Viet/Aussie woman says she's been consistently fetishised over her race since her teens

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Viet/Aussie woman says she's been consistently fetishised over her race since her teens

Post by Clutch Cargo »

While I think this is an interesting story, as you read on, turns out it's also a promo for a dating app called 'Bumble'..

Dating often leaves Alyssa feeling degraded, and she’s fed up

As a Vietnamese-Australian woman, Alyssa Ho says the dating world can be particularly frustrating and often leaves her feeling “disgusting”.

“I’ve received a lot of comments along the lines of, ‘I’ve always wanted to try Asian’, or, ‘I have yellow fever’,” she says. And those are only the more mild remarks.

Ho, a 28-year-old event stylist and anti-racism campaigner, says she has been consistently fetishised over her race since her teens, based on the harmful stereotype that Asian women are quiet and submissive.

“It’s disheartening and degrading because you’re reduced to this identity that someone has crafted for you rather than being seen or valued for your whole self,” Ho says.

“It’s harder for people of colour to navigate dating … [People] view our bodies as literal and symbolic sites to construct their fantasies onto,” she says. “It makes you feel interchangeable and replaceable.”

Bumble has now become the first dating app to take a strong stance by announcing a ban on the behaviour, considering it a form of sexual harassment. Bumble’s country lead for Australia, Lucille McCart, says younger generations are leading the conversation on unwanted fetishisation, amid movements such as Black Lives Matter, Stop Asian Hate, trans allyship and body positivity.

Alyssa Ho says that some people mistakenly think fetishisation simply means having a “type”, or that it’s a compliment. “Compliments are meant to make people feel good. And this doesn’t feel good at all,” Ho says. “It’s fixating on my race as though it’s the only part of my identity that makes me worthy of being loved.”

Full story: https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life-a ... 5809o.html
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Viet/Aussie woman says she's been consistently fetishised over her race since her teens

Post by Jerry Atrick »

smh
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Viet/Aussie woman says she's been consistently fetishised over her race since her teens

Post by armchairlawyer »

Oh well, I guess she got well paid by Bumble for talking about feeling degraded. Or maybe she just got her subscription upgraded for talking about being degraded.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

harmful stereotype that Asian women are quiet and submissive.
Harmful to any bumbling white fool who ascribes to the myth.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

What's wrong with, "I've always wanted to try Asian"? It's good for her, makes her look more interesting (dare I say, "exotic") to the typical Bogan.

I understand when people use a dating site and get frustrated because nobody is interested in them (fat cows for example). But this?
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

How dare any non Asian man find her attractive, how dare they!
If she didn’t get any attention from non Asian men she’d be honking on about how they’re all racists.
These woke/feminist types have made it all but impossible to pay a woman a compliment, ask them out on a date, hell, they get pissed if you make eye contact without their written consent.
Now you have to browse through a fucking catalogue (excuse the pun) like tinder or the countless dating agencies to find a partner.
These people are like black holes, sucking all the joy out of life, I genuinely believe they are only happy when they’re complaining, what a miserable existence.
I’d hate to be a young man in these current times.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I am an Asian man. I prefer Asian women. I have a Khmer wife. She has a quiet strength - she knows who she is, what she can do, and is proud of it. No need to chest beat and yell all the time.

Does that make me racist, too?

And what about Asian women WANTING to date and marry non-Asian races? It’s trendy for some Khmer American women to have black baby daddies.

Does that make them racist, too?

I’m just confused.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

I sympathize with her frustration. As a white man traveling in Asia, I often feel fetishized.
Many Asian women still hold on to the belief that because I am white, I must be wealthy, chivalrous, and faithful… None of which are true.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I think you're confusing Clutchcargo's avatar? :-)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I think she is making a good point. Do you really believe that any woman would be happy to be listening to garbage comments about "yellow fever" and "I’ve always wanted to try Asian" or "I love you long time" etc? This attitude extends all the way to the west where people will assume that if your partner is from SE Asia she must have been a mail-order bride or a hooker. It's just demeaning nonsense and is perpetuated by too many. Have some respect. 8)

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic