U.S. Ends Military Academy Progamme for Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

U.S. Ends Military Academy Progamme for Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

U.S. ends military academy progamme for Cambodia amid strained ties
Reuters
2 minute read

PHNOM PENH, July 1 (Reuters) - The United States has ended its programme with Cambodia to send students to top American military academies, a U.S. embassy official said on Thursday, marking the latest sign of strains in the relations between the two countries.

Washington has been concerned over China's growing military presence in Cambodia, with the Southeast Asian country becoming one of Beijing most important allies in the region.

The decision to end the programme had been made after Cambodia had ended some areas of military cooperation, U.S. Embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said.

"Following Cambodia's curtailment of cooperation in several areas of traditional bilateral military-military engagement, the country lost its eligibility for the U.S. military service academy program," Zwartjes told Voice of America (VoA).

Zwartjes said, however, Cambodian students currently enrolled in U.S. military academies would be permitted to complete their undergraduate programmes.

"The United States has encouraged the Government of Cambodia to assist its students with remaining tuition costs," Zwartjes said.

Some elite members of Cambodian society, including HM, the oldest son of Prime Minister HE, have in recent decades graduated from the prestigious U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

HM is now a deputy commander and joint chief of staff of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF).

Chhum Socheat, a spokesman at Cambodia's defence ministry, and government spokesman, Phay Siphan, did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the issue.
Reporting by Prak Chan Thul Editing by Ed Davies
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 1/?rpc=401&
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: U.S. Ends Military Academy Progamme for Cambodia

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

bummer
My take is that this finalises the discussions with the US Sec of State last week. and exemplifies their nature.

Despite preliminary positive expressions, it soon became pretty clear during that visit, that the new Biden administration was not interested in trying to make friends any more.
Their insistence on inspecting Ream Naval base made that point perfectly obvious. It was a demand that no country would ever agree to.
In turn, that attitude probably/for sure, is in response to Cambodia's intransigence about its relationship with its new patron .

America seems saving it newly remembered friendships for those ASEAN countries who will maybe challenge youknowwho and youknowwhoelse within that crucial forum.

Damm!!
but I suppose it has been shaping up that way for a while, so no big surprise here
Still, it is very unfortunate. It will affect us expats as well, in various ways.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Zwartjes said, however, Cambodian students currently enrolled in U.S. military academies would be permitted to complete their undergraduate programmes.

"The United States has encouraged the Government of Cambodia to assist its students with remaining tuition costs," Zwartjes said.

Who was paying them before, the US government or the Cambodian government?

Asking the latter nicely to start to stump up the fees might not work.

Either way, if relations between Cambodia and the US is so bad, they should not be accepting any students for any subject. Same goes for Chinese students, they should not be enrolled in any university in the west, and especially not sciences.

Let them educate their own. Nobody sends their best and brightest to China do they?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:47 am

Either way, if relations between Cambodia and the US is so bad, they should not be accepting any students for any subject. Same goes for Chinese students, they should not be enrolled in any university in the west, and especially not sciences.

Let them educate their own. Nobody sends their best and brightest to China do they?
I believe the US was. In the past couple of days there was a report that the RGC would now be picking up the bill so the program is not ended. I'm out and on a phone so I'm not going to find the link.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Maybe they need more space for their SA friends...
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

John Bingham wrote:
Doc67 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:47 am

I believe the US was. In the past couple of days there was a report that the RGC would now be picking up the bill so the program is not ended. I'm out and on a phone so I'm not going to find the link.
.Image

Sent from my CPH2159 using Tapatalk

Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yes, it has ended (and yes, US was footing the bill). Cambodian government will now pay the remaining 1.1million for the six cadets to complete their education there. Either way, good on the US. I don't see why they should bother accepting any new Cambodian students given the way the Cambodian government has aligned itself.

[Love the wording in the above: "US obligations in waiving tuition fees" LoL]
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:00 pm Yes, it has ended (and yes, US was footing the bill). Cambodian government will now pay the remaining 1.1million for the six cadets to complete their education there. Either way, good on the US. I don't see why they should bother accepting any new Cambodian students given the way the Cambodian government has aligned itself.

I agree, the relationship is quite strained so I don't see why the US would continue to fund an unfriendly regime.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

They probably noticed the flash expensive cars roaming the streets of PP on thier last visit
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:00 pm Yes, it has ended (and yes, US was footing the bill). Cambodian government will now pay the remaining 1.1million for the six cadets to complete their education there. Either way, good on the US. I don't see why they should bother accepting any new Cambodian students given the way the Cambodian government has aligned itself.

Good for them. They should not accept any more either, paying or not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic