Zhong Ying International School Accused of Cutting Teachers Salary and Compensating with Rice

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Zhong Ying International School Accused of Cutting Teachers Salary and Compensating with Rice

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Zhong Ying International School is being accused of cutting teachers' salaries by 70% and compensating that by offering rice to them. Here is a post by someone who says she used to work there, and some follow-up comments by others:

'I personally know that in the hardest of times it is difficult to say no to a job, and so no to money. Personally I am not the type of person to name and shame a place I used to work for but today I will, because they have blatantly refused to give me what I am owed!

For every teacher looking for a position DO NOT work for Zhong Ying International School. Not only do they change your salary the DAY before they are supposed to pay you. They completely underpaid my last salary.

They are making teachers do a full time job at a 30% salary rate and offering food (basically just rice) as "compensation".
Never in my life have I come across a workplace that feels that the employees still owe them something and 100% at that, when they aren't even willing to stick to a basic contract!!

I know that the times are hard, but the fact that you take 100% advantage of your teachers during such a time is fucking horrendous!!
I've been working in Phnom Penh for almost 2 years and I have never ever been treated as shockingly as Zhong Ying.

If you want to work hard for free, go ahead, but that's not my cup of tea! I feel word of mouth is a very strong tool, and if they're not going to give me what I NEED to survive then I'm going to try and make sure that nobody falls into their dumb trap!'

So true.

They are already renowned for this, its no shock

My experience with Zhong Ying was similar to what you’ve outlined here.

Yip. They do that. You are not the first and will not be the last.

Sadly not the first time I've heard this about them. Maybe that's why you constantly see them posting for teachers when few others seem to be hiring at the time.

Aaaaaaaand Zhong Ying strikes again!!!! Wow! Is there no end to the thieving corruption in that school? Let's see how long until the next victim. Sorry for your loss, but they have been at it for so long now. If I were one of the owners, I would be very worried about my image. (But they clearly DNGAF)

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Zhong Ying International School Accused of Cutting Teachers Salary and Compensating with Rice

Post by The Judge »

So... Quit!
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Zhong Ying International School Accused of Cutting Teachers Salary and Compensating with Rice

Post by Soriya »

It has a very bad reputation. My gf worked there precovid and wasnt paid for the first 2 months. I know a fair few who have left there, virtually none enjoyed it. Even when schools reopened in october, staff there never went back on full pay, i think they was told they would after the new year then feb 20th happened and straigyt back to 30% pay
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

Soriya wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:35 am It has a very bad reputation. My gf worked there precovid and wasnt paid for the first 2 months. I know a fair few who have left there, virtually none enjoyed it. Even when schools reopened in october, staff there never went back on full pay, i think they was told they would after the new year then feb 20th happened and straight back to 30% pay
You should've stopped there...

What people don't seem to realize is that by not abruptly quitting, they're essentially seen as ripe for the taking again, for some woe-be-me bullshit they're being told whenever the owner or director wishes.

Twice in my career in Cambodia I was shorted pay. Twice I quit that same day. The 2nd time I walked into the director's office, told him to either rectify the error immediately or he can teach my class, or go inform the students, because unless I had cash in hand in the next few minutes, I wasn't going to the classroom and felt no responsibility to inform the students, who had already begun to arrive at school. He was unwilling to correct the pay immediately, since he was in a meeting with 3 of his other puppets and needed to save face, so I literally dropped all of my teaching books on his floor and said I quit. He said, "You can't quit, we have a contract." I said that he had already broken the contract by not paying me the correct amount, and asked, "Who's gonna stop me?"

People need to realize, you're going to either fight the fight or join the attackers. There's no other way. People always have a choice, but unfortunately WAY TOO OFTEN don't possess the self-confidence and intestinal fortitude to make the right decision, and find a new job at a (ahem) more respectable school.

Hard to feel sorry for them then.

Schools need teachers, doesn't matter if classes are online or on-site. No teachers=no revenue for the school. Give those bastards a taste of their own medicine!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

The Judge wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:01 am
Soriya wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:35 am It has a very bad reputation. My gf worked there precovid and wasnt paid for the first 2 months. I know a fair few who have left there, virtually none enjoyed it. Even when schools reopened in october, staff there never went back on full pay, i think they was told they would after the new year then feb 20th happened and straight back to 30% pay

What people don't seem to realize is that by not abruptly quitting, they're essentially seen as ripe for the taking again, for some woe-be-me bullshit they're being told whenever the owner or director wishes.

Twice in my career in Cambodia I was shorted pay. Twice I quit that same day. The 2nd time I walked into the director's office, told him to either rectify the error immediately or he can teach my class, or go inform the students, because unless I had cash in hand in the next few minutes, I wasn't going to the classroom and felt no responsibility to inform the students, who had already begun to arrive at school. He was unwilling to correct the pay immediately, since he was in a meeting with 3 of his other puppets and needed to save face, so I literally dropped all of my teaching books on his floor and said I quit. He said, "You can't quit, we have a contract." I said that he had already broken the contract by not paying me the correct amount, and asked, "Who's gonna stop me?"

People need to realize, you're going to either fight the fight or join the attackers. There's no other way. People always have a choice, but unfortunately WAY TOO OFTEN don't possess the self-confidence and intestinal fortitude to make the right decision, and find a new job at a (ahem) more respectable school.

Schools need teachers, doesn't matter if classes are online or on-site. No teachers=no revenue for the school. Give those bastards a taste of their own medicine!
I agree.

Once they fail to pay you on time they have broken the contract, and paying salary on time and in full is a fundamental term that goes to the root of the contract.

The moment that practice starts you will end up being owed ever increasing amounts over time, with short payment, reduced payments and extra hours for no payment. You action of inaction is tacit acceptance of the 'new deal'.

The day will come when enough is enough and quit, and you will then crystalise your losses when you walk out of the door. They won't be clearing their debt once you have gone. So, you might as well get on with it on Day 1 of their bullshit and give them a nasty surprise. If it can be done en masse, all the better.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

I agree, my gf should of. I personally never worked there.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Very true. I would never, ever remain in a company that did not pay me in full and on time. I don't care what their excuses are - I am an employee. Problems with the business are none of my concern. At all. Either pay what you are contractually and legally obliged to pay me on the date that it is due, or I'm straight outta that door. No sympathy. No compromises. No second chances.

I get why people are tempted to hang in there, especially in this climate where they feel they don't have a choice, but it's a very, very risky practice that hardly ever ends well.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:40 am

I agree.

Once they fail to pay you on time they have broken the contract, and paying salary on time and in full is a fundamental term that goes to the root of the contract.

The moment that practice starts you will end up being owed ever increasing amounts over time, with short payment, reduced payments and extra hours for no payment. You action of inaction is tacit acceptance of the 'new deal'.

The day will come when enough is enough and quit, and you will then crystalise your losses when you walk out of the door. They won't be clearing their debt once you have gone. So, you might as well get on with it on Day 1 of their bullshit and give them a nasty surprise. If it can be done en masse, all the better.
Couldn't agree more.
Bong Kri
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bong Kri »

A lot of people take it because they dont want to walk out and lose their deposit.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

The Judge wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:01 am He said, "You can't quit, we have a contract." I said that he had already broken the contract by not paying me the correct amount, and asked, "Who's gonna stop me?"
This would be funny if it weren't so believable.

The fucking gall of some of these guys. Totally taking advantage of the fact that the average Western tefl jobber is ignorant of the labor laws here and how to even go about addressing grievances.

I'd have been tempted to drag him out of his office by his short and curlies and beat him with a rubber hose.......and when he starts crying for his 'Mak-Mak'........I'd say, "Whose gonna stop me?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic