Young Cambodian People Nowadays...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Young Cambodian People Nowadays...

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

... do not respect their elders.
Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On June 30, 2021, at 7:40 am on the street to Chamkar Dong Agriculture School in Khvar village, Khan Dongkor, an elderly man riding an electric bicycle was hit by a young man who drove a Scoopy (plate Phnom Penh 1IM-9559).

According to local eyewitnesses, an elderly man was seen riding a battery bike along the concrete road of Chamkar Dong Agricultural School from east to west, when a hippie boy, riding a white MacSco motorcycle with license plate Phnom Penh 1lM-9559, came from behind at high speed and hit the old man's bicycle wheel, causing it to fall over. The young man helped lift the bike off the old man, but did not apologize, and continued forward on his motorbike about 50 meters, when he turned back and went to slap the elderly man with one hand, to the surprise of the nearby shopkeepers and passers-by.

The villagers helped the old man, and the police were called in after the altercation escalated, when both sides of the family came to join the argument. When the Dangkor police arrived at the scene, they also gave instructions to the teenager to educate him about his behavior, but the gangster* did not listen to the police and even argued that he was right.
The victim and his family forgave the young man after the offender's mother apologized to the old man on behalf of her son.

*gangster - expression often used by journalists to describe people, usually young men, behaving badly.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Young Cambodian People Nowadays...

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Kandal Province): On the night of July 10, 2021, the Kien Svay district police detained 2 groups of teenage gangsters after they destroyed public and private property in the village and also caused a public disturbance.
After being taken to the police station, the teenage gangsters' parents were called, and they publicly apologized on behalf of their children. However, the suspects were kept in custody in order to be rehabilitated before being released into their parents' custody.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I'm sorry but I would never ever had put one of my parents in the position of publicly apologising on behalf of myself. I would say that is a total disgrace of a child's actions towards the parents and he/she needs to act on their own responsibilities and grow up.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:23 pm I'm sorry but I would never ever had put one of my parents in the position of publicly apologising on behalf of myself. I would say that is a total disgrace of a child's actions towards the parents and he/she needs to act on their own responsibilities and grow up.
Agree, it sets a very poor example for the youngsters and tantamount to abrogation of their personal responsibility. Should make them do some community service work.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Yeah, the kid was out of line and any social graces have escaped him it seems, this is a worldwide problem but its poignant here when it strikes. I wonder if on some level it's a matter of the "sins of the father visiting twice upon the son" here? Where did the kid get this kind of training where he can slap up on an old man after hitting him with his moto?
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

bossho wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:39 pm Yeah, the kid was out of line and any social graces have escaped him it seems, this is a worldwide problem but its poignant here when it strikes. I wonder if on some level it's a matter of the "sins of the father visiting twice upon the son" here? Where did the kid get this kind of training where he can slap up on an old man after hitting him with his moto?
I have 2 barang friends who married Khmer women (not bargirls) and each had a child. Both had longterm relationships with the women before having a child. Now both of them have gotten a divorce for one specific reason only. Their wives absolutely refused in any way to discipline the children. This led to constant fighting with their wives over this issue and living in the same house as the wild child was unbearable. Common in Cambodia?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I don't think that is normal at all. Mothers are usually the disciplinarians in the family.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Discipline doesn't come in the two cases above, it's being taught right from wrong.
I was reading up on this issue - The fact that punishment doesn't actually teach kids right from wrong. In fact, many studies show that punishment just teaches kids not to get caught doing wrong.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

cambo swa wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:13 pm Their wives absolutely refused in any way to discipline the children. This led to constant fighting with their wives over this issue and living in the same house as the wild child was unbearable. Common in Cambodia?
John Bingham wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:39 am I don't think that is normal at all. Mothers are usually the disciplinarians in the family.
I was just writing the same thing. :thumb:
Owen
Expatriate
Mexico

Post by Owen »

I get why the author used the term "gangster," but I was surprised to also see the phrase, "hippie boy" in the first article.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic