Best way to wire money to Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Best way to wire money to Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

Hello,

I am attempting to wire some money home to Cambodia from the U.S. I am having problems doing it through my bank online, and there is not a branch near where I am working. What is the best way for me to send a few thousand from the U.S. to Cambodia?
SwiftAsTHOT
Expatriate

Re: Best way to wire money to Cambodia

Post by SwiftAsTHOT »

Lonestar wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:44 am Hello,

I am attempting to wire some money home to Cambodia from the U.S. I am having problems doing it through my bank online, and there is not a branch near where I am working. What is the best way for me to send a few thousand from the U.S. to Cambodia?
World Remit

You should be able to send via their app

With World Remit there's a promo code 3FREE for your first 3 fee free International money transfers, so I'd recommend them as I'd imagine sending a few thousand dollars will entail large fees

They can pick up the cash at any WING location but you need to be sure that the phone number you put in matches the phone number of their phone because they will physically check the phone, that the number matches the sim. They don't even need ID just need the phone with the matching number and the code to pick up the cash
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

Thanks, I have seen many of these services...but just don't know which ones I should trust.
B6LC
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by B6LC »

Simply download the 'Wise' app (formerly TransferWise) and off you go. Your money will be at the other end in seconds. I can highly recommend!
SwiftAsTHOT
Expatriate

Post by SwiftAsTHOT »

Lonestar wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:04 am Thanks, I have seen many of these services...but just don't know which ones I should trust.
Both World Remit and TransferWise/Wise are legit though I've had no personal experience with the latter

There's also Western Union but not sure about the fees, if who you are sending to has ID, if you prefer to send to an account or cash pickup, etc.

I think these 3 are among, if not the most popular choices and definitely legitimate
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Used wise to get some money from Europe. They took $25 out of a $100 transfer (on top of their regular fee) had something to do with using the swift system.

From the US I would use either monegram or Western union. The cheapest way would be to have someone setup the transfer online and deposit it in person (the fee will be around $5-$10)
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

I used xoom. Com the other day had money in mater of a few minutes. Only issue you can not send to your self.. Can pick up 8n a matter of a few min.. At several banks
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Ive used Moneygram or Western Union lately. If you use electronic transfer from your account it will take longer. 😎
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

What are the fees for Wise?
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

Equinix wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:29 am Used wise to get some money from Europe. They took $25 out of a $100 transfer (on top of their regular fee) had something to do with using the swift system.
That's f'in outrageous. What's their 'regular' fee?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic