Zhong Ying International School Accused of Cutting Teachers Salary and Compensating with Rice

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Zhong Ying International School Accused of Cutting Teachers Salary and Compensating with Rice

Post by The Judge »

Brody wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:43 pm
The Judge wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:01 am He said, "You can't quit, we have a contract." I said that he had already broken the contract by not paying me the correct amount, and asked, "Who's gonna stop me?"
This would be funny if it weren't so believable.

The fucking gall of some of these guys. Totally taking advantage of the fact that the average Western tefl jobber is ignorant of the labor laws here and how to even go about addressing grievances.

I'd have been tempted to drag him out of his office by his short and curlies and beat him with a rubber hose.......and when he starts crying for his 'Mak-Mak'........I'd say, "Whose gonna stop me?"
Oh Brody, Brody, Brody... You want Paul Harvey's 'The rest of the story?' I intentionally didn't include it in my original post as it really didn't add to my argument, but since you mentioned it....!

As I turned around to leave his office with the books slewn across the floor, the Director mumbled almost imperceptibly "ch'goo it", thinking he would really give his little puppets a laugh and thinking I might not hear or may not understand Khmer. I turned back around on a dime, and asked, "What did you say?" Of course immediately back into face saving mode, he replied "nothing." I said, "You said nothing? Why did I hear you say ch'goo it? Do you think I'm stupid? Who are you calling ch'goo it?"

So now he changes his story and said he was talking to himself, not about me. First he said that he didn't say anything.... then he says he was 'talking to himself.'

With his 3 puppets watching ever so intently, I walked up to him and went nose-to-nose with him, and asked "Do you want to make trouble with me? If you do, we can do it right here, right now. But you'd be wise to think before you answer."

You could hear a pin drop in his office. Nothing else was said, until I replied "Typical fucking cowards", and then I turned back around and left his office. I didn't give him any opportunity to save face, not one little bit.

Now you know - the rest of the story.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Zhong Ying International School Accused of Cutting Teachers Salary and Compensating with Rice

Post by Dunderhead »

Unfortunately many people fall into what is known as the previous investment trap, once they have worked for free for a month, they say". I can't quit I will lose a months pay". Of course they have already lost but can't face the fact, plus the Boss now regards you as a doormat.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

The Judge wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:32 pm
The Judge wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:01 am He said, "You can't quit, we have a contract." I said that he had already broken the contract by not paying me the correct amount, and asked, "Who's gonna stop me?"

The fucking gall of some of these guys. Totally taking advantage of the fact that the average Western tefl jobber is ignorant of the labor laws here and how to even go about addressing grievances.

I'd have been tempted to drag him out of his office by his short and curlies and beat him with a rubber hose.......and when he starts crying for his 'Mak-Mak'........I'd say, "Whose gonna stop me?"
Oh Brody, Brody, Brody... You want Paul Harvey's 'The rest of the story?' I intentionally didn't include it in my original post as it really didn't add to my argument, but since you mentioned it....!

As I turned around to leave his office with the books slewn across the floor, the Director mumbled almost imperceptibly "ch'goo it", thinking he would really give his little puppets a laugh and thinking I might not hear or may not understand Khmer. I turned back around on a dime, and asked, "What did you say?" Of course immediately back into face saving mode, he replied "nothing." I said, "You said nothing? Why did I hear you say ch'goo it? Do you think I'm stupid? Who are you calling ch'goo it?"

So now he changes his story and said he was talking to himself, not about me. First he said that he didn't say anything.... then he says he was 'talking to himself.'

With his 3 puppets watching ever so intently, I walked up to him and went nose-to-nose with him, and asked "Do you want to make trouble with me? If you do, we can do it right here, right now. But you'd be wise to think before you answer."

You could hear a pin drop in his office. Nothing else was said, until I replied "Typical fucking cowards", and then I turned back around and left his office. I didn't give him any opportunity to save face, not one little bit.

This is such a larp, I'm sure you're furiously jerking your own horn while typing this up.

I doubt it went anything like this, he probably told you just to go back to class and that's exactly what you did. Literally everyone knows telfers are spineless cowards, McDonald's workers have more smarts and toughs than them
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Dunderhead wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:25 pm Unfortunately many people fall into what is known as the previous investment trap, once they have worked for free for a month, they say". I can't quit I will lose a months pay". Of course they have already lost but can't face the fact, plus the Boss now regards you as a doormat.
Classic case here: newsworthy/great-duke-hotel-staff-phnom ... nd%20hotel
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

BillDoe wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:43 pm

This is such a larp, I'm sure you're furiously jerking your own horn while typing this up.

I doubt it went anything like this, he probably told you just to go back to class and that's exactly what you did. Literally everyone knows telfers are spineless cowards, McDonald's workers have more smarts and toughs than them
Haters be hatin'. I forgot to consult with you to fact check my post.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Bong Kri wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:33 pm A lot of people take it because they dont want to walk out and lose their deposit.
How does losing a deposit have anything to do with walking out on a job?
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

The Judge wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:20 pm
BillDoe wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:43 pm

Haters be hatin'. I forgot to consult with you to fact check my post.
Next time we'll have to meet up, I'm sure I can find you at any bar, keeping the seat warm with your stories of CIA/FBI/SEALS stories
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

BillDoe wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:43 pm This is such a larp, I'm sure you're furiously jerking your own horn while typing this up.

I’m quite happy to believe that he quit over the contract and maybe even had an argument with the boss over it, but the transcript does indeed read like something he came up with in the shower two days later.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

She has now removed her post and issued a public apology. Obviously she was threatened by the school
Bong Kri
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bong Kri »

Soriya wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:33 pm
Bong Kri wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:33 pm A lot of people take it because they dont want to walk out and lose their deposit.
How does losing a deposit have anything to do with walking out on a job?
A lot of these kinds of schools keep 50% of your first salary as a deposit or whatever they wish to call it. You generally get returned to you on completion of your contract. So a lot of teachers dont want to walk out and then lose this deposit. Its how they get a lot of people to stay put and just get on with it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic