Young Cambodian People Nowadays...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Re: Young Cambodian People Nowadays...

Post by Gazzy »

This little toe rag wouldn't last 5 minutes outside of this country. He needs a good slapping from the police or the old guy's family. Why doesn't anyone do in his own family do it. Wtf are people scared about???
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

cambo swa wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:13 pm
bossho wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:39 pm Yeah, the kid was out of line and any social graces have escaped him it seems, this is a worldwide problem but its poignant here when it strikes. I wonder if on some level it's a matter of the "sins of the father visiting twice upon the son" here? Where did the kid get this kind of training where he can slap up on an old man after hitting him with his moto?
I have 2 barang friends who married Khmer women (not bargirls) and each had a child. Both had longterm relationships with the women before having a child. Now both of them have gotten a divorce for one specific reason only. Their wives absolutely refused in any way to discipline the children. This led to constant fighting with their wives over this issue and living in the same house as the wild child was unbearable. Common in Cambodia?
My wife will bring the hammer down on the kid, your friends ex's must not care for the kids at all.

It's to the point where everyone in the family (nieces and nephews) run to Pou barang when they're in trouble with their parents.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:40 pm Image
Cambodia News (Kandal Province):
After being taken to the police station, the teenage gangsters' parents were called, and they publicly apologized on behalf of their children. However, the suspects were kept in custody in order to be rehabilitated before being released into their parents' custody.
Now that's a job for me. Lord knows, and we've now been shown proof, that Khmer parents can't, AND AREN'T WILLING TO do it.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:46 am Discipline doesn't come in the two cases above, it's being taught right from wrong.
I was reading up on this issue - The fact that punishment doesn't actually teach kids right from wrong. In fact, many studies show that punishment just teaches kids not to get caught doing wrong.
FFS...No consequence, no reform. Know consequence, know reform.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

Gazzy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:53 am This little toe rag wouldn't last 5 minutes outside of this country. He needs a good slapping from the police or the old guy's family. Why doesn't anyone do in his own family do it. Wtf are people scared about???
Having to admit your kid is a fucking, little cunt of a douchebag doesn't save face. Much easier to pretend all is well and that, as a Khmer parent, they have done their job and nothing more needs to be done.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

bossho wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:39 pm Yeah, the kid was out of line and any social graces have escaped him it seems, this is a worldwide problem but its poignant here when it strikes. I wonder if on some level it's a matter of the "sins of the father visiting twice upon the son" here? Where did the kid get this kind of training where he can slap up on an old man after hitting him with his moto?
I have 2 barang friends who married Khmer women (not bargirls) and each had a child. Both had longterm relationships with the women before having a child. Now both of them have gotten a divorce for one specific reason only. Their wives absolutely refused in any way to discipline the children. This led to constant fighting with their wives over this issue and living in the same house as the wild child was unbearable. Common in Cambodia?
Very unusual in my experience - Cambodian women have high expectations of their children generally and in our family, I am definitely the soft touch. Our daughter is 10 so we haven't got to the teenage years yet but since our daughter is being brought up in the west, when I have broached the subject of drinking and/or smoking in the future, my wife's very measured response is 'fine, but she can't live here'. How about a boyfriend? 'fine, but she'll have to be accompanied or she can't live here'. I feel a massive Cultural Revolution is on the horizon in the not too distant future at our house 🤪
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Cambo Dear wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:56 pm
Very unusual in my experience - Cambodian women have high expectations of their children generally and in our family, I am definitely the soft touch. Our daughter is 10 so we haven't got to the teenage years yet but since our daughter is being brought up in the west, when I have broached the subject of drinking and/or smoking in the future, my wife's very measured response is 'fine, but she can't live here'. How about a boyfriend? 'fine, but she'll have to be accompanied or she can't live here'. I feel a massive Cultural Revolution is on the horizon in the not too distant future at our house 🤪
You should keep in mind that some of those commenting have little or no experience of family life here - one particular poster just likes to rant about how terrible Cambodians are at any opportunity. 8)

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

My experience has been that the Cambodian mum and the aunties and grandmas are particularly strict with their kids - especially with their daughters - the dads are more easy going. But the sons, especially the eldest or only son, tend to be coddled when young and some of them are little tyrants. It's no wonder that they grow up with a sense of their own importance.
But there are good parents and bad parents like everywhere else.

However, in Cambodia, you have to think of the context where a lot of kids are left with extended family so the parents can work. Also, there's no school, so the kids have plenty of time to get into trouble at the moment.

( I really can't even imagine the extent of the longterm damage that will be caused by keeping the kids out of school for so long. :evil: )
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

This has been the topic of quite some discussion between Mrs Cargo and myself lately. As I mentioned on another thread where a 15 yr old girl suicided after her mother told her to stop spending so much time on her smartphone, Mrs Cargo's sister's 15 yr old daughter has left home unhappy with rules and living with her older BF. Experimenting/doing ice apparently and stole the key to another sister's moto whilst she was sleeping for her to go partying with some friends, stacked it and it needed to be repaired. Continues to ask for money from the mother. The mother is beside herself worrying about her daughter...understandably so.

Mrs Cargo is of the view that the mother wasn't strict enough when she was young and spoilt her and says this is the result. I'm not convinced from my experience. My 14 yr old daughter didn't like the rules at home either and started not coming home and staying with friends. Yet, it seems not all parents have these issues with teenage girls.. Then I think of my brother and his 2 boys. One was always difficult as a teenager, going crazy over girls, cars and credit card debts. The other, super responsible.

Then Mrs Cargo related the story of a friend where her mother shared a house who had 3 teenage daughters. All very cute and desirable to khmer boys. Anyway, the mother seemingly ruled with an iron fist and they were not allowed out with boys or wear sexy clothes etc. Indeed, apparently they were scared of the mother. I honestly don't know how she ever achieved that.. Yet those girls never rebelled..

So, it got me thinking.. Parent upbringing is one thing but so is the personality and disposition of the teenager. Luck of the draw so to speak? Or is that too superficial? And I'm thinking whilst Cambodia has more traditional values, I'm not sure there's so much difference nowadays with teenagers whatever country.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

With raising children it's always been a mix of nature and nurture.

Certain dispositions are born with and others molded by parenting.

Anchor Moy hit on a good point that boys are definitely raised differently in Cambodia.

There is even a proverb about it. Something like: 'Boys are like diamonds, if dropped in the mud, they wash clean. Girls are like cotton, once stained, they are ruined forever. '

Cambodia is a matriarchal society.....not much is expected of men........and it shows.

And with disciplining it's better to start off strict and ease off later than vice versa.

Also some psychologists say that if a child is not properly socialized by the age of 5 to 6.....whichever personality faults remain will stay pretty much entrenched.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic