Opportunity knocks. Prior to meeting my wife.

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Opportunity knocks. Prior to meeting my wife.

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

When was about sixteen she went to the city to stay with her cousin. The cousin had just married a rich Cambodian guy who had brought for the cousin a house on the riverside. My wife had a variety of jobs over the years in PP; working at a lottery stand in the market, there was a factory supervisor job, working on local radio as a presenter and then working as a waitress in a prestigious restaurant and hotel. It was Lyon'dor if anyone remembers that quaint restaurant from its heyday.

The cousin was involved in the bar industry, often leasing bars and running them and then selling the lease months later for profit. This was a suitable side job for a party girl. Her day job is doing business with Chinese, interpreting and the sort. Often the cousin would party with her Chinese clients or bar staff and foot the bill for drinks. My wife would tag along because of the free food and drinks and clubbing.

When I met the wife sat outside her cousin's bar on Christmas Eve 2013 she was living a life accustomed to her cousin. After studying she'd often be invited to a fancy restaurant as the peer had a business meeting. Afterwards the group might go to a high end club. One client of her cousin's offered my wife a job interview on his Khmer radio show.

Opportunity follows money, so you dont necessarily have to have money to get opportunity. You just have to jump on the back of opportunity and hold on until you get lucky . We were married 18 months later and currently are schooling our kids in UK.
Last edited by Phnom Penh Pal on Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Opportunity knocks. Prior to meeting my wife.

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

At the wedding we had a ceremony, exchanging vows and the monks prayed to us. The wedding reception was at the farm too. We had several costume changes throughout the afternoon and evening. I actually liked the jacket and fake jewellery, it made me look regal. However not the short baggy pants. If you've worn those short trousers you'll know.

We had a stage and some Khmer singers. After the guests ate everyone was invited to the dancefloor as the bride and groom were to dance in their western attire. Then we fed both sets of parents a piece of wedding cake. Everyone applauded, and we all danced into the night.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Opportunity knocks. Prior to meeting my wife.

Post by AndyKK »

It's good to read a happy storyline in these recent times of the pandemic with uncertainties around every corner, well I prefer a happy story anytime really, the daily tabloids are and have been a grim offering, but the old saying is bad news sells.
It seems that you grasped the opportunity and it's favoured both of you, and thats a challenge in itself anywhere in the world, but I would think marriage, more so in Cambodia with its bureaucracy, legality difficulties and costs. It's good to hear the kids are getting a good chance of education and you had managed to move your family to the UK, another hurdle in many ways.
Good luck and happiness.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic