A quarter of the way around the world in 31hours

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: A quarter of the way around the world in 31hours

Post by Freightdog »

Released, this morning, 09:00. 14 nights in total.

Not really a great deal to report.

The hotel manager looked into the Wi-fi issue. As I said, most hotels that I experience, anywhere in the world, will attempt to fob you off with a lame excuse, assume the hotel guest is just too damn stupid, and pretend the Wi-fi is working great. The Anik management didn’t. And the internet access was resolved. Good enough for streaming, downloading large files fairly quickly.

Food was plentiful, and generally good. A fairly decent variety, but no real choice, as such. A menu was prepare daily. The good bit, though, was that you can opt in or out of Breakfast, Lunch, and dinner. Each is costed at $10! And you are only charged for what you select. On average, I was only eating one meal per day for most days, occasionally breakfast, but usually a late lunch or dinner. Fruit is delivered with every meal, and it alone would suffice for an extra meal in my case. Usually watermelon, pineapple or jack-fruit, and papaya.
Only one day occurred where the meal options didn’t appeal at all, but I had plenty of fruit reserves to cover.

There’s a mini-bar and fridge.
Plenty of water.
Many of the staff speak good enough English for even the most obtuse traveller to get a message across.

COVID results. The first test results didn’t come through for 3 days! The second test was scheduled for 13th. On the morning of the 13th, we were told they now weren’t coming until the 14th.
The testing staff are clearly not well trained, and not that interested in time keeping. They test was scheduled for 8-9, but they were late, and the hotel staff weren’t getting a clear answer about where they were. The arrogant muppet administering the swab test probably previously worked in an abattoir, or was used to taking bone biopsies. Subtlety was beyond him. It was the worst swab test to date, by far. Then we were told the results would take 48hrs minimum. The hotel manager confirmed they had been taking that long, recently. However, 8am today I received the all clear after 24hrs and so was on my home an hour later.

Check out was pretty painless, straight forward, and no games, unlike my previous experience.
Room rate is $60. You can pay extra to have a balcony if you wish.
Meal rate $10 per, breakfast, lunch, dinner.
Limited order menu also, if you elect not to take the fixed menu.

Outside deliveries are not allowed, generally, but they did say they would allow deliveries during the earlier part of the day, once the first test results are returned. The other half brought some extra tea supplies, and fruit. Home comforts.

And that was that. Not a terrible experience for forced confinement, but so glad it’s over.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:28 pm
Several of the hotels have swimming pools, but quarantined guests are not permitted to use the pool.

If someone told you they were able to bribe security to have a guest enter, then they are either full of shit, or this was well before the Sokha incident. There are Police stationed at the hotel entrances 24/7.
Unless, of course, you are Chinese. Then you can do whatever the hell you want. :bow:
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

I just received an interesting document that the hotel asked me to sign regarding payment for my children. Is that normal? Is there any guidance regarding the quarantine costs of children?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Apollo91881 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:35 am I just received an interesting document that the hotel asked me to sign regarding payment for my children. Is that normal? Is there any guidance regarding the quarantine costs of children?
What exactly does the document say (can you post a pic, or send via PM)? Is it something to do with paying the hotel directly for expenses incurred by the children? If so then that is fair enough, as you don't pay a deposit for the kids.

There are no official directives which detail children and quarantine expenses, including the deposit exemption for those under 15, which is why most airlines insist on ensuring that families have sufficient funds to cover the deposit for all travellers including kids.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:56 am
Apollo91881 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:35 am I just received an interesting document that the hotel asked me to sign regarding payment for my children. Is that normal? Is there any guidance regarding the quarantine costs of children?
What exactly does the document say (can you post a pic, or send via PM)? Is it something to do with paying the hotel directly for expenses incurred by the children? If so then that is fair enough, as you don't pay a deposit for the kids.
The document has sensitive information all over it, so I can’t post it. From a meal consumption perspective, sure paying for the meals makes sense. If I’m incurring double the room charge though, that’s bullshit. It’s a family of 4 squeezed into a room for 2.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Yea, charging double the room rate is bullshit, unfortunately there are no official published directives which dictate the pricing for people sharing rooms. Most hotels charge a flat room rate, but there are several which are charging double room rate for those sharing.

I'll send you a PM with some MoH phone numbers you can call to see if they can intervene, but I don't like your luck unfortunately.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Apollo91881 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:59 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:56 am
The document has sensitive information all over it, so I can’t post it. From a meal consumption perspective, sure paying for the meals makes sense. If I’m incurring double the room charge though, that’s bullshit. It’s a family of 4 squeezed into a room for 2.
It's done by some hotels to discourage the ancient Khmer New Year tradition of squeezing 27 generations of one family into one single $6 room, but yes, I'd totally be arguing that one in your shoes also
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Isn't it illegal to have more than two pax in a standard hotel room, plus a young child sharing existing bedding
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Final closure to my quarantine with Anik-

$589 return from the deposit.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:12 pm Final closure to my quarantine with Anik-
$589 return from the deposit.
I said final, but I should have added…

Return of deposit is fairly painless.
They say allow two days after release from quarantine, you can go along to CAB bank for deposit return. Just turn up with your passport (they’ll take a photocopy) and annotated receipt- the bank will have access to the hotel invoice and MoH services, and itemise this. I was slow as I simple a fair few other things to do.

I believe earlier this year, the number of branches that could handle the refund was limited. On arrival at Phnom Penh airport, when paying the deposit, they now give you list with quite a few branches on it, across the city. Stupidly, I lost mine at hotel checkout (excitement and running around like Mel Gibson shouting freedom). But the branch (15 minutes walk for me) near central market handled mine.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic