Dodgy job offer in Sihanoukville

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Dodgy job offer in Sihanoukville

Post by mannanman »

jaynewcastle wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:55 am Perhaps the OP could advise who contacted him and his mates, & how, to offer them these jobs
We answered an advert.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

The Judge wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:33 am
mannanman wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:09 pm So me and a couple of mates got offered work as “Customer service representatives” for a big “blue chip” company in Otres.
$800 to $1000 a month plus all food and accommodation. :beer3:

They wanted native English speakers but it’s for a Chinese company and they wouldn’t say who it’s for as “It’s to protect their security” etc.
The guys pushing it are Singaporean and any basic questions were not answered or they waffled on about “data protection” etc.

The clincher is that you have to stay in their complex for six months and they keep your passport, citing COVID as a reason. You can’t even leave on your days off. They wouldn’t even let us drive down saying they’ll organise all transport. :ROFL:

Sounds like some boiler room scam to me.
I’ve also seen the same advert on a few FB groups but they’ve all been taken down.

Just a heads up. Avoid like the plague.
Please give me their phone number, send it as a pm. I want to flesh this out and pretend interest in a job. I'll not be an easy mark for them.
I'd be interested in learning of your findings.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

mannanman wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:42 am
jaynewcastle wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:55 am Perhaps the OP could advise who contacted him and his mates, & how, to offer them these jobs
We answered an advert.
and all the adverts are now gone?
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:34 am
mannanman wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:42 am
We answered an advert.
and all the adverts are now gone?
Not all no.
It’s an agency who are pushing it.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Their last employee is possibly the stiff found near Otres
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

I'm Singaporean and could shed some light.

In 2014, a friend of mine was recruited with a similar pitch. However, the $$ quoted was vastly higher with commissions and residual dividends. He was a born-salesman, high earner with a timeshare company. He took the job.

Lost contact with him for a few months, then he contacted a buddy with his update.

They were in Myanmmar, just across from the Thai border. He had to live in this massive complex in the middle of the forest. There were armed men and army officers guarding the place. However, this was not a military job. He had been hired by a money-lending scam ring. His job now, was to run a floor of young men who were using voip lines to harass and collect debts overseas. There was also a team that focused on bringing in new clients. He excelled at his job, and did very well for himself. 7 figures. He did not care. All he wanted to do was to milk the opportunity he stumbled upon. Extremely illegal stuff though. No drugs. Just illicit finance and manpower.

Over the months, he would occasionally reach out with news. Some were fantastical. Supposedly the main man, was never around. They all worked for someone. But this bigboss was remote. (Asian gangs went digital way before corona). The compound they were staying in supposedly reminded him of an industrial complex, complete with block numbers, parking, canteens, shopping galleries, entertainment outlets. Everyone was on the bosses payroll. Even the local police according to him. They could move freely without passports across the thai-myanmmar border.

Then after a while, he stopped calling.

Then last year he resurfaced in Singapore. Seems he managed to piss some wrong people off, and was being hunted by some big name. He had to go into hiding, and even though he did not have his passport, he contacted the Singapore police or embassy and they managed to get him back in exchange for him spilling the beans. He's still in protective police custody in Singapore after a year. And according to him, it's safer this way. He calls it protective custody. I call it, incarcerated.

I've not been back to Singapore in a few years. But I'm looking forward to hearing his stories over a game of billards.

mannanman wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:09 pm So me and a couple of mates got offered work as “Customer service representatives” for a big “blue chip” company in Otres.

They wanted native English speakers but it’s for a Chinese company and they wouldn’t say who it’s for as “It’s to protect their security” etc.
The guys pushing it are Singaporean and any basic questions were not answered or they waffled on about “data protection” etc.

The clincher is that you have to stay in their complex for six months and they keep your passport, citing COVID as a reason. You can’t even leave on your days off. They wouldn’t even let us drive down saying they’ll organise all transport. :ROFL:

I’ve also seen the same advert on a few FB groups but they’ve all been taken down.

jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

wow, sounds like an amazing movie plot
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

nerdlinger wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:40 pm Of all the scams out there I think this type is one of the most inhumane, barbaric, and despicable. At least when you get scammed out of money by a fake investment firm or a phone scammer you're free to make more money however you want, but what you're describing is modern slavery.
All work is slavery, except you have to buy your own food and accommodation.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

ofparadise wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:45 am I'm Singaporean and could shed some light.

In 2014, a friend of mine was recruited with a similar pitch. However, the $$ quoted was vastly higher with commissions and residual dividends. He was a born-salesman, high earner with a timeshare company. He took the job.

Lost contact with him for a few months, then he contacted a buddy with his update.

They were in Myanmmar, just across from the Thai border. He had to live in this massive complex in the middle of the forest. There were armed men and army officers guarding the place. However, this was not a military job. He had been hired by a money-lending scam ring. His job now, was to run a floor of young men who were using voip lines to harass and collect debts overseas. There was also a team that focused on bringing in new clients. He excelled at his job, and did very well for himself. 7 figures. He did not care. All he wanted to do was to milk the opportunity he stumbled upon. Extremely illegal stuff though. No drugs. Just illicit finance and manpower.

Over the months, he would occasionally reach out with news. Some were fantastical. Supposedly the main man, was never around. They all worked for someone. But this bigboss was remote. (Asian gangs went digital way before corona). The compound they were staying in supposedly reminded him of an industrial complex, complete with block numbers, parking, canteens, shopping galleries, entertainment outlets. Everyone was on the bosses payroll. Even the local police according to him. They could move freely without passports across the thai-myanmmar border.

Then after a while, he stopped calling.

Then last year he resurfaced in Singapore. Seems he managed to piss some wrong people off, and was being hunted by some big name. He had to go into hiding, and even though he did not have his passport, he contacted the Singapore police or embassy and they managed to get him back in exchange for him spilling the beans. He's still in protective police custody in Singapore after a year. And according to him, it's safer this way. He calls it protective custody. I call it, incarcerated.

I've not been back to Singapore in a few years. But I'm looking forward to hearing his stories over a game of billards.

He sounds like a fantasist.
yochigga
Tourist

Post by yochigga »

Good that you didn't take it. Avoid at all cost. I'm currently working for one--also got scammed since the very beginning. I had a really bad feeling about all these but eventually still came here. Regret it 100%. I'm not in the CS division though, but most of my batchmates are. They also asked for my passport a few days ago, and I insisted not letting them keep it. Because it's just wrong and my passport is my identity as a foreigner in a foreign country. They kept telling me that's the rule and that all CS people have their passports held bla bla. Who gives a fuck about your rule? First off I'm not a CS. Plus I haven't signed anything that states I'm willing to let them keep my documents. I've called my embassy and seems like they're aware of this passport-holding practice. But that's because their contract says so. So the embassy can't do anything either. But in my case, I still have full right over my passport. If things go south, I'd legit just escape.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic