Funeral Rice Wine Kills Eleven Mourners

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Funeral Rice Wine Kills Eleven Mourners

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

11 die in Cambodia after drinking toxic hooch at funeral

Published
29 min ago

PHNOM PENH (AFP) - Eleven Cambodian villagers died after drinking rice wine suspected to be toxic during a funeral, a police officer said on Sunday (July 4), adding to the kingdom's growing recent death toll from unsafe homemade alcohol.

In the past two months, more than 30 people have died in three separate incidents across Cambodia from home-brewed rice wine containing methanol, a highly toxic liquid that can cause blindness if ingested.

Since Friday, 11 people who attended a funeral in coastal Kampot province - about 155km from the capital Phnom Penh - died, while 10 more were hospitalised after imbibing homemade wine.

"The victims suffered dizziness after drinking the liquor," a police officer told AFP, adding that samples were collected for investigation.

Homemade rice wine is popular in rural Cambodia at wedding parties, village festivals and funerals as a cheap alternative to commercially produced drinks.

But there is little regulation of the informal brewers, and headlines regularly pop up of mass deaths from a single celebration or village event.

Last month, at least 15 rice wine brewers and sellers were arrested, while the Health Ministry has renewed calls for people to avoid drinking contaminated beverages.
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-as ... at-funeral
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Funeral Rice Wine Kills Eleven Mourners

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Someone should have kept a tally. I swear in the last 1.5 years there have been 70+ deaths due to bad rice wine.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

I feel as if the family will somehow justify the deaths as "so and so" obviously did not like them and Buddha (praise him, don't get me big dog) struck them down for giving whoever died a bad time while living
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

BillDoe wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:28 pm I feel as if the family will somehow justify the deaths as "so and so" obviously did not like them and Buddha (praise him, don't get me big dog) struck them down for giving whoever died a bad time while living
Have you ever actually heard any local say something like that? I haven't. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:03 pm Someone should have kept a tally. I swear in the last 1.5 years there have been 70+ deaths due to bad rice wine.
Yeah, and that would only include the people who died from drinking. It doesn't include all the victims of rice-wine madness who get their homes burnt down or get attacked with a machete.
Without doing a search, here are the "similar topics" listed at the bottom of the page.
And from memory, there have been quite a few cases of wives being killed because husband was off his face on rice wine, (and the woman had refused him money for drink, or sex, or she told him off for being a drunkard.) :whip:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's a dodgy liquor. I haven't touched it in years because it has a similar effect to whiskey for me, blackouts and weird aggressive behavior. You would think people would avoid it with so many deaths reported, but then there were a few reports over the years of one or two people who died from it and then the funeral party drank the same brews and loads of them died. WTF.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

BillDoe wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:28 pm I feel as if the family will somehow justify the deaths as "so and so" obviously did not like them and Buddha (praise him, don't get me big dog) struck them down for giving whoever died a bad time while living
That's a particularly crass post on a death topic without any foundation and disparaging of khmers. Come to think of it..a lot of your posts come over as trollish. Take 24 hrs off.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:23 pm It's a dodgy liquor. I haven't touched it in years because it has a similar effect to whiskey for me, blackouts and weird aggressive behavior. You would think people would avoid it with so many deaths reported, but then there were a few reports over the years of one or two people who died from it and then the funeral party drank the same brews and loads of them died. WTF.
My neighbors tend to drink ricewine. Main reason is the price (2000r for half a liter), another is they believe it's local brew...

One neighbor even makes his own from the local ricewine. He mixes it with black sesame seeds in a large bottle and starts drinking it after a week or three. He's loved by the men in the neighborhood for this.

When they want to spurge they will do so on Ganzberg beer because it's the cheapest and has so many lucky draws.

I try to avoid both the ricewine (easy) and the Ganzberg (much more difficult).
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:46 pm
Yes, I've heard plenty of locals discussing someone's karma and getting what they deserve. I'm not saying that is what happened to the ones who passed, we may never know.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

BillDoe wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:30 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:46 pm
Yes, I've heard plenty of locals discussing someone's karma and getting what they deserve. I'm not saying that is what happened to the ones who passed, we may never know.
I've been in Cambodia for nearly twelve years now and managed to speak the local lingo. Despite many foreigners claiming Cambodians pay a lot of attention to / value 'karma' a lot I have never ever overheard them discuss it.

So your experience doesn't match mine.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic