A quarter of the way around the world in 31hours

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: A quarter of the way around the world in 31hours

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@SwiftAsTHOT no, you cannot order from outside, the MoH have directed that no outside deliveries are permitted. However, enforcement depends on the hotel and/or the police who are posted at the hotels entrance 24/7, some are a little more lenient. If the hotel has an in house restaurant then all good, but many of them don't.
Good idea is to bring a suitcase full of non-perishable foodstuffs, and get friendly with the staff who you can then ask to purchase stuff for you from outside.
SwiftAsTHOT
Expatriate

Post by SwiftAsTHOT »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:16 pm @SwiftAsTHOT no, you cannot order from outside, the MoH have directed that no outside deliveries are permitted. However, enforcement depends on the hotel and/or the police who are posted at the hotels entrance 24/7, some are a little more lenient. If the hotel has an in house restaurant then all good, but many of them don't.
Good idea is to bring a suitcase full of non-perishable foodstuffs, and get friendly with the staff who you can then ask to purchase stuff for you from outside.
Ahhh I knew it was all starting to be a bit too good to be true. Well seeing as Anik was one of the choices I'm sure most of the hotels have a decent menu. I'm actually not even sure if I'll bother attempting to leave and come back but I'd been waiting for months for them to life the deposit but with the surge in cases I doubt that will happen anytime soon
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Anik is not a choice...you do not get to choose the quarantine hotel, the MoH allocates hotels to flights. Based on the dozens of reports in the FB groups "Cambodia Visa & Work Permit group", and "Cambodia Quarantine Experience" group, very few of the 40+ hotels being used have or offer meals from an in house restaurant, my last quarantine hotel certainly didn't, I survived on pot noodles, whiskey and beer for 2 weeks, but did manage to get one of the staff members to bring me fresh fruit every couple days also.
SwiftAsTHOT
Expatriate

Post by SwiftAsTHOT »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:42 pm Anik is not a choice...you do not get to choose the quarantine hotel, the MoH allocates hotels to flights. Based on the dozens of reports in the FB groups "Cambodia Visa & Work Permit group", and "Cambodia Quarantine Experience" group, very few of the 40+ hotels being used have or offer meals from an in house restaurant, my last quarantine hotel certainly didn't, I survived on pot noodles, whiskey and beer for 2 weeks, but did manage to get one of the staff members to bring me fresh fruit every couple days also.
It's starting to seem not worth coming back... I know it sounds petty but I'm not keen on ready-meals and with the way things are heading in the KoW, might check out what other countries are open. Thanks for all the info guys! Regardless of what I end up doing it's definitely interesting to peek in on an insider's view of the process :bow:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Sadly, this is the first time in two days that I’ve had a working Wi-fi connection.
At least they haven’t tried bluff and bullshit about it like most hotels worldwide; you know? Where they pretend their service is world beating, and that you’re too stupid to enter the password properly! They accept that it’s definitely router issues.

The hotel instructions sheet clearly states that ordering food from outside is not allowed. How flexible? I’ve not tried.
I’ve actually been laid-up for two days with a swollen ankle- courtesy of one of those stupid pax who insist upon sticking their legs in the aisle as you pass! Consequently, my appetite has been more focused on painkillers and ice.
The hotel have been pretty good on a number of things.

Food has been good, and excessively plentiful, and consistent. The menu allows opting out or in to individual meals. How that affects the final bill is anyone’s guess at present. When I can hobble a bit further, I’ll delve deeper.

Other than not being allowed out, it’s not bad!
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

[/quote]

My last 2 refunds have been $914 & $805, 1st was appx $2700 but that was when the deposit was $3K and we only had to stay in the hotel until first test results were received and released to self quarantine at home. All 3 times I have opted out of the meals.

Deductions that are made from your deposit are...

- Room rate x number of nights
- Meals @$30 p/d x number of days (unless able to opt out)
- PCR test @$100 ×2
- Transport @$5 ×1
- Medical Staff @$6 p/d
- Security @$3 p/d
- Bank fee @$30
[/quote]

@PSD-Kiwi It's interesting that you get nearly 50% of the 2k back. I imagine that flight prices are 50% up on 2019 though.

Travelling at these times you need substantial savings. Some people aren't able too. They may have a house in Cambodia, but because of a meager pension they're either stuck in Cambodia or stuck outside or Cambodia. Others with children the flights and 2k per person fee is too much. A holiday during the school holidays would cost ten times what it did 3 years ago. I'll stay put this year, as I did last year and the year before. If I choose to do the same 2022 and 2023 we'll have enough saved to buy another house! 😜
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:14 am Sadly, this is the first time in two days that I’ve had a working Wi-fi connection.
At least they haven’t tried bluff and bullshit about it like most hotels worldwide; you know? Where they pretend their service is world beating, and that you’re too stupid to enter the password properly! They accept that it’s definitely router issues.

The hotel instructions sheet clearly states that ordering food from outside is not allowed. How flexible? I’ve not tried.

Other than not being allowed out, it's not too bad.
The ten dollars sim card might have come in handy, as would the driver's telephone number to pick up outside food and drink on the sly. Someone I know managed to bribe the security to let him have a guest.

Is there a pool to swim in? It would be nice to sit on the roof terrace with beers or a book in the sun everyday. Actually, I wouldn't recommend using the pool - my wife says that the majority of the hotel pools are never cleaned. 🏊‍♀️ 💩
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Phnom Penh Pal wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:25 pm I imagine that flight prices are 50% up on 2019 though.
Luckily I don't pay for my flights, unfortunately have to fly a longer route via Seoul though. Still trying to convince my company to reimburse me for my quarantine expenses, don't like my luck though.

Several of the hotels have swimming pools, but quarantined guests are not permitted to use the pool.

If someone told you they were able to bribe security to have a guest enter, then they are either full of shit, or this was well before the Sokha incident. There are Police stationed at the hotel entrances 24/7.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

when someone quotes these prices: "My last 2 refunds have been $914 & $805,"
they should add to be fair
1. they opted out of the meals
2. they ordered food for 14-15 days from outside and the costs
and that would be deducted from what they got back
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:14 pm when someone quotes these prices: "My last 2 refunds have been $914 & $805,"
they should add to be fair
1. they opted out of the meals
2. they ordered food for 14-15 days from outside and the costs
and that would be deducted from what they got back
I did state that I opted out of the meals in that post.

No food from outside.

I then stated in my next comment that for the quarantine which I received $805 back from deposit I survived on pot noodles, which I bought with me, and some fresh fruit which the staff brought me from the market every couple days, hotel had no in-house restaurant. So, $805 refund.

The quarantine of which I got a $914 refund, I ordered food from the in house restaurant, total bill for that was about $130, which was actually mostly beers which I had to start buying after the 3 cases my wife dropped off ran out :wink: So let's call this one an appx. $850 refund (don't include alcoholic beverages)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic