squatter family tried to extort me for $150

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
HarryBF111
Tourist

squatter family tried to extort me for $150

Post by HarryBF111 »

at the end of the road is a dead end and there live a huge tribe- at least 30 of under/unemployed relatives. They mostly keep themselves away, but often have flair ups with others along the street- some are known thieves and are in and out of jail.

anyway, today some woman I haven't seen before (but from the same family) is outside the gate, dogs going crazy (inside- thats important).

she says that one of my dogs just bit her kid, I told her to fuck off, the gate is locked and dogs are inside and have been all day. She won't go away, so ask which dog it was- the first mistake, because the kid points at Ol'Boney- the fucked up looking terrier type dog and not the other (admittedly aggressive) shepherd cross who might have done it.

Ol' Boney was smashed by a car a good 5 years ago, his whole muzzle was caved in, but somehow he survived, but lost every single one of his front teeth except a rotten half a canine thats left- he eats with his back few teeth that are left. He's also got some hideous tumors hanging from various parts of hos body and doesn't do much other than sit around most of the day and snarl at the other dog.

Anyway, more of the tribe arrive and get threatening outside my yard. The GF comes out to look and says the 'bite' isn't even a bite, but looks like a scratch, possibly self inflicted, All the time the mouthy member of the family is shouting for $150 in compo.

The fact I have the slightly aggressive dog in the first place (not the one they said did the deed), along with the razor wire is solely due to this family's antics, neighbor's been robbed and several bits and bobs gone missing from here.

All this was done through a locked gate, with the dogs on my side of it 'how could the dog get through, bite the kid, even though it has no teeth, then magic itself back inside?'. The kid says the gate was open, but closed itself after the incident.

After lots pf shouting, my GF's family turned up, listened to them shouting and looked in the dog's rather gummy mouth and came to the same conclusion- LIES.

They said 'we'll go to police' we said 'good, off you go'. and they did. No police came. Shifty chancers, hope a dog does bite one of them next time, response will be the same.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: squatter family tried to extort me for $150

Post by The Judge »

Is this in PP? It's never a good thing to have neighbors who have it in for you. I'm guessing there's more of them than there are of you, even when including your gf's family.

I hope the situation doesn't escalate, but I fear it will. I doubt the police will take your side if they come, but again, I hope I'm wrong.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Now, that is some good writing you got here. F. those Shifty Chancers! Ol Boney didn't bite nobody no how. More of this please.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Ol' Boney is innocent!
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

HarryBF111 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:20 pm at the end of the road is a dead end and there live a huge tribe- at least 30 of under/unemployed relatives. They mostly keep themselves away, but often have flair ups with others along the street- some are known thieves and are in and out of jail.

anyway, today some woman I haven't seen before (but from the same family) is outside the gate, dogs going crazy (inside- thats important).

she says that one of my dogs just bit her kid, I told her to fuck off, the gate is locked and dogs are inside and have been all day. She won't go away, so ask which dog it was- the first mistake, because the kid points at Ol'Boney- the fucked up looking terrier type dog and not the other (admittedly aggressive) shepherd cross who might have done it.

Ol' Boney was smashed by a car a good 5 years ago, his whole muzzle was caved in, but somehow he survived, but lost every single one of his front teeth except a rotten half a canine thats left- he eats with his back few teeth that are left. He's also got some hideous tumors hanging from various parts of hos body and doesn't do much other than sit around most of the day and snarl at the other dog.

Anyway, more of the tribe arrive and get threatening outside my yard. The GF comes out to look and says the 'bite' isn't even a bite, but looks like a scratch, possibly self inflicted, All the time the mouthy member of the family is shouting for $150 in compo.

The fact I have the slightly aggressive dog in the first place (not the one they said did the deed), along with the razor wire is solely due to this family's antics, neighbor's been robbed and several bits and bobs gone missing from here.

All this was done through a locked gate, with the dogs on my side of it 'how could the dog get through, bite the kid, even though it has no teeth, then magic itself back inside?'. The kid says the gate was open, but closed itself after the incident.

After lots pf shouting, my GF's family turned up, listened to them shouting and looked in the dog's rather gummy mouth and came to the same conclusion- LIES.

They said 'we'll go to police' we said 'good, off you go'. and they did. No police came. Shifty chancers, hope a dog does bite one of them next time, response will be the same.

Sounds like a bad neighborhood. If you can stand staying there I would just blow them off.

Cambodian police are generally favorable to people who speak Khmer. So your gf can talk to them but she'll need to be assertive to stand up to a large number of people. She should ask the police "where's the evidence?", or "what is the evidence?" If they can't produce any I'd say the police are unlikely to take action.

You could put up a surveillance camera ( though I've never done it) and that would probably scare them off further.
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

Me I’d be worrying bout a chunk of spiked meat being lobbed over the razor wire
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Strawberryshake »

They can easily poison ur dogs and or worse.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Spigzy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:03 pm Ol' Boney is innocent!
We need a photo of Ol Boney.

I'll do the posters...
HarryBF111
Tourist

Post by HarryBF111 »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:56 am

I'll do the posters...

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

HarryBF111 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:33 am
Doc67 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:56 am

I'll do the posters...

I think even the police would have a hard time taking the accusations seriously.

Don't pay the bastards a penny, they will just keep coming back again and again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic