Is it worthwhile to invest in ESL teacher training?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Re: Is it worthwhile to invest in ESL teacher training?

Post by mouytiet »

Obviuosly ngo,s require over double what a teacher lives on.couldnt imagine a lessor lifestyle gor all the good wk that they do !!
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by mouytiet »

Couldnt bear to live anywhere under 800 a month plus all my restuarant meals and europrean wines.life would be just ghastly.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

I'm sure there are plenty of expats that would be happy with $2700 per month.

Prices in Cambodia vs the United States - Cost of Living Comparison. The average cost of living in Cambodia ($731) is 62% less expensive than in the United States ($1900). Cambodia ranked 110th vs 10th for the United States in the list of the most expensive countries in the world.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

I guess teachers are eating a lot of Khmer food then
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

The entire English language industry, wherever in the world, is one of the biggest cons ever to be invented.

Sitting in a classroom for an hour or so a day learning about the difference between the present perfect and the past simple tenses will do nothing for your fluency and natural ability to understand and speak English on a similar level to a native. The human brain simply does not work like that. It's why the huge, huge majority of English learners drop out after a very short time.

But nobody will admit this because it is a milti-billion dollar industry and there is never a shortage of new gullibles lining up to come through those rotating doors.

Language, like everything else we learn, is done through necessity. If the brain believes it is necessary that something is learned and remembered, it will learn and remember it. Reading a random story from a text book about Bob and Sheila's trip to the shop and whether the verbs used were in the correct tense serves no necessity whatsoever to the brain, and the brain will quickly dismiss it.

I used to teach young kids English. Like most kids, they would play online games with other kids all around the world. Chinese kids, Korean, Indian, Russian, you name it.... but they all had to communicate so they all spoke English. My students learned more English in those games than I could ever teach them in a classroom. Why? Because I could teach the the phrase "Hide behind the bush, someone's behind you' - and I could teach them that this phrase is made up of a verb, a preposition, an article, a noun, a comma, a pronoun, another preposition and a personal pronoun. And I could spend an entire lesson explaining the differences between the words, the sentence structure, why we put the words in that order etc....

Or... they could simply be playing a highly intensive game as part of a team and hear someone shout "HIDE BEHIND THE BUSH, SOMEONE'S BEHIND YOU!' - Which method do you think they will learn the meaning of the phrase the quickest? Of course, it would be while they're playing the game. Why? Because of necessity. It is fundamentally necessary in that context for them to understand what is being said to them. In a classroom, it is simply not necessary and the brain will not absorb it and soon forget it.

Of course going to a classroom to help improve your English has it's benefits, but it's not the way you truly learn a language. You learn it by immersing yourself in it and creating a need and necessity that it is learnt.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:52 am The entire English language industry, wherever in the world, is one of the biggest cons ever to be invented.

Sitting in a classroom for an hour or so a day learning about the difference between the present perfect and the past simple tenses will do nothing for your fluency and natural ability to understand and speak English on a similar level to a native. The human brain simply does not work like that. It's why the huge, huge majority of English learners drop out after a very short time.

But nobody will admit this because it is a milti-billion dollar industry and there is never a shortage of new gullibles lining up to come through those rotating doors.

Language, like everything else we learn, is done through necessity. If the brain believes it is necessary that something is learned and remembered, it will learn and remember it. Reading a random story from a text book about Bob and Sheila's trip to the shop and whether the verbs used were in the correct tense serves no necessity whatsoever to the brain, and the brain will quickly dismiss it.

I used to teach young kids English. Like most kids, they would play online games with other kids all around the world. Chinese kids, Korean, Indian, Russian, you name it.... but they all had to communicate so they all spoke English. My students learned more English in those games than I could ever teach them in a classroom. Why? Because I could teach the the phrase "Hide behind the bush, someone's behind you' - and I could teach them that this phrase is made up of a verb, a preposition, an article, a noun, a comma, a pronoun, another preposition and a personal pronoun. And I could spend an entire lesson explaining the differences between the words, the sentence structure, why we put the words in that order etc....

Or... they could simply be playing a highly intensive game as part of a team and hear someone shout "HIDE BEHIND THE BUSH, SOMEONE'S BEHIND YOU!' - Which method do you think they will learn the meaning of the phrase the quickest? Of course, it would be while they're playing the game. Why? Because of necessity. It is fundamentally necessary in that context for them to understand what is being said to them. In a classroom, it is simply not necessary and the brain will not absorb it and soon forget it.

Of course going to a classroom to help improve your English has it's benefits, but it's not the way you truly learn a language. You learn it by immersing yourself in it and creating a need and necessity that it is learnt.
That probably explains why I know my numbers and can give directions to a tuk, and a few other social and utility words.

Beyond that I didn't need to learn anything else and, frankly, have no further interest learning Khmer. After 4 years it is still a 50/50 chance of me being able to say my street number and be understood by a tuk.

I did try at the start. When I first got here I spent one of the most miserable weeks of my life at G2K. A typical classroom setting of:
bad graphics flash cards depicting things;

more bad graphics on sheets of paper, photocopied so many times they were useless;

words written in Khmer on the whiteboard (why? I can't speak it, so I can't read it);

also written in the international phonetic alphabet (I have no idea what those symbols mean so that's useless too);

a side elevation image of the human mouth and throat to show where in your mouth the noises are made (I shit you not);

endless, mindless, boring repetition of the word 3 times per student. (None of what I heard sounded very much the same);

They considered that as you having been taught. Job done. I lasted until Friday at 11am and just got up and left.

I got 3/4's of my money back as I told them they were wasting my time with this nonsense. I had learnt absolutely nothing. The con was "you are expected to go home and learn what you had been shown", so why do I need them in the first place? I can just pull it of one of the many YouTubers who do everything that G2K did, for free, in the comfort of my own home in my underpants. I don't need to pay $400 for the month and schlap over to beyond Russian market in rush hour every morning to sit in a hot classroom.
steven.lee
Tourist
Singapore

Post by steven.lee »

Bong Kri wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:39 pm
BillDoe wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:53 am
Khmerican wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:40 am
steven.lee wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:28 am So, teaching English is one of the popular jobs that an expat can take up to make a decent income.
😂 Don't forget, highly respected too. 😂
Is 1200 decent for an expat? I honestly have no idea how teachers are even surviving on that, let alone saving for whatever next "adventure" they'll go on
Some are currently getting paid less than this as they have forced salary cuts due to Covid. Anything from 15%-50% cuts. There was an old thread on here discussing it 6 months or so ago.
I'm a TESOL trainer and based on feedback from past graduates, starting salary for expats is around $1000 - $1200 for private language schools. The established language schools also offer out-patient medical benefits, accident insurance, partial scholarship for their kids' education in the school they work, etc. Those who manage to get a job teaching English in the international elementary/high schools offering a full curriculum will be paid more with possibly other benefits in terms of visa/work permit payments.

Pay is a rather subjective matter. Well-managed schools do have HR systems in place for staff to get pay increase based on performance. Some expats choose to take up management/training and other positions in the school and pay naturally goes up in time. Here's my two cents' worth: We can make a "decent" living working as a teacher. To avoid getting burned out, especially during this Covid-19 online learning period, we should consider if we have an interest in the students' learning in the first place. Thanks very much guys for your comments. I'm glad to be part of this forum.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

xandreu wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:52 am The entire English language industry, wherever in the world, is one of the biggest cons ever to be invented.

Nice rant. Guess it's true when you put inexperienced unlicensed teachers in charge of education.

The learning results of sitting in a classroom and learning are highly related to the quality of the teacher and the relationship between the teacher and the students. Students tend to work much harder, and learn more, from teachers they like / respect the most. After reading your rant I couldn't help but wonder how you rate yourself as an English teacher.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Years ago, I visited PP and visited a number of private schools in search of a teaching job. Without exception, they all rejected me as being too old (I was about 55 at the time, but fit and healthy).

I gave up on Cambodia and went to Myanmar to teach ESL, Science, World History etc. (I have no education degree, but I do have a Master's degree in a science subject). The pay was about $3,000, including paid hotel accommodation, visa, visa flights to Bangkok etc.

Now I live in north Laos, where I guess in-class salaries for unqualified (ie no education degree, PGCE etc) foreign teachers are on a par with Cambodia. No problem! I gave up on in-class teaching a few years ago and now teach Science and ESL 'online'. Typical income is $3,000 each month, (lessons totalling $4,000 are booked for next month, due to Chinese summer holiday break). I don't work for any of the big Chinese teaching companies, because most of them treat their teachers like poo on their shoe, and pay low rates.

Why even consider in-class teaching in PP? Just base yourself there and teach online.

Oh I forgot to mention. In Laos, I'm issued with an annual business visa and work permit for my online work :)
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:07 am Nice rant. Guess it's true when you put inexperienced unlicensed teachers in charge of education.
If you're implying that my opinion originates from myself being unlicensed and/or inexperienced, forgive me but I have absolutely no obligation to justify my occupational achievements to you.
Kammekor wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:07 am The learning results of sitting in a classroom and learning are highly related to the quality of the teacher and the relationship between the teacher and the students. Students tend to work much harder, and learn more, from teachers they like / respect the most. After reading your rant I couldn't help but wonder how you rate yourself as an English teacher.
I did not say that going to a classroom did not have any benefits at all.
Of course going to a classroom to help improve your English has it's benefits,

But learning a language is about much more than the relationship between teacher and student. A student who struggles with compound nouns isn't suddenly going to get it just because the teacher said their hair looked nice today. OK, I know that's not exactly what you mean, but my main point was the difference between language learning and language acquisition.

True story - An ex of mine arrived in the UK from Venezuela (as a kind of illegal refugee but that's another story). The only English word he knew was Hello / Hi. Couldn't afford to go to language school. Had absolutely no choice but to learn English himself from scratch. Within 6 months he was pretty much fluent. Not just speaking, but reading as well. How? Why? Pure necessity. Very few people in the UK speak Spanish and he knew how tough his life would be if he couldn't speak English. He bought newspapers every day, we watched the news every day, he stood close to people on the bus to overhear their conversations so he could learn idioms / colloquialisms / slang etc etc and learned more in 6 moths of self study than a ;language school could have taught him in 2-3 years.

Please don't use my opinions based on personal experience to judge my abilities as an English teacher.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic