Viet/Aussie woman says she's been consistently fetishised over her race since her teens

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Viet/Aussie woman says she's been consistently fetishised over her race since her teens

Post by Big Daikon »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:41 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:01 am
John Bingham wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:49 am I think she is making a good point. Do you really believe that any woman would be happy to be listening to garbage comments about "yellow fever" and "I’ve always wanted to try Asian" or "I love you long time" etc?
I would agree with this. When a White guy approaches an Asian woman, he doesn't have to (and shouldn't be) so crude as to directly state his intentions. When a guy invites a woman upstairs "for coffee", adults understand the implied meaning. Directly stating his intentions would be quite vulgar.

(All of my experience dating Asian women has been in Asia. I never encountered the PC headaches from Japanese women in Japan. Makes dating so much more fun.)
This whole article is in context of the Bumble dating app and this woman's associated experience...bearing in mind, she states she's an anti-racism campaigner. So that says a lot I think..

Given that, I doubt that guys would say "I’ve always wanted to try Asian" to her face...and symptomatic of social media/dating websites. I dabbled in dating websites when it was new (along with the internet) and my overall experience was negative with a lot of people on there not really genuine and just playing around/fishing for the most part hiding behind their keyboards with throw away lines such as that. I also found that when you actually meet a person on a 'date' they were rarely anything similar to what they sounded like in the cyberspace. It seemed to me the winners in all this were the website owners skimming the fees. IMHO nothing beats face to face, so if one is serious about finding a partner..go join a dance class, sports group, art class..anything really where you can meet people in a natural way.

So why does this woman need to go on a dating app to find a partner anyhow? She looks quite attractive to me and obviously intelligent so I would think she shouldn't have too many issues finding suitable suitors and not necessary to go down this path of online dating unless...1. she's very fussy about her requirements in a man 2. she's part of this Bumble app promo to show that they have a point of differentiation from other dating apps 3. she's got a barrow to push.. as per her stated MO.
Yeah, she sends out headache vibes.

(I never bothered with online dating. Could generally meet women in meatspace.)
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Viet/Aussie woman says she's been consistently fetishised over her race since her teens

Post by Grand Barong »

This is nothing more than a blatant attempt to increase her instagram audience. She already has a large instagram following of about 17500 and growing, check her insta. She would be hard work... Good luck to her with her anti white racist opinions. :please:
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I guess the other thing here in context is that this woman is obviously Asian by descent but her attitudes, beliefs, morals, standards et al are mainly Australian as she doesn't sound like a new arrival.

Compared at least to Asian women living in Asia whether that be Cambodia, Thailand, Japan whatever.. Would these women similarly feel that expat men fetishised them?

If one had a preference for an Asian lady for whatever reason ie physical, psychological (mental, moral, intellectual, spiritual) does that mean you are fetishising her? This is where I think a lot of this PC stuff has gone overboard imo..
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

She even has a post about the White Australia Policy of 1901, A typical Activist looking to pick apart mens comments & compliments to suit her own agenda.
PC gone overboard indeed
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:41 pm If one had a preference for an Asian lady for whatever reason ie physical, psychological (mental, moral, intellectual, spiritual) does that mean you are fetishising her? This is where I think a lot of this PC stuff has gone overboard imo..
I don't think that was the point, there's nothing wrong with having preferences. It's the stereotype of SE Asian women being cute subservient dolls etc that is more likely what grates her.
That said, the video was pure cringe with all those pronouns popping up. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

@clutchcargo
I too also prefer face to face, that's why I usually end up on beach road or Soi 6,
Can't be bothered with all these new fantangled dating app things 🤒
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:49 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:41 pm If one had a preference for an Asian lady for whatever reason ie physical, psychological (mental, moral, intellectual, spiritual) does that mean you are fetishising her? This is where I think a lot of this PC stuff has gone overboard imo..
It's the stereotype of SE Asian women being cute subservient dolls etc that is more likely what grates her.
SE Asian women here in Australia are not seen as subservient dolls at all, on the contrary they are seen as assertive & focused. And the only stereotype I can associate with them is their femininity of which is greatly lacking within a western society!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yobbo wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:34 pm SE Asian women here in Australia are not seen as subservient dolls at all, on the contrary they are seen as assertive & focused. And the only stereotype I can associate with them is their femininity of which is greatly lacking within a western society!
Maybe, I can't say I ever met many SE Asian women in Europe. Plenty of Chinese, Indians etc but never many Thais, Vietnamese etc except in restaurants. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:41 pm
Yobbo wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:34 pm SE Asian women here in Australia are not seen as subservient dolls at all, on the contrary they are seen as assertive & focused. And the only stereotype I can associate with them is their femininity of which is greatly lacking within a western society!
Maybe, I can't say I ever met many SE Asian women in Europe. Plenty of Chinese, Indians etc but never many Thais, Vietnamese etc except in restaurants. 8)
Mixed bag over here JB, always has been! In a time of non-binary gender I think that race maybe taking a second place!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Perhaps Alyssa could portray a totally different image of herself by posting Instagram photos of her looking professional sitting at a desk in an office, rather than sitting on an unmade bed. :facepalm:

Am I victim-blaming, or is she just playing the #metoo game?

https://www.instagram.com/alyssahowritings/?hl=en
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic