Juvenile lion confiscated from Chinese man in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Juvenile lion confiscated from Chinese man in Phnom Penh

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:49 am
cautious colin wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:15 am
PPUG wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:04 am Simple explanation.
It was blackmail!

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50917219/b ... s-escape/
The owner of lion ‘Dark Mind’, Zhai Xinjiang, has contacted Khmer Times and alleged that an attempt at blackmail was behind the lions dramatic escape from his villa home yesterday

I reckon it was the goat, got close with the pug while the lion was away and is trying to get his friend back
That's a great picture.

The goat has decided to see how it works out for the dog before he gets too friendly.
I know goats. From the photo, the goat has motive: "Don't look to smug pug, you're 'spécialité de la maison' 2022. Read the note Cat! It says I eat anything! Fuck this! Take this outside once I finish my stretches, here.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Summary of the Khmer Times article linked to above:

The owner of the lion, Xinjiang contacted Khmer Times and alleged that one of his ex-employees, who worked as a translator, was responsible for arranging the lion's escape. The man was sacked after he borrowed $4,000 from his boss, and then said that he had lost it and asked for another $4,000.
According to the owner, the ex-employee then plotted his revenge and arranged for the staff to leave the outside gate to the property open while they took out the garbage. He does not believe that it was a coincidence that someone was waiting outside to photograph the lion as he escaped at 6:30am.

Three hours later, at 10am, the former employee who had previously borrowed $4,000 made several calls to Xinjiang and sent messages on Telegram, explaining that he released the lion because Xinjiang did not feed the animal correctly.

A photo was taken of the lion leaving the premises and then given to the police.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

So the lion is still wandering around the house and not in a cage as part of the deal that was made for it's return home. Typical
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:16 pm Summary of the Khmer Times article linked to above:

The owner of the lion, Xinjiang contacted Khmer Times and alleged that one of his ex-employees, who worked as a translator, was responsible for arranging the lion's escape. The man was sacked after he borrowed $4,000 from his boss, and then said that he had lost it and asked for another $4,000.
According to the owner, the ex-employee then plotted his revenge and arranged for the staff to leave the outside gate to the property open while they took out the garbage. He does not believe that it was a coincidence that someone was waiting outside to photograph the lion as he escaped at 6:30am.

Three hours later, at 10am, the former employee who had previously borrowed $4,000 made several calls to Xinjiang and sent messages on Telegram, explaining that he released the lion because Xinjiang did not feed the animal correctly.

A photo was taken of the lion leaving the premises and then given to the police.
This really is a wacky explanation but I guess no wackier than having a lion as a pet :popcorn:

Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Lion Saga Update
Well, we can all breathe a sigh of relief now that Cambodia's most famous lion has been reunited with his devoted doggy friend, who went 'mising', but was found thanks to a reward.

December 29, 2021
UPDATE: Mising[sic] canine companion of Phnom Penh’s ‘Villa Lion’ found
'Dark Mind' and 'Pipi'
The Chinese owner of the lion ‘Dark Mind’ – who caused a stir earlier this year when it was revealed that the lion was living in a central Phnom Penh villa – has been reunited with the lion’s beloved bulldog companion ‘Pipi’

Pipi was found at Gong Cha restaurant in BKK1 and was reunited with his owner an hour ago

Zhai Xinjiang had offered the reward for the return of the bulldog, saying ‘Find the dog. I love dog “pipi” last night around 9:10 lost, if there is a kind person found this dog, can give me a message. I am very grateful and give 1000💲 in return,’

The joyous reunion happened after sharp sighted social media users noted the post on the restaurant’s Facebook page.

Pipi is the devoted companion of villa dwelling lion ‘Dark Mind’ and is often depicted on social media enjoying a range of activities with his leonine companion such as swimming, playing with robots or just relaxing.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50997062/p ... companion/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Pipi was found at Gong Cha restaurant in BKK1.......

...... if there is a kind person found this dog, can give me a message. I am very grateful and give 1000💲 in return,’
Narrow escape from the dinner plate for Pipi.. :good:
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:11 pm

...... if there is a kind person found this dog, can give me a message. I am very grateful and give 1000💲 in return,’
Looks more like, "out of the pan, into the fire," from the shot with the cat's ear pricked back and the pug, seemingly, screaming about something.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:11 pm

:stir:
Not if Pipi is worth $1000 every time he goes outside for a walk and needs to return home. The potential income on returning the Chinese guy's missing pets is enormous.
Hate to be cynical, but how much would I get for returning the goat ? Or the ostrich ? :chin:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic