The answer we all want to know.. How good are the Chinese vaccines?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

The answer we all want to know.. How good are the Chinese vaccines?

Post by xandreu »

Sorry to bring up yet another Covid thread and sorry to start a new one instead of continuing one of the many already created.

But as far as I can tell, and sorry if I've missed it, nobody seems to be talking about the most pressing issue right now - especially with cases starting to skyrocket again in Cambodia.

Just how protected are those of us that have had both shots of Sinovac / Sinopharm? I mean against Covid in general, but especially against the new variants.

I see a lot, a lot of news coverage that talks about how different vaccines still work against different strains of the virus, but there is next to nothing about the efficacy of the Chinese viruses. Perhaps I'm watching too much Western orientated news and the Chinese vaccines simply aren't on the radar there? But considering more than half of the world have been forced (either through financial or supply issues) to use these vaccines, I'm very surprised there is not more information about their efficacy, especially against new variants.

So, simple question - How safe am I (or those of us) now that it's been more than 2 weeks after our second dose of Sinovac?

For once, please patronise me in your replies. I'd rather that that lot of biological statistics that will just send me into a coma.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Does anyone know the answer we all want to know?

Post by Chuck Borris »

Stated that PP is like 80% jabbed with second dose already and new Delta strain is in town we"ll see soon I guess....
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Ambulances with staff in full gear come and go all the time in Phnom Penh. Doesn't that answer the question?
velvet_thunder
Expatriate

Post by velvet_thunder »

From what i heard from people who were there, it seems that about a small half of the people in the covid treatment center (the one for foreigners) were vaccinated.
However, it doesn't mean the vaccine is inefficient to protect against aggressive form of covid and avoid ICU.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

According to results from the Seychelles, Chile, Bahrain, Mongolia and China, the Chinese vaccines are not very effective against transmission, particularly in the Delta variant, although they still offer some protection against fatalities. They are touting a third booster shot to increase efficacy.

Biological data to send you into a coma:

"In the Seychelles, Chile, Bahrain and Mongolia, 50 to 68 percent of the populations have been fully inoculated, outpacing the United States, according to Our World in Data, a data tracking project. All four ranked among the top 10 countries with the worst Covid outbreaks as recently as last week, according to data from The New York Times. And all four are mostly using shots made by two Chinese vaccine makers, Sinopharm and Sinovac Biotech."

"In Indonesia, where a new variant is spreading, more than 350 doctors and health care workers recently came down with Covid-19 despite being fully vaccinated with Sinovac, according to the risk mitigation team of the Indonesian Medical Association. Across the country, 61 doctors died between February and June 7. Ten of them had taken the Chinese-made vaccine, the association said."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/22/busi ... break.html

"Researchers found that Chinese vaccines are somewhat effective in reducing the risk of symptomatic and severe cases caused by Delta, Zhong Nanshan, a epidemiologist who helped shape China's COVID-19 response, told reporters. ...

He said a booster shot following the two dose-based regimen could quickly elicit stronger and more durable antibody reaction against the Delta. However, he didn't provide detailed data.

Antibodies triggered by two Chinese vaccines are less effective against the Delta compared with other variants, Feng Zijian, former deputy director at the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, told state media last week.

The shots could still offer protection, since none of those vaccinated in southern Guangdong province, where China's first cases of the Delta variant were found, developed severe symptoms. All severe cases are from unvaccinated people."

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/are ... 021-06-29/
Last edited by siliconlife on Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

http://www.healthdata.org/covid/covid-1 ... cy-summary
COVID-19 vaccine efficacy summary
Publication date:
June 4, 2021

To project future COVID-19 trends, IHME centralizes and updates all available data on vaccine efficacy. This document summarizes the available data and key underlying assumptions of IHME’s projections. This page is updated monthly; for interim updates please see the "Methods updates" section of our weekly policy briefings.

Review and summary of available data

Using all publications, reports, and news articles, we review all available data to find how effective vaccines are at achieving multiple outcomes. “Vaccine efficacy” is not a single number – we capture:

Prevention of symptomatic disease: a vaccine’s efficacy at causing an exposed individual not to suffer the symptoms of COVID-19 infection. The person can contract the virus but will not develop disease.
Prevention of severe disease: a vaccine’s efficacy at preventing an exposed person from developing more serious symptoms that often require hospitalization.
Prevention of infection: a vaccine’s efficacy at stopping transmission of the virus from one person to another. An exposed person will not contract the virus, and by definition they will also not develop symptoms or disease.

For each of the outcomes above, we also capture the differences by:

First dose versus complete regimen (not applicable for 1-dose vaccines, like Johnson & Johnson)
Asymptomatic, any symptomatic, or severe disease
Variant of COVID-19: D614G (ancestral type*), B.1.1.7, B.1.351, P.1, B.1.617

*Ancestral type is the predominant global strain of a virus.

Where genomic sequencing of cases did not occur, we use the location of the study as a proxy for the predominant variant type. For example, studies in South Africa were assumed to represent efficacy against B.1.351.

Data available today consist of clinical trials and several quasi-observational studies. Table 1 summarizes the available data to date:

For more details on this go to the link above.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

velvet_thunder wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:02 pm From what i heard from people who were there, it seems that about a small half of the people in the covid treatment center (the one for foreigners) were vaccinated.
However, it doesn't mean the vaccine is inefficient to protect against aggressive form of covid and avoid ICU.
"small half" - what does that mean? If they didn't have an aggressive form of the Vid, then what were they doing there? Are they hypochondriacs? Unless they are pussies that run to doctor at the first sniff, they needed treatment meaning the Chinese juice is weak as pig shit.
How often do people go to the doctor these days. I'm nearly 60, and haven't been to a quack for so long I can't remember. Prob a kid. Work it out yourself on the interweb, pharmacists know stuff, too. Apple cider vinegar, folks. When I was a boy, I had to sew my own head back on (open worm can here)!
350 Sinovaced doctors die!? I am guessing more than a "big half" of those had healthy life choices.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

xandreu wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:22 pm Sorry to bring up yet another Covid thread and sorry to start a new one instead of continuing one of the many already created.

But as far as I can tell, and sorry if I've missed it, nobody seems to be talking about the most pressing issue right now - especially with cases starting to skyrocket again in Cambodia.

Just how protected are those of us that have had both shots of Sinovac / Sinopharm? I mean against Covid in general, but especially against the new variants.

I see a lot, a lot of news coverage that talks about how different vaccines still work against different strains of the virus, but there is next to nothing about the efficacy of the Chinese viruses. Perhaps I'm watching too much Western orientated news and the Chinese vaccines simply aren't on the radar there? But considering more than half of the world have been forced (either through financial or supply issues) to use these vaccines, I'm very surprised there is not more information about their efficacy, especially against new variants.

So, simple question - How safe am I (or those of us) now that it's been more than 2 weeks after our second dose of Sinovac?

For once, please patronise me in your replies. I'd rather that that lot of biological statistics that will just send me into a coma.
Yeah, after considering all those options I think you are right. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Has long has the Chinese vaccines did not harm or kill anyone on or after vaccination, I think any previous data was irrelevant. (only to give it safe use) It had been given emergency use, by the WHO and is being used in countries mentioned in posts on this thread, the actual ongoing data, that of the vaccines use, and also the wellbeing of the vaccines hosts, me, you and many others are the new and main ongoing data test. Will it keep us safe? We are all hoping so, or until there is a new super vaccine developed.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
velvet_thunder
Expatriate

Post by velvet_thunder »

@Pseudonomdeplume When i talked about covid treatment center, i meant the place where the cosmonauts are going to bring you to after a positive covid test (and the walk of shame out of your house filmed by your lovely neighbors of course) whether you are a pussy, or feeing like a healthy asymptomatic. My guess is most of the people there where brought after a mandatory test related to arrival/departure of the country.

So yes, i wouldn't get tested just for the sake of it, except if i had to after a contact, or was feeling really sick.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic