Beef brisket??

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Beef brisket??

Post by Kuroneko »

I converted my Weber Charcoal grill to a smoker with a copy of a Smokenator shown below. I fabricated a copy myself from a sheet of thin steel and used a baking tin for the water container. Worked very well for pulled pork and etc.

HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:07 am
HappyChappy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:39 am Right, the lockdown is lifted and we can bbq, I'm trying to master the slow cooker, bbq beef brisket process.....and I think I have what it takes (time to kill).

Where can I source beef brisket at in PP?? I didn't even know what "brisket" looks like.......or how you say "brisket" in Khmer :facepalm:

Can anyone point me in the right direction???

-HC
Are you going to slow cook and then BBQ or a long slow smoky cook on the BBQ for half a day? Unless you slow cook brisket for hours and hours, it will be as tough as hell.

Anyway, you can buy some from Lee's Food Service but a only a lot of it, 5kg+.
It's $11 a kilo which says it all, but gives you a price guide, and this is for Prime Steer NZ beef which is not cheap.
If you get it offered in smaller quantities let us know what they charged for it.

https://lees.com.kh/
(Note: This is the July 2020 price list)
Slow cooker for 8hrs then finish it up on the bbq.

....the price has put a pin in my plans for now though :/
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

HappyChappy wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:08 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:07 am
HappyChappy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:39 am Right, the lockdown is lifted and we can bbq, I'm trying to master the slow cooker, bbq beef brisket process.....and I think I have what it takes (time to kill).

Where can I source beef brisket at in PP?? I didn't even know what "brisket" looks like.......or how you say "brisket" in Khmer :facepalm:

Can anyone point me in the right direction???

-HC
Are you going to slow cook and then BBQ or a long slow smoky cook on the BBQ for half a day? Unless you slow cook brisket for hours and hours, it will be as tough as hell.

Anyway, you can buy some from Lee's Food Service but a only a lot of it, 5kg+.
It's $11 a kilo which says it all, but gives you a price guide, and this is for Prime Steer NZ beef which is not cheap.
If you get it offered in smaller quantities let us know what they charged for it.

https://lees.com.kh/
(Note: This is the July 2020 price list)
Slow cooker for 8hrs then finish it up on the bbq.

....the price has put a pin in my plans for now though :/
As a reference, Tesco and Sainsbury's are both £9 a kilo so about $12.60, so $11 here is not unreasonable. The problem here is you have to buy the entire cut, so you end up with 5+ kilos of the stuff.

Did any of the butchers offer it in smaller quantities?

As an alternative, I went bought some oyster blade steak from Makro for about $9 a kilo and the pieces were about 2.5k's each. This is a tough cut with a vein of connective tissue in the middle, however if you slow cook it first and then BBQ it, it could work well. I turned mine into beef bourguignon and it worked well.

Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

There is a good chance that I have smoked more beef brisket in Cambodia than anyone in the kingdom. Here is what you need to know. The only choice is USDA choice beef brisket from LSH, or maybe Lee foods. No oyster blade, no New Zealand beef...only USDA Choice. Buy the whole packer brisket. Get a meat thermometer. Trim the heavy fat to about 1/8". The rub consists of salt and pepper. If you like, you can inject with beef broth. Put the brisket on the smoker at around 225 f. After several hours, the brisket will stall...which means that the moisture evaporating keeps cooling the brisket and the internal temp will not change for up to a few hours. The meat will start to develop a dark bark. When the bark is where you like it, wrap the brisket in foil (or some prefer butcher paper). Then, cook the brisket until around 203 F. and when a probe will slide into the meat like it is warm butter. The brisket will tell you when it is ready. A perfect brisket has a "wabo wabo", which means it is like carrying a plate of jello when you pull it off. Don't cook to time, cook to when the meat tells you it is ready. When the brisket is at around 203 F., and when a probe goes in like butter, pull it off and either place a bunch of towels over it, or place it in a cooler for one hour min. This is essential to let the meat rest so it will retain the juices and the added time also makes it even more tender. I like to drain the juices from the foil I wrap it in and then I mix it with a small amount of barbecue sauce to form a very thin sauce and I brush it on the slices as I plate them. Also a very important step is to make sure you slice it against the grain. A brisket is composed to two muscles, the point and the flat, and the grain in each runs in opposite directions. All it takes is a slice or two with a knife to find out which way the grain of the meat runs, so that you can slice against it. Many people are afraid to smoke a brisket, or think that it is a difficult piece of meat...it could not be farther from the truth. Brisket is dead easy....great ribs are hard. If you are having a party, start the brisket early. Early for me means I am often up in the very wee hours of the morning getting it started. I can usually get one done in 8-9 hours, but I would allow a couple of hours more for a party, as it does no harm at all letting it rest longer....but you cannot short the process. It is done when it is done. If you follow these steps, your brisket will be a home run every time. BTW, if you have never had beef brisket, head to the Lone Star and have their beef brisket sandwich. I think it is the best sandwich in town. Good luck
raymondsfk
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by raymondsfk »

Hi Guys,

No luck of getting legit brisket after much trying many suppliers but plenty of beef ribs. Is the LSH brisket legit USDA brisket consists of the whole flat+point?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Quick update, Home-Fix just recently got Oklahoma Joe reverse flow offset smokers in stock, they also have a Masterbuilt pellet smoker if that's your thing, no pellets though. A few gas, gas/charcoal combo bbq's, and kettle style bbq's also. They have bags of mesquite wood chunks and wood chips, as well as plenty of cherry wood compressed sawdust which you have to soak before using.

Here's just a few pics I took today, there's about 10 more bbq's in stock which I didn't take pics of. Prices are expensive which is to be expected as most of them are imported from the US.

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Oh, and Home Top Market has tonnes of 22" Kettle bbq accessories, and other bbq accessories in stock.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

The brisket from LSH if whole packer brisket consisting of the point and the flat. The Webers kettles are all you need to smoke. I have always had one along with the Weber Smokey Mtn. With the kettle, you can grill with them....or just move the coals/wood to one side for indirect heat to smoke. They are expensive at the moment, I was shocked to pay 450.00 for a new smokey mtn. recently...but they work great for years and years.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic