel.
Yep, only UK passport holders are being sent to a specific hotel, everyone else is luck of the draw.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

On June 26, the embassy issued an “urgent notice” requiring travellers to China from Cambodia to quarantine for 14 days, including the flight day, in airline-designated hotels.

They would have to undergo “dual detection” tests – nucleic acid and serum antibody – at the Royal Cambodian Army Hospital and the National Institute of Public Health at their own expense.

Both Chinese citizens and foreigners must then apply for an international health code from the embassy and submit necessary documents prior to departure. The notice takes effect on July 11.

The embassy, on its website, said the compulsory measures were implemented as the number of confirmed novel coronavirus cases “imported from Cambodia remained high” and “many travellers were infected on the way to China”.

It advised people to assess their need to travel, given that the global epidemic is serious and the risk of cross-infection is relatively high.

The Cambodian government in the past has allegedly dismissed the existence of exported cases involving Chinese nationals who tested positive upon return in Guangzhou city, which is one of the main entry points for flights from Cambodia.

A news report by Hong Kong-listed Tencent Holdings Ltd’s QQ web portal, quoting Guangzhou Municipal People’s Government, revealed a chart by Nandu Big Data Research Institute where imported asymptomatic Covid-19 cases from Cambodia was highest at 19.

The figure represented 32 per cent of the total imported cases between May 21 and June 20 this year in Guangzhou.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/special-r ... l-recovery
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:07 pm On June 26, the embassy issued an “urgent notice” requiring travellers to China from Cambodia to quarantine for 14 days, including the flight day, in airline-designated hotels.

They would have to undergo “dual detection” tests – nucleic acid and serum antibody – at the Royal Cambodian Army Hospital and the National Institute of Public Health at their own expense.

Both Chinese citizens and foreigners must then apply for an international health code from the embassy and submit necessary documents prior to departure. The notice takes effect on July 11.

The embassy, on its website, said the compulsory measures were implemented as the number of confirmed novel coronavirus cases “imported from Cambodia remained high” and “many travellers were infected on the way to China”.
It's almost as if the Chinese don't trust their own vaccine that was donated to Cambodia for use.

During my time in line waiting for vaccination.....I overheard plenty of Chinese being spoken by many in line.

I'm sure a lot of the Chinese diaspora have been vaccinated whilst here.

Why the extreme measures........stinks of fear.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Everything to do with the Chinese coming and going in Cambodia stinks.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

drozd wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:21 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:39 pm
Nav wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:26 pm How were 30 Chinese allowed out of quarantine after only 8 days?

Maybe I am missing something here?
And how come they can't afford their return tickets home?

And why doesn't the PRC have their own inward quarantine centres like every other country does?
I taught the Brits with their virus spreading background were the only ones with a designated quarantine hotel.
You are aware that COVID didn’t originate in the UK, right? It wasn’t some master plan by the UK to cripple the world.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:07 pm
Is that what you think? They're flying these guys into Sinoville constantly and they aren't even required to quarantine!
I recall reading somewhere something along the lines that Chinese (and Korean I think) tourists get like a 12 month multiple entry visa. Dunno if they are issuing new ones tho..
Do they need a visa, or passport? I think I read on the site that Chinese pass over the closed borders without.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:21 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:07 pm
Do they need a visa, or passport? I think I read on the site that Chinese pass over the closed borders without.
Somebody mentioned that businessmen from China, Korea and Japan can get extended EOS, applicable for 3 years multiple entry (I think, or something similar).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic