Beef brisket??

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Beef brisket??

Post by HappyChappy »

Right, the lockdown is lifted and we can bbq, I'm trying to master the slow cooker, bbq beef brisket process.....and I think I have what it takes (time to kill).

Where can I source beef brisket at in PP?? I didn't even know what "brisket" looks like.......or how you say "brisket" in Khmer :facepalm:

Can anyone point me in the right direction???

-HC
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Beef brisket??

Post by Bluenose »

Maybe go on Google, print off one of the diagrams of a cow showing of the various cuts of beef, go down to the market and point at the relevant part of the cow.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Strokesys TTP will sort you out I reckon
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Ask at Dan Meat, Super Meats, Strokesys, The Meat Shop, LSH (I know one guy who buys all his brisket from LSH - not sure if they sell to the general public or not though?).
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

HappyChappy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:39 am Right, the lockdown is lifted and we can bbq, I'm trying to master the slow cooker, bbq beef brisket process.....and I think I have what it takes (time to kill).

Where can I source beef brisket at in PP?? I didn't even know what "brisket" looks like.......or how you say "brisket" in Khmer :facepalm:

Can anyone point me in the right direction???

-HC
Are you going to slow cook and then BBQ or a long slow smoky cook on the BBQ for half a day? Unless you slow cook brisket for hours and hours, it will be as tough as hell.

Anyway, you can buy some from Lee's Food Service but a only a lot of it, 5kg+.
It's $11 a kilo which says it all, but gives you a price guide, and this is for Prime Steer NZ beef which is not cheap.
If you get it offered in smaller quantities let us know what they charged for it.

https://lees.com.kh/
(Note: This is the July 2020 price list)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

For tough cuts of meat like brisket, you need this.

Indirect heat. Turns the toughest cut into juicy and tender. Also great for ribs (beef ribs), as well as chicken, and sausage as well.

This is how Texans BBQ.

Tons of recipes for brisket, from the rub on the meat to how long per pound (or is it kilogram?) to cook. But basically hours. Some wrap it in foil, others don’t.

Also wood used for making that heat also flavors to meat as well. From mesquite, to pecan to hickory.

Except trash wood and paper. They give it a cigarette smell. Tip from the missus. They don’t flavor the meat.

Good luck!
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Has anyone tried dried coconut husks to smoke/slow cook meats ?
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

People making it sound like brisket is the hardest thing in the world to cook.

Plenty of other ways to cook (think corned/salt beef, pastrami etc) just need a few hours which the op said he had

Can't imagine it's that easy to find a smoker or decent wood pellets in Cambodia, sometimes you just make to with what you've got.

Lsh is 11.50 per kg (same size as Lee's)
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

beaker wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:42 am Has anyone tried dried coconut husks to smoke/slow cook meats ?
I think they would be ok on a relatively quick cook. I use them on a BBQ quite often but not really for smoking (the flavour is nice)

I'd imagine they would burn to quick for a long slow smoke
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic