American expat AARON DENNIS ADAIR goes postal in Kampot, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: American expat goes postal in Kampot

Post by TWY »

Cooldude wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:53 am
Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:04 am
General Mackevili wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:27 pm
Associate of Arts - University Studies- Social Sciences... it all sounds pretty vague.

Is this the type of degree you get by paying your fees and showing up for three years? Multiple subjects with little to no advanced knowledge in anything and what you could of learnt by reading 20 or 30 books over that time while having a job?

Associate degree in the States should take two years. With this degree and major, he would qualify in most restaurants as a dishwasher.
Shasta is a community college in California. They primarily serve people that will take classes for a year or two and then transfer to a 4 year program. They do have a vocational program in addition. I took a quick look and Ken Shamrock (MMA fighter) and Jason Sehorn (NFL) both attended at one point in time.

Outside of one of the vocational degrees, the main value of a community college is to allow students to collect college credits at a cheaper price and then transfer to a four year program. It allows those that might not have taken school seriously to try again, and often you'll find many "older" students that realize after 4 or 5 years of working at bad jobs that they might want to try applying themselves and get a degree.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: American expat AARON DENNIS ADAIR goes postal in Kampot, Cambodia

Post by phuketrichard »

Tuition at community colleges in CA are also free for students, my daughter did a year at one for nursing
and you can still apply for grants/student loans if your full time.
And as stated above, many students than transfer to a 4 year university as they are automatically accepted if they complete their 2 years AA degree.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

This particular American is clearly a fucking mongoloid, anyhow he will get his punishment now he's arrested

The absolute state of some of the comments on the Facebook coverage are hilarious though

One living fossil reckons he came to Kampot a few years ago and the first bar he entered was full of "ice head expat fiends"

Total horseshit, they were most likely potheads
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

pebbles&nightsky
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

@Jerry Atrick, "This particular American is clearly a fucking mongoloid.."

FYI Jerry Atrick, the term, "mongoloid" has been a no no word for over 50 years because it was based on junk science and ethnic Mongolians were not found to be less intelligent than others. I'll weather the PC crap thrown my way for bringing this up, but, for my Mongolian friends, I won't back down. Loads of synonyms would fit in just fine here."
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

The Judge wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:05 am Yet sadly, by Khmer standards, he's qualified to teach as much as anyone else in most schools, whose prerequisites are white skin, can speak English, and have a heartbeat. Even better if desperate.
cool, so my BA in television production still has a use.....
NoisyBird
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: American expat goes postal in Kampot

Post by NoisyBird »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:25 am
mannanman wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:16 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:50 am
mannanman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:22 pm That’s because it’s “dak” not “tak”,even though that’s how some natives say it.
It's not.

ទឹក

Starts with a t-sound.
I’d say it’s more of a dtak sound.
When converting from Khmer to Latin script it's sometimes written as dtuk.
It is pronounced 'tuck' (with a half muted 'k' sound at the end). No 'd' sound at all. If you pronounce it with a 'd' sound ('duck'), it means 'to lead', often used in combination with 'noam' (which means 'to bring'), 'duck-noam' (ដឹកនាំ). It can also mean 'to deliver', for example, to say delivery fee, you would say: 'domligh duck' (តម្លៃដឹក / price-deliver)

'Tuck' in fact means 'liquid'. Water is the most common one, but for example, for 'milk', it would be 'tuck doh ko' (ទឹកដោះគោ). This one is a bit funny, because it literally means: (the) liquid (from the) breast (of the) cow. If you ask for pure water and not tap water or any other kind of water, you would need to ask for 'tuck sot' (ទឹកសុទ្ធ). Anything liquid is 'tuck' something. For beer, it would be: 'tuck beer', or 'tuck srrra (alcohol) beer'.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

bossho wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:59 pm @Jerry Atrick, "This particular American is clearly a fucking mongoloid.."

FYI Jerry Atrick, the term, "mongoloid" has been a no no word for over 50 years because it was based on junk science and ethnic Mongolians were not found to be less intelligent than others. I'll weather the PC crap thrown my way for bringing this up, but, for my Mongolian friends, I won't back down. Loads of synonyms would fit in just fine here."
It seems like you could do with some thicker skin. He never insinuated anything about your Mongolian friends, nor was he asking for a history lesson on the origin of the word mongoloid.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:39 pm This particular American is clearly a fucking mongoloid, anyhow he will get his punishment now he's arrested

The absolute state of some of the comments on the Facebook coverage are hilarious though

One living fossil reckons he came to Kampot a few years ago and the first bar he entered was full of "ice head expat fiends"

Total horseshit, they were most likely potheads
Looks more like a mulatto than a mongoloid
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

bossho wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:59 pm @Jerry Atrick, "This particular American is clearly a fucking mongoloid.."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic