What happened to ThaiVisa.com?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

What happened to ThaiVisa.com?

Post by sigmoid »

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: What happened to ThaiVisa.com?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Toxic shithole

Never did post there
angsta
Expatriate
Iran

Post by angsta »

Used to post pretty regularly 10-12 years ago. After the 9th ban I knocked it on the head.
It changed hands 6 or 7 years ago and has been headed downhill ever since I think.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i look daily an its great for Thailand up to date info, nothing comes close to it> Yea at times te mods are assholes ( no more than here)
but overall....

ASEANNOW.com - Thaivisa.com rebrands and expands beyond Thailand
On 2nd July 2021, Thaivisa.com will rebrand to ASEANNOW.com as they expand into 9 other ASEAN countries and duplicate their successful Thailand model.

This will provide expats and interested international visitors a place to discuss and discover many aspects about each individual country. At one point it appeared social media would take away much of the relevance of forums, yet over the last couple of years Thaivisa.com has seen greater interest and growth in their forum.

Unlike social media, such as Facebook, a forum offers a wide range of material easily searchable by its members - from schooling, motors, visas to immigration matters.

“Over the last decade ASEAN countries have experienced growth in expats and visitor numbers, so it was a logical decision to offer this valuable service to these destinations. ASEAN NOW will cover a number of important areas, initially focusing on local news, covid updates, visa/immigration latest and golf within each country forum section.” said an ASEAN NOW spokesperson.

ASEAN NOW has partnered with a number of regional news providers by country and has expanded its content team across the ASEAN.

Whatever your question to any one of the ten ASEAN countries it is our aim to be the platform to provide the answers. ASEAN NOW is a meeting place for experienced expats and travellers to share their knowledge and insight for those needing ideas and support.

ASEAN NOW welcomes new users who have an interest in one or more of the countries across the region to join up now and get involved in the forum. Please do share your insight and learnings from a particular country for others to learn from.
For the thousands of loyal users of Thaivisa.com, please be reassured that there will be no change to the service you have enjoyed for many years - all that will change is the name.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

I am an occasional reader of TV. Quite a few requests for Cambodia and Vietnam sub-forums probably led to this change.

TV is full of whiners, but some decent information can be found there. Nice lists of Thai music have brightened my winter days.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

For visa related changes I will pick up the headline from ThaiVisa but then prefer to follow how it is actually being implemented locally via the Pattaya City Expats page, the best local news resource since most members are retired old codgers like me on the same visa status. The inconsistencies reported by posters in different parts of the country on Thaivisa, while interesting, render it pretty much useless and counterproductive.

Otherwise I find it extremely helpful as a practical information source when searching on something specific. Example I had to shift my money transfer solution from UK to Thailand due to Covid and I eventually went with Transferwise through what I read on the forum and a blind PM approach to one of the more informed and helpful posters. In practice the new solution is better than my previous approach going forward.

The news and chat part of the forum is it's achilles heal for me, for clickbait revenue earning traffic purposes I consider its stance overwhelmingly negative and anti-Thai, and unsurpringly that is playing to the majority of its active user base. I don't think it does any of us living here any favours in that respect.

Regarding the rebranding, it looks as dull and unoriginal as its daily news/discussion content, definately in the mould of the front man, a particularly annoying fake whose company I've had the misfortune to be in on a couple of occasions. Not my cup of tea.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

they have added separate Headings for
Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Burma ( Myanmar), Singapore & Brunei
Managed/run by Tessanet Limited (Hong Kong). Which means they are beholding to China>>> ;-(
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

I guess that means they’re setting up to go head to head with this site. And TOF as well. No?
:dragonchase:
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Strawberryshake »

Seems like a smart move since basically Thailand lost completely its momentum in recent years. Much better to include promote more asian Countries.
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Post by La Quenta »

I was involved in publishing for years.

This sort of change to the product is usually the result of one of the following (possibly both)

1. A new owner, with fingers in many pies, and without any emotional attachment to the existing product
2. An awfully steep revenue decline

They've spread themselves incredibly thin.

Trying to be everything to everyone is fraught with danger...

Probably won't lose it's Thai enthusiast/Thai expat base, but it won't gain many subscribers/users from anywhere else.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic