20Yo Woman Dies in Tuktuk, Refused Entry to Hospitals

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

20Yo Woman Dies in Tuktuk, Refused Entry to Hospitals

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On the night of June 1, 2021, a woman died in a tuktuk when her friends tried to take her to hospital. A 20-year-old woman known as Srey Lin, who worked in a restaurant and lived in a rental house in Sangkat Boeung Tompun 1, Khan Mean Chey, died in a tuk-tuk after many hospitals refused to treat her.

Before the incident, the victim was seen drinking with her boyfriend amongst six people. Four of them were drinking beer and the victim and her boyfriend drank homemade rice mixed with Sting soft drink. The victim became ill and her friends tried to get her to a hospital. The victim was declined by the Khmer-Soviet hospital and Panha Sak private hospital; only Calmette hospital accepted her, but unfortunately, she had already passed away.

The dead woman was then taken back on the tuk-tuk to the Chak Angre Krom pagoda, but they were not allowed to take the body inside until the police determined the cause of the death.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: 20Yo Woman Dies in Tuktuk, Refused Entry to Hospitals

Post by atst »

What a terrible tragedy and a fucked up system RIP
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It seems even more so that people who are desperate, in need of hospital treatment and professional care are today being turned away. Why is this, is it because of the fear of covid19 or just simply the person may not be able to pay for treatment? This case alone is just a tragedy that should never have happened, what I am meaning to say, everyone, no matter what of their personal circumstances, should be offered at least lifesaving care in such circumstances.
Unfortunately it seems like the professional bodies don't seem to care about what they are trained for (the care of fellow people, and saving lives).
Has far has payment may go, or even that of insurance policies, alone today that seems to be no guarantee that anyone would receive professional care at hospitals you may one day rely on yourself.
Please tell me if I am missing something here?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

atst wrote:What a terrible tragedy and a fucked up system RIP
Sums it up.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I've visited about ten public hospitals here and the facilities are usually very rudimentary. This was before COVID19. Gradually some may have been improved, I know that Calmette (French aided) and Preah Kossomak (Chinese aided) are getting huge extensions but in general most are not great. They are overwhelmed now with patients on an already stretched system. If Khmer Soviet Hospital has all its beds full and another 50 people waiting what are they supposed to do? Accept the patient then leave them in an 8 hour queue? What has also been happening is that people are bringing patients with trauma to small clinics where the staff are not capable of dealing with EMT stuff. Either way it sucks to be refused medical treatment but it's often because the facility isn't capable due to work-loads, lack of staff, lack of equipment and resources etc.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Don't doctors take some sort of oath to protect and preserve life wherever possible, or something along along those lines...?

I guess if you bought your qualifications from a friend in the know, this doesn't strictly apply.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

xandreu wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:52 pm Don't doctors take some sort of oath to protect and preserve life wherever possible, or something along along those lines...?

I guess if you bought your qualifications from a friend in the know, this doesn't strictly apply.
You and John Bingham have good points, but this is the capital city of Cambodia with a weak infostructure of health care, its all well and good having hospital new building extensions, but there useless with no qualified staff to care for patients.
Its all well and good for Cambodia looking for outside investors to make themselves rich, but Cambodia maybe better thinking about investing themselves in qualified medical staff who can treat them and the people of the country.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

This is bloody appalling. It must not be a "Cambodia-Only" social issue. It probably is going on in most countries that fall into the same kind of category.

I keep trying to think of a solution that works fast. But am coming up short. There are long term solutions. But in the interim... steps need to be taken to at least curb the behaviour, vs changing the mindset.

Thank you, Cambodia for teaching me that Idiocy is a real, tangible thing.

You killed another one of your Daughters in cold blood. What words would suffice to her loved ones? Bravo perhaps....

Great job.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Of the few times I have had to visit a doctor here in PP, (nothing too serious so far thankfully) I have always had the impression that the doctor expects me to know more about my condition than they do.

True story - I had a rather large lump on my head (in my hair so it wasn't particularly visible) that had been growing very, very slowly over several years. It started even before I left for Cambodia. It didn't cause me a problem and being a typical guy, if it didn't hurt and it wasn't particularly visible, I just kinda ignored it. Until one day a friend of mine persuaded me to go to a clinic in PP to get it looked at.

I guess my main concern was whether it was cancerous or not - I doubted it because as far as I know, cancer works much faster than the several years it took for this egg shaped thing in my hair to grow. I was given quite a thorough ultra-scan by. woman who was making a half-hearted attempt to show me what it was on the screen, but I can never make out those black-and-white images they use for baby scans etc.

All I wanted to know was whether it was dangerous or not. Was it going to cause me a problem? If it's not cancerous now, how likely is it to turn cancerous in the future. All pretty reasonable questions I though. So I asked the scanner-lady at the end 'What do you think? Is it dangerous? Is it likely to cause me and issue? She literally shrugged her shoulders and said "Maybe. It might do. But it might not." and with that she slapped her gloves off, gave me some towels to wipe the gunky stuff off my hair and left the room.

My friend and I were left wondering if/when she would return. She didn't. We went back down to reception and were charged $60 for the privilege of having absolutely zero extra knowledge of my condition than when we walked in there.

I could recall many other cases where doctors seem wary of giving too much information about the condition you've gone there to see them for, and I always suspect that it's because they're scared you might know more about your condition than they do and they don't want to look foolish. I've even been to doctors before now and after explaining my symptoms, been told "What do you want me to do about it?" - I don't know. Forgive me but aren't YOU the doctor and I'M the patient? How about you tell me what needs to be done??!!

I know they say that healthcare in general is improving in Cambodia. Perhaps I just need to stop being so tight and paying to see properly qualified and well recommended doctors.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

Even if the doctors or facilities were inadequate, they should have admitted her instead of leaving her to die on the streets. Pass the hot pocket.

I know village shamen who would have openly accepted her, albeit they have no training, they would have still helped her leave this world with diginity and love.

This is my qualm. The hot-packet issue
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic