Two Unattended Children Drown in a Well

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Two Unattended Children Drown in a Well

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Kandal Province): On the afternoon of June 22, at 3:30pm, in Sdao Konleng village, Dei Et commune, Kean Svay district, 2 siblings, Sim Kuchnim, 7 years old, and Sim Kuchleang, 4 years old, died by drowning in a well after the parents left them to stay with the grandmother.

According to the 55-year-old grandmother, Duch Bok, there was heavy rainfall, so she went to fill up the water jars with rainwater, leaving the two children playing unattended in the backyard. But once she had finished, the rainfall stopped, and she found her grandchildren drowned in the water well.
After the autopsy, the police confirmed that the two children died from drowning and the bodies were given back to the family for the funeral. RIP.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: Two Unattended Children Drown in a Well

Post by Captain Bonez »

That is really fucking sad

RIP
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Two more children dying needlessly. I look at that photo, and right or wrong, (jumping to judgement and conclusions, I know) my immediate thought is ‘put the fucking phone away, and pay attention.’

It almost seems too matter of fact, too arbitrary.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

Kids 'drowning' due to heavy rain has been a common alibi of the grandparents who always seem to have been placed with the responsibility to watch the kids. I'm not buying it. Covid has had a significant financial impact on families here, and likely even moreso in the provinces.

Are the parents unable to provide for their children, so something happens? Perhaps similar to governments' role with Covid and it's people? There's no legitimate detective work or investigation corroborating the "must have drowned in the swamp" alibis, or when foreigners are 'found' in their guesthouse rooms (yes, totally unrelated to this thread, I know).

Neither of the 2 women in the photo appear even remotely grief-stricken. This culture has some horrific history/attitudes respecting individual's right to life. Just sayin'.
bisbee2020
Tourist

Post by bisbee2020 »

The Judge wrote:Kids 'drowning' due to heavy rain has been a common alibi of the grandparents who always seem to have been placed with the responsibility to watch the kids. I'm not buying it. Covid has had a significant financial impact on families here, and likely even moreso in the provinces.

Are the parents unable to provide for their children, so something happens? Perhaps similar to governments' role with Covid and it's people? There's no legitimate detective work or investigation corroborating the "must have drowned in the swamp" alibis, or when foreigners are 'found' in their guesthouse rooms (yes, totally unrelated to this thread, I know).

Neither of the 2 women in the photo appear even remotely grief-stricken. This culture has some horrific history/attitudes respecting individual's right to life. Just sayin'.
Your forum name is beyond apt.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

FakeCop
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by FakeCop »

This is sad.

The missus relayed a similar sad tale about a young boy, only a year and a half old, who drowned in a fish pond that was behind his house. This particular pond was incredibly deep and most, if not all, of the local villagers who tried to help simply could not not swim. A quick thinking niece suggested a net to literally fish the boy out which actually worked. Unfortunately the lad succumbed as there was little more the villagers could do other than to rub his limbs and vigorously shake him. So tragic.

Would love to see the Cambodian Red Cross, other than distribute much needed supplies for people who are hungry, train communities in essential first aid in order to reduce this all too common occurrence.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The Judge wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:35 am Kids 'drowning' due to heavy rain has been a common alibi of the grandparents who always seem to have been placed with the responsibility to watch the kids. I'm not buying it. Covid has had a significant financial impact on families here, and likely even moreso in the provinces.

More victim blaming. Your speciality. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

This is just sad, and as someone said, it was an unnecessary and preventable accident.

But, I don't like some posters' assumptions that the expressions of grief of the mourners are false because
1/ maybe she/they are on their phones to alert the parents or relatives about the deaths/funerals of the kids
2/ when you lose a person you loved and you are in shock, the last thing you want are news photographers zooming in on your bereavement, so it is understandable that you might close down your face and look away or look at your phone

Have some charity. I'm sure these people are all devastated by the loss of these two young children.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Update
A later news source explains that the "well" that the children fell into, was in fact a big hole beside the house, that was being dug to make a latrine. There was heavy rainfall when the children fell into the hole and drowned. RIP.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic