They Relied on Chinese Vaccines. Now They're Battling Outbreaks.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: They Relied on Chinese Vaccines. Now They're Battling Outbreaks.

Post by mannanman »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:24 pm
mannanman wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:16 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:32 pm the main reason i would get the vaccine is so i can travel quarantine free.
If certain vaccines will not be accepted.. well wont get that one for sure

Will wait for a choice...
Never heard anyone talk about “quarantine free” travel. Possibly if you were to return home and had their approved vaccine.

Not going to happen anytime soon and not for at least 5 years in SEA. Especially if you’re at risk.
Phuket is starting what they refer to as "Phuket sandbox" July 1st
if you have had both ur shots, covid free certificate and insurance you can travel to Phuket.
You only need remain on the island, ( not confined to ur hotel) for 2 weeks, than ur free to travel around thailand.
They expect to open the rest of the country by oct if you have had ur shots

You honestly expect SE Asia to remain closed for 5 years to travelers without quarantine?

To return to the states you dont even need have had any shots. Dont know about Europe
So you’re basically quarantined on an island?
That’s more to do with already having a test than having vaccine free travel and what vaccines do they allow?

As we’ve seen big plans come to fuck all. Let’s see what happens.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

That's right it don't mean fuckall. let's wait and see.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:31 pm
BillDoe wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:15 pm
Grand Barong wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:22 pm
BillDoe wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:29 am All these dumbass expats even trusting this vaccine, I wouldn't be surprised if large amounts of people start having severe health issues by the end of the vaccines lifetime.
I am guessing these "Dumbass expats" may not have the luxury of choosing their preferred vaccine whilst abroad, So better some level of protection than none
against this virus especially if they have compromised health to start with and are living in a country ill equipped to deal with a mass outbreak...
You are a real ray of sunshine aren't you... :facepalm:
Why even get it? You're believing the literal CCP? That's like saying "oh were out of milk, guess I'll have to use beer in my Cheerios"
I don't believe the CCP but I also don't believe your scaremongering about 'large amounts of people start having severe health issues by the end of the vaccines lifetime'. :hattip:
Guess we'll have to wait and see, most western vaccines are expected to provide immunity for 6 months possibly more. I don't imagine a Chinese vaccine providing protection for up to 6 months, we'll be seeing the effects it gives you CCP guinea pigs soon.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Definite Q Tard tendencies
A great majority of medicines in USA are made in China.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

nemo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:51 pm Definite Q Tard tendencies
A great majority of medicines in USA are made in China.
------------------

That is actually not correct. Last I looked data, about 75% of medicines sold in the USA were made in the US.

The statement would be partially true if your referring to generic drugs. The majority of those are made in India/China though I haven't seen any recent statistics as to the breakdown between the two countries.

There has been increasing pressure on the FDA to "crack down" on some of these generic suppliers as they have had egregious cases of regulatory fraud. The FDA claims to hold these foreign plants to the same standards as in the US or Canada. But the realities are far different. In China, due to laws there - all inspections are announced - leaving lots of opportunity to temporarily meet the guidelines and then go back to what your doing. There have also been documented cases of flat out destruction of documents, Chinese regulatory pressure on the FDA, and other ridiculous acts that the FDA have seemingly allowed to pass without punishment. There are a couple of recent books about this subject that if your really interested are worth a read. The one I can remember is "bottle of lies".
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Maybe provide a citation if debate is in order.

Last month, the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission held a hearing on the United States’ growing reliance on China's pharmaceutical products. The topic reminded me of a spirited discussion described in Bob Woodward’s book, Fear: Trump in the White House. In the discussion, Gary Cohn, then chief economic advisor to President Trump, argued against a trade war with China by invoking a Department of Commerce study that found that 97 percent of all antibiotics in the United States came from China. “If you’re the Chinese and you want to really just destroy us, just stop sending us antibiotics,” he said.

Cohn’s words highlight a security concern associated with pharmaceuticals from China. As Rosemary Gibson noted in her testimony, centralization of the global supply chain of medicines in a single country makes it vulnerable to interruption, “whether by mistake or design.” If we are dependent on China for thousands of ingredients and raw materials to make our medicine, China could use this dependence as a weapon against us. While the Department of Defense only purchases a small quantity of finished pharmaceuticals from China, about 80 percent of the active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) used to make drugs in the United States are said to come from China and other countries like India. For example, the chemical starting material used to make doxycycline, the recommended treatment for anthrax exposure, comes from China. When an influential Chinese economist earlier this year suggested that Beijing curb its exports of raw materials for vitamins and antibiotics as a countermeasure in the trade war with the United States, the worries surrounding our API dependence to China seemed to be vindicated. Concern about a disruption in the supply chain could explain why the tariffs on Chinese products proposed by the United States Trade Representative in May 2019, worth approximately $300 billion, excludes “pharmaceuticals, certain pharmaceutical in puts, and select medical goods.”
https://www.cfr.org/blog/us-dependence- ... ucts-china
There is a plethora of stats saying the same from less biased sources.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Here is a bloomberg report that says the same thing (you'll need a subscription to read the whole thing).

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... cktake-q-a

Here is a white paper that would offer a different set of conclusions from you've written about API's (which are simply the base/active ingredients) :

https://avalere.com/insights/majority-o ... -in-the-us

And here is another report that seems to debunk your API statement (this is not a source I'm familiar with so I won't comment on their veracity):

https://reason.com/2020/04/06/why-you-s ... rom-china/

The FDA itself has said it can not track the quantities of API by production site. They monitor the number of API manufacturing facilities for all regulated drug products. As of August 2019 China had 230 facilities, the US had 510, ROW had 1048. Here is a somewhat useful FDA report submitted to Congress.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/congres ... y-10302019

I don't remember the source, but I believe the last report I read concerning API's and national security indicated that there were three specific API's that we "rely" on China manufacturing for currently. There is no doubt that the % of manufacturing occurring in the US is less than it was 20-30 years ago and doubly so for API's. TEVA is now the world's largest producer with a portfolio of over 300 API products. The good news is that this is fairly easy to remedy. Regulatory changes can mandate inspection protocols that won't be accepted in China and force the production to be shifted. All that is required is the political will and backbone to do it.

Producing API's is not as complex as it might seem. The reason manufacturing has been shifting is that its a fairly straight forward process (all things considered). Its not something I worry much about from a national security perspective.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic