Methods we can use to avoid quarells and resolve issues

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Methods we can use to avoid quarells and resolve issues

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:33 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:24 pm
siliconlife wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:39 am Don't let culture get in the way of your families
This sounds nice on paper, but doesn't seem like a realistic option. Our cultural backgrounds are such a huge part of our individual identities.
Of course ignoring our culture, or their culture, is impossible. You have to find some common ground, acceptable for both, before making commitments. IMHO most Khmer girls are pretty realistic about this if you can communicate with them beyond 'I love you long time' and 'me angry boxing you'.

IMHO it's not so much a cultural barrier, but a language barrier.

True enough, rural Khmer girls are rather similar to rural girls where I'm from, just better looking by a factor of 60000
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

You tink too mutt
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

nemo wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:46 pm You tink too mutt
want eye?
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:33 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:24 pm
siliconlife wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:39 am Don't let culture get in the way of your families
This sounds nice on paper, but doesn't seem like a realistic option. Our cultural backgrounds are such a huge part of our individual identities.
Of course ignoring our culture, or their culture, is impossible. You have to find some common ground, acceptable for both, before making commitments. IMHO most Khmer girls are pretty realistic about this if you can communicate with them beyond 'I love you long time' and 'me angry boxing you'.

IMHO it's not so much a cultural barrier, but a language barrier.
I found culture to be stronger than lamguage in my experience with Japanese women.

I agree with the common ground point. Communication and compromise are good for any relationship.

(Digging all the advice here.)
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

violet wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:59 am * spend some time reflecting on how you may have contributed to or instigated the aggressive behaviour
* listen, discuss and seek resolution prior to aggressive behaviour
* consider that a raised voice is not aggression, but rather frustration
* stop considering the female has the problem while being blind to the problematic behaviour you may have that comes before her frustration
@violet You added several self correction tactics. I believe too that a person should recognise when they make errors and bad judgements and then correct all the bad aspects of their personality.
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:01 am
What sustains a marriage isn’t regular, terrific sex, it is honouring bids for attention. What I mean by this is that when one of you makes a remark (it need not be about sex, it could be as mundane as a comment about the cat), or otherwise seems to be asking for a response, that reaching out – the bid – is responded to, or, in other words, honoured.

Another indicator of a good marriage is loving touch – which isn’t necessarily sexual touch. Feeling relaxed with each other means you can share thoughts and feelings. Not feeling competitive with each other too often and not getting into a frequent scramble for the moral high ground also helps to make.......

IMHO, this is spot on. Respective ages, social backgrounds, bar girl provenance, linguistic ability - these don't matter a bean if you follow this advice.

@armchairlawyer I agree. Attention such as answering your wife with a thoughtful response to show you're listening and interested and not just acknowledgeing her with a grunt or ignoring her. Also affection - when you walk into the room touch her shoulder, rub her back, if you want to ask her something stand beside her and look into her eyes. Smile, then ask. When (she is or you are) trying on a dress in the mirror, make eye contact again and then gently hug her. She should be affectionate too, if you let her. Share light feelings with touch and concerns and thoughts with tact.

I'd correct that last sentence of yours, that several things don't matter a bean if you DON'T follow this advice. At least to me that makes more sense now. ;)
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:54 pm This thread is wack

Particularly the OP; your previous thread was far better and wholesome, pal
@Jerry Atrick Yes, agree. Uhm, which previous thread of mine was far better and wholesome in your opinion?

@everyone. It's fair to say that my original post on this one is exaggerated. Also I was pretty vague. I included some hard opinions which weren't necessarily my true opinions in the hope of generating a variety of informative responses. I wasn't disappointed so thanks everyone. ;)
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Phnom Penh Pal wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:01 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:54 pm This thread is wack

Particularly the OP; your previous thread was far better and wholesome, pal
@Jerry Atrick Yes, agree. Uhm, which previous thread of mine was far better and wholesome in your opinion?

@everyone. It's fair to say that my original post on this one is exaggerated. Also I was pretty vague. I included some hard opinions which weren't necessarily my true opinions in the hope of generating a variety of informative responses. I wasn't disappointed so thanks everyone. ;)
I believe it was some musings on how you met your partner
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

@Jerry Atrick .
There was this one prior to meeting her in 🇰🇭 in 2013
cambodian-culture-and-language/opportun ... 45175.html and one when she followed me to 🇻🇳 cambodian-culture-and-language/what-wou ... 45177.html I may write more new posts. I have a few about girls I met whilst travelling in my 20's and 30's.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

atst wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:42 am When thier talking shut up and turn the music up

พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic