Funeral Rice Wine Kills Eleven Mourners

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Funeral Rice Wine Kills Eleven Mourners

Post by Grand Barong »

BillDoe wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:30 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:46 pm
BillDoe wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:28 pm I feel as if the family will somehow justify the deaths as "so and so" obviously did not like them and Buddha (praise him, don't get me big dog) struck them down for giving whoever died a bad time while living
Have you ever actually heard any local say something like that? I haven't. 8)
Yes, I've heard plenty of locals discussing someone's karma and getting what they deserve. I'm not saying that is what happened to the ones who passed, we may never know.
You speak khmer?
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

Grand Barong wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:17 pm
BillDoe wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:28 pm I feel as if the family will somehow justify the deaths as "so and so" obviously did not like them and Buddha (praise him, don't get me big dog) struck them down for giving whoever died a bad time while living
Yes, I've heard plenty of locals discussing someone's karma and getting what they deserve. I'm not saying that is what happened to the ones who passed, we may never know.
You speak khmer?
Pretty good actually, been here 10 years. I've attempted learning to read and write but didn't get far in that.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Kampot Province Bans Illegal Alcohol Production
Cambodia News, (Kampot province): The Governor of Kampot Province has informed the local authorities that he has decided to close down and permanently ban all alcohol manufacturing businesses who do not have a permit from the Ministry of Science and Technology.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

A Cambodian village ripped apart by a bad batch of rice wine
By Mech Dara & George Wright
BBC News
Published 3 days ago

In rural Cambodia, dozens of people have died in recent months after drinking toxic home-brewed alcohol. In the village of Thnong in Kampot province, a bad batch consumed at a funeral left tragedy in its wake.

Prom Vannak, 50, would rarely go a day without at least a few glasses of rice wine, especially after a serious motorcycle accident that left him unable to work as a fisherman.

So when his uncle Muth - who was also a big drinker - passed away in May, there was no doubt that the funeral would be spent drinking and reminiscing with friends and family in the village.

Vannak started drinking that morning and fell asleep early in the evening. When he woke up the following day, he told his wife he didn't feel right.

"He told me he felt very tired and that when he drank the wine it made his eyes feel drowsy," Hun Pheap recalled.

Pheap didn't think too much of it, and returned for the second day of the funeral. Vannak stayed at home to sleep off what they thought was just a bad hangover.

But by that evening, Vannak had started shaking and violently throwing up. Pheap tried to persuade her husband to go to the local hospital but he refused, saying he just needed rest. The following morning he was dead.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57496790
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:05 pm
I've been in Cambodia for nearly twelve years now and managed to speak the local lingo. Despite many foreigners claiming Cambodians pay a lot of attention to / value 'karma' a lot I have never ever overheard them discuss it.

So your experience doesn't match mine.
Agreed, this contention is usually made by people who are instant experts on Cambodian culture despite spending most of their time with like-minded westerners. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Deaths from rice wine continue in Kampot province:

11 wine sellers questioned over five deaths in Kampot
Khouth Sophak Chakrya | Publication date 29 July 2021 | 20:57 ICT

Kampot provincial police are questioning 11 sellers of rice and herbal wine for allegedly selling tainted wine which resulted in five deaths in Chhouk district’s Doun Yay commune. Two of the suspects have already been sent to court.

Commune police chief Sin Keun told The Post on July 28 that five men died and three others were hospitalised for suspected rice and herbal wine poisoning after consumption that began on July 26.

“The incident occurred after villagers attended a funeral on the evening of July 25 where people drank rice and herbal wine. They then suffered headaches, nausea and breathing difficulties and some died after being admitted to Chhouk district referral hospital,” Keun said.

District governor Khieu Rithy Phaon said the victims were tested for Covid-19 and the results came back negative.

Citing their relatives, the governor said people felt ill after drinking alcohol at the funeral.

Authorities have collected samples of wine from the village to test for poisonous substances.

Provincial deputy police chief Lok Nhav told The Post on July 28 that two wine sellers were sent to court after they confessed to selling the wine to the victims.

The suspects told police during questioning that they bought wine to produce a herbal variety by adding many ingredients, but they did not know the source of the wine.

Another nine wine sellers were allowed to return home after signing a letter agreeing to stop trading wine without authorisation.

“At this time, our team is preparing to summon two other wine producers from Doun Yay village to clarify whether wine was produced illegally,” Nhav said.

Soth Naroeurn, head of the provincial branch of the Consumer Protection, Competition and Fraud Repression (CCF), told The Post on July 28 that a working group had investigated places where it was suspected wine had been mixed with high levels of methanol for sale.

He said the manufacturers of the tainted wine had fled. His team found their production methods to be substandard, lacked hygiene and without a permit from relevant authorities.

“We found a lot of wine at the locations and temporarily confiscated it. We took samples to test at a laboratory in Phnom Penh,” he said, adding that a total of 11 wine samples were collected in the commune.

If it is confirmed that the deaths were caused by wine poisoning, this will be the third case in Kampot province since May when tainted wine killed nine people in neighbouring Kampong Trach district, followed by a second case when four people died in the district.

The provincial administration has since prohibited the purchase and sale of rice wine and traditional medicinal alcohol across the province.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ths-kampot

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Phnom Penh Trader
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Penh Trader »

As serious a subject as this is I can’t help thinking the photo above of the Moonshiners with their wares and brewing equipment is all a bit Monty Python-esque,it looks like the Cambodian version of the Great British Bake Off just waiting for the starting pistol to fire their engines up and see who can make the most lethal brew?
If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts,happiness follows them like a never-departing shadow.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Phnom Penh Trader wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:07 am As serious a subject as this is I can’t help thinking the photo above of the Moonshiners with their wares and brewing equipment is all a bit Monty Python-esque,it looks like the Cambodian version of the Great British Bake Off just waiting for the starting pistol to fire their engines up and see who can make the most lethal brew?
Aren't these the urine samples before the competition starts ? Anyone on ethanol shall be disqualified
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic