Train Runs Over 2 Kids Sleeping on the Tracks

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Train Runs Over 2 Kids Sleeping on the Tracks

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Pursat Province): According to Kro Kor district police, a tragic accident occurred on July 7, 2021, at 4:00 am, when a train ran over two children who were sleeping on the railway tracks, 150 meters away from the Chrok La'eang waterfall in Bom Nok village, Pursat.

A 13-year-old girl named Nhanh Et was killed outright, and an 8-year-old boy named Nhanh Nhean was left with amputated left fingers and head injuries.

The dead body of the 13-year-old girl was examined and given to the family for the funeral, and the 8-year-old who survived was treated at the Chheu Tum health center.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ano63
Expatriate
Poland

Re: Train Runs Over 2 Kids Sleeping on the Tracks

Post by Ano63 »

Poor kids why were they sleeping on tracks and where were parents? :(
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's unusual because I've heard about this plenty of times but it has always been adult males. So I've put it down to drunkenness or suicidal tendencies. Otherwise the only reason I can think to sleep there is that it's likely to be well drained and relatively flat clear of undergrowth and bugs etc. The kids might have never seen a train and thought it was safe? Tragic anyway.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

More details:

One child killed, another injured by Pursat train

Orm Bunthoeurn | Publication date 07 July 2021 | 21:00 ICT
One girl died and her younger brother lost two fingers and suffered head injuries when a train struck the two victims while they were sleeping on rail tracks at 4am on July 7. The incident occurred in Chhoeu Tom commune’s Ponnak village of Pursat province’s Krakor district.

Nhanh Et, a 13-year-old girl, died at the scene, while the seriously injured brother, Nhanh Nhean, 8, was taken to Chhoeu Tom health centre for treatment. The siblings lived in the commune’s Cham Chas village.

Krakor district police chief Em Ron told The Post on July 7 that the accident happened where the road crossed the rail tracks. In the morning, police heard that someone had been crushed by a train.

He said police arrived at the scene and saw that victims were crushed by a train. The girl was lying on the tracks with a crushed head and neck. The boy was also hit by a train and had severed fingers and head injuries.

“According to relatives, the two children went out to collect scrap at about 3am to 4am. Perhaps they felt sleepy and slept on the tracks.

This was usually fine, but this time a train came and crushed them. Police have thoroughly investigated the case and determined the cause of the accident,” he said.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... rsat-train
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Heart-breaking news, there needs to be more education about the dangers of trains and the railway, also more too on road safety.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:35 pm Heart-breaking news, there needs to be more education about the dangers of trains and the railway, also more too on road safety.
This is so bad and sad. I know it's not unusual, but that doesn't make it right.
Police chief says:
“According to relatives, the two children went out to collect scrap at about 3am to 4am. Perhaps they felt sleepy and slept on the tracks.
This was usually fine, but this time a train came and crushed them. Police have thoroughly investigated the case and determined the cause of the accident,” he said.
Two things -
1/ two kids - one is only 8yo - go out collecting scrap metal alone at 3am
2/ the chief of police says that it's "usually fine" for these kids to sleep on the railway line (BUT unfortunately... )
:evil: WTF
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

They must have been heavy sleepers. I'm sure I would have heard the train from miles away and rolled myself and my sibling off the tracks. But kids really do have a talent for sleeping through anything. Tragedy.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:08 am Two things -
1/ two kids - one is only 8yo - go out collecting scrap metal alone at 3am
2/ the chief of police says that it's "usually fine" for these kids to sleep on the railway line (BUT unfortunately... )
How are the kids to be taught the dangers when those who should expected to set the example don't recognise the folly?
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

Sad. Terrible. What a childhood... Although just 13 and 8, they had to assume responsibilities way beyond their age. Those kids probably saw more truths and darkness in life than most teens and young adults. I hope it's not in vain.

The lion came home after public outcry. Perhaps now is the time for public outcry. again. Start a commission to investigate these rail accidents and improve safety overall. The people have to be vocal about it.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Unfortunately the people who get outraged about tycoon's lions and cement temples don't give a shit about peasants.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic