The answer we all want to know.. How good are the Chinese vaccines?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Little_Vicious
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: The answer we all want to know.. How good are the Chinese vaccines?

Post by Little_Vicious »

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 021-07-11/

Here's an article regarding breakthrough infections in Thai medical workers fully vaccinated with Sinovac. While about 600 have been infected, the article provides a bit of context noting that around 670,000 workers had been vaccinated. It would seem that the relatively small proportion of breakthrough infections suggests that Sinovac is working in this context, at least.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

I’m beginning to get a strong impression that the vaccines are not that effective at preventing infection and therefore transmission.
Most of our local songkat office staff and many local police have all recently tested positive to covid. All vaccinated some months ago with either Sinovac or Sinopharm.
Two of my staff, all of whom were vaccinated, also tested positive.
It seems the vaccines are nearly 100% effective at stopping serious covid symptoms and death, but not very effective at preventing infection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
highrider
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by highrider »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:21 pm
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:55 am If "the answer we all want to know" is "How good are the Chinese vaccines", the question to the answer we all want to know, would therefore be "What is everyone asking about Chinese vaccinations?"
Are people asking questions any more, there doesn't seem to be any answers.
I would like to know if all the Chinese have been vaccinated with their own vaccines.
There's written percentages of how effective the vaccines are, but no positive data to back up the figures, only data from the countries whom have been donated or sold the vaccine.
Lately in the news is that the Chinese who visit these countries have now to quarantine for 14 days before returning to their own country of China, due to a high number of returnees having tested positive for Covid has they return.
I know it has been written that the vaccine will not stop a person from getting the Covid19 virus, but it may save the person's life.
Medical personal on the front line have been vaccinated but have surcome to the virus, and has a result have lost their lives.
It's recommend that people with illness or having to take regular medication for treatments should abstain from having the vaccine. I am glad to hear that it didn't stay has a mandatory task here for obvious reasons.
The vaccine programs go ahead in many of these countries today and also tomorrow, how many of you have been vaccinated with the Chinese vaccine, how many of you believe in these vaccines, or like myself took the risk on hope because that is all that there is, and how many more of you had the vaccine because of gaining the more important card, due to firstly talk of not being allowed in establishments to buy the essential items needed, or EOS extensions. Also onward travel or return to that of your own country if need be.
Mostly questions, with very elusive answers. Approved by the World Health Organisation for emergency use, regards that there's no data supplied to support this vaccine and it's intended use in protection against Covid19.
Since when have Chinese been permitted to return home from abroad without quarantining? China has among the world's toughest quarantine laws and EVERYONE has been required to quarantine when returning to China, since late March 2020. Home quarantine is not permitted. Whoever suggested that Chinese could previously return home from Cambodia or anywhere else without quarantine is sorely mistaken. The policy has been clear from the beginning - 14 days in a hotel or quarantine camp, and more recently they've added an extra week or two of home quarantine or "health monitoring" after release from the government facility.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

An outbreak of Covid-19 has been confirmed on the Royal Navy's flagship, HMS Queen Elizabeth.

The BBC has been told there have been around 100 cases on the aircraft carrier, which is part way through a world tour.

Several other warships in the fleet accompanying it are also affected.

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said all crew on the deployment had received two doses of a Covid-19 vaccine and the outbreak was being managed.

HMS Queen Elizabeth is about a quarter of the way through a 28-week deployment leading the Carrier Strike Group (CSG).

It has now entered the Indian Ocean, and the Royal Navy says it is due to continue on its voyage to Japan later this year.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57830617
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

highrider wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:25 pm
AndyKK wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:21 pm
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:55 am If "the answer we all want to know" is "How good are the Chinese vaccines", the question to the answer we all want to know, would therefore be "What is everyone asking about Chinese vaccinations?"
Are people asking questions any more, there doesn't seem to be any answers.
I would like to know if all the Chinese have been vaccinated with their own vaccines.
There's written percentages of how effective the vaccines are, but no positive data to back up the figures, only data from the countries whom have been donated or sold the vaccine.
Lately in the news is that the Chinese who visit these countries have now to quarantine for 14 days before returning to their own country of China, due to a high number of returnees having tested positive for Covid has they return.
I know it has been written that the vaccine will not stop a person from getting the Covid19 virus, but it may save the person's life.
Medical personal on the front line have been vaccinated but have surcome to the virus, and has a result have lost their lives.
It's recommend that people with illness or having to take regular medication for treatments should abstain from having the vaccine. I am glad to hear that it didn't stay has a mandatory task here for obvious reasons.
The vaccine programs go ahead in many of these countries today and also tomorrow, how many of you have been vaccinated with the Chinese vaccine, how many of you believe in these vaccines, or like myself took the risk on hope because that is all that there is, and how many more of you had the vaccine because of gaining the more important card, due to firstly talk of not being allowed in establishments to buy the essential items needed, or EOS extensions. Also onward travel or return to that of your own country if need be.
Mostly questions, with very elusive answers. Approved by the World Health Organisation for emergency use, regards that there's no data supplied to support this vaccine and it's intended use in protection against Covid19.
Since when have Chinese been permitted to return home from abroad without quarantining? China has among the world's toughest quarantine laws and EVERYONE has been required to quarantine when returning to China, since late March 2020. Home quarantine is not permitted. Whoever suggested that Chinese could previously return home from Cambodia or anywhere else without quarantine is sorely mistaken. The policy has been clear from the beginning - 14 days in a hotel or quarantine camp, and more recently they've added an extra week or two of home quarantine or "health monitoring" after release from the government facility.
As I understand it, they have to quarantine before leaving as well now.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

jah steu wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:44 pm I’m beginning to get a strong impression that the vaccines are not that effective at preventing infection and therefore transmission.
Most of our local songkat office staff and many local police have all recently tested positive to covid. All vaccinated some months ago with either Sinovac or Sinopharm.
It seems the vaccines are nearly 100% effective at stopping serious covid symptoms and death, but not very effective at preventing infection.

I never thought they were going to prevent someone catching covid>
only prevent them from becoming seriously ill and dying
An April study from the University of Chile put the effectiveness of a single dose of Covid-19 vaccine at 3% for protecting against symptomatic infection, based on an examination of seven million vaccinated people.
Sinovac
...showed an an efficacy of 51% against mild disease and 100% against hospitalization.

Sinophram
had an efficacy rate of 79% and Vaccine efficacy against hospitalization was 79%.

for both:
....There is currently no substantive data available related to the impact of COVID-19 vaccine Sinovac-CoronaVac on transmission of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 disease

New waves of Covid-19 cases in places with a high per capita level of Sinopharm or Sinovac vaccinations have raised concerns that the vaccines have lower real-world effectiveness than officials may have been hoping.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

jah steu wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:44 pm I’m beginning to get a strong impression that the vaccines are not that effective at preventing infection and therefore transmission.

Maybe it comes from the test. Who knows?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Anyone know the answer! Why has the change been made in Phnom Penh from the first shot, of 14 days to the second shot. Now 21 days between shots?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:22 pm Anyone know the answer! Why has the change been made in Phnom Penh from the first shot, of 14 days to the second shot. Now 21 days between shots?
It could be a logistical move to manage current and future supplies better. Or it could be designed to focus on getting a lot more first doses out now during the current outbreak. Either way, Sinovac was reportedly more effective with a four week spacing anyway.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:22 pm Anyone know the answer! Why has the change been made in Phnom Penh from the first shot, of 14 days to the second shot. Now 21 days between shots?
-------------------

Here in Siem Reap, last night they told folks no more #1 shots available. But they supposedly have all the #2 shots. So it may simply be a matter of available supplies. They are administering Sinopharm here in Siem Reap.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic