ER visa for a 41-year old?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
guybrush
Tourist

ER visa for a 41-year old?

Post by guybrush »

Can anybody recommend a travel agent in PP or Kampot that may be able to arrange a 6-month retirement (ER) visa for a 41-year old guy? At this age, I guess I am pushing my luck a bit, but I haven't worked for years and have a modest income from investments which is documented.

At the moment, I have an EG visa which I can only extend monthly, and I'm running out of passport pages. I can upgrade to 6-month EB for USD 485 (including work permit for 2021 and a 'fine' for not having a work permit in 2020), but at that price I might as well just buy a new passport.

My other option is to try and get a student (ES) visa, but I don't have any solid information on that.

Any advice is welcome.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: ER visa for a 41-year old?

Post by AndyKK »

guybrush wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:29 pm Can anybody recommend a travel agent in PP or Kampot that may be able to arrange a 6-month retirement (ER) visa for a 41-year old guy? At this age, I guess I am pushing my luck a bit, but I haven't worked for years and have a modest income from investments which is documented.

At the moment, I have an EG visa which I can only extend monthly, and I'm running out of passport pages. I can upgrade to 6-month EB for USD 485 (including work permit for 2021 and a 'fine' for not having a work permit in 2020), but at that price I might as well just buy a new passport.

My other option is to try and get a student (ES) visa, but I don't have any solid information on that.

Any advice is welcome.
Try calling Kim in Phnom Penh, 092 258 388 / 0810 820 388
Good luck, let us know the outcome.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I know people in their early 30s who got some so it's definitely doable.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I am over 50 and have tried for three years to get ER without success, via agents and DoI. Most recently, Call Kim said (and this was regarding EB to ER) "Can but need letter confirm from embassy Cambodia say you retired"

Anyway I previously had an EG which I changed to a 12 month EB at EMC, including achange of type fee, and an express fee it came in at almost $500. No WP required. And just recently I extended it for a further 12mo at A2Z Travel 19/130 for $335. I had also tried for ER at DoI and they also said to get a letter from my embassy (statutory declaration might suffice?).

Anyway shop around for the best EB without a WP would be my advice.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Yes it is possible if under 55, youngest guy I know was in his late 20s when he got his first ER, loaded and doesn't need to work.

If you do nothave official Retirement/Pension documents, then you can write yourself a statutory declaration, stating that you are retired and why, are financially stable, do not work and will not seek employment or business opportunities in Cambodia. Provide that along with proof of sufficient funds or regular income from pension, investments, etc and apply directly at the DoI Visa office in PP as they have been very lenient in the past 18 months...failing that shop around, there are still some agents who can facilitate this without official Retirement documentation.

Be aware though, that once you are issued an ER EOS, the Cambodian DoI consider you legitimately retired and will not issue you any other form EOS (unless you leave the country, get a new passport, enter on a new E-type Visa and start fresh).

In order to obtain an ES (Student) EOS, you need to be enrolled in a Cambodian registered educational Institute, and require a letter from them confirming that you are enrolled to study ABC for XYZ period of time, along with the Educational institutes license, and proof that you have sufficient funds for the duration of your stay.

Failing being able to achieve any of the above, shop around different agents for a better price on an EB EOS and WP.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:03 pm Failing being able to achieve any of the above, shop around different agents for a better price on an EB EOS and WP.
Bruh.........encouraging a guy to get an illegitimate, back alley EOS...........PSD-Kiwi, you're getting soft in your old age. :wink:
FOJ
Expatriate

Post by FOJ »

guybrush wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:29 pm Can anybody recommend a travel agent in PP or Kampot that may be able to arrange a 6-month retirement (ER) visa for a 41-year old guy? At this age, I guess I am pushing my luck a bit, but I haven't worked for years and have a modest income from investments which is documented.

Any advice is welcome.
I don't wish to be pedantic but there is no ER visa or EG visa. You enter on an E visa and then whilst in country you can get an ER extension of stay or EG extension of stay.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Brody wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:13 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:03 pm Failing being able to achieve any of the above, shop around different agents for a better price on an EB EOS and WP.
Bruh.........encouraging a guy to get an illegitimate, back alley EOS...........PSD-Kiwi, you're getting soft in your old age. :wink:
You're such a snitch!!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

FOJ wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:24 pm I don't wish to be pedantic but there is no ER visa or EG visa. You enter on an E visa and then whilst in country you can get an ER extension of stay or EG extension of stay.
Haha, I've completely given up trying to explain this one to people :facepalm:
Brody wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:13 pm Bruh.........encouraging a guy to get an illegitimate, back alley EOS...........PSD-Kiwi, you're getting soft in your old age. :wink:
As long agents, in conjunction with the DoI, are able to continue facilitating EB EOS's for people who aren't actually eligible, then people are gonna continue to exploit the loophole, no point telling people not to. :D
guybrush
Tourist

Post by guybrush »

Well, here's my progress report...

None of the agents I called in PP wanted to deal with it. I couldn't get on to Kim (I think @AndyKK posted a typo in his number, but I couldn't get through on 092 256 388 either). I managed to get through to EMC and Lucky Lucky, but they basically said no. None of the agents I visited in Kampot wanted to help either (Billabong, Romantic 168).

I called the Australian Embassy and they said they have never and would never issue a document saying that I am retired. They say they are restricted by Australian law to certifying documents (as copies of originals) and witnessing documents intended for use in Australia. Notarising any document costs USD 56 and is probably useless. They say the DoI knows that the embassy cannot provide the documents they request.

That basically leaves me the option of going to the DoI myself and begging, which doesn't seem promising.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic