Sending a mobile phone to Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Sending a mobile phone to Cambodia?

Post by Grand Barong »

I have a couple of unused smart phones I was going to mail to phnom penh for my partners brothers, I have been advised by DHL that the receiver needs a import permit from the ministry to collect them? Has anyone had any experience in this subject?. (Sending from Australia) is it true?
Thanks
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Sending a mobile phone to Cambodia?

Post by Bluenose »

Looking at the Customs tariff, cellular base stations, telephonic switchers, routers, transmitters and the like are notated as needing a permit from the MPTC but phones themselves are not.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Thanks for the reply, it did seem a bit over the top .
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

It'd probably be easier to sell the phones back home and then send your guy the cash via transfer
annejanes
Expatriate

Post by annejanes »

Don't know about sending them in but I tried sending them out and it's illegal, by air anyway, because of the batteries. They were always stopped at the airport.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Grand Barong wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:35 pm I have a couple of unused smart phones I was going to mail to phnom penh for my partners brothers, I have been advised by DHL that the receiver needs a import permit from the ministry to collect them? Has anyone had any experience in this subject?. (Sending from Australia) is it true?
Thanks
where are you located? you can PM me if interested because I am leaving NYC july 30th
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I left my mobile phone in a hotel in Singapore, didn't realize till to late at the airport, they could post phone to australia at a cost ( forgotten the amount but it was high ) but without the battery, it wasn't worth it.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

BklynBoy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:11 pm
Grand Barong wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:35 pm I have a couple of unused smart phones I was going to mail to phnom penh for my partners brothers, I have been advised by DHL that the receiver needs a import permit from the ministry to collect them? Has anyone had any experience in this subject?. (Sending from Australia) is it true?
Thanks
where are you located? you can PM me if interested because I am leaving NYC july 30th
He's in Australia.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

annejanes wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:03 pm Don't know about sending them in but I tried sending them out and it's illegal, by air anyway, because of the batteries. They were always stopped at the airport.
Same here. I once accidentally put a mobile phone in a parcel from Bangkok and it was put on hold because of that. Sell and send money.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Seems like a lot of hassle.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic