Scam and bar fight in Airforce bar

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Scam and bar fight in Airforce bar

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

"How was your Cambodia trip?" I asked my Danish friend immediately after sitting down at his sushi booth. He started to laugh out loud and over lunch told me the story. He'd met another Saigon resident he knew by chance on the bus to Phnom Penh. Pretty much straight after arriving in PP they went on a bar crawl. The first bar they drank in was called Airforce.

What he proceeded to tell me was that they had ordered three spirits each and three for their hosts too. They envisaged a bill of about $100. When the bill came there was nearly thirty drinks on it and a much higher total to pay. The two lads were astonished and abruptly told the security and staff what they had ordered and what the bill should be according to the menu prices. It got heated and the male security attacked them with punches to the head and upper body. Each had a few guys on them and they were forced to cover their heads and run for the exit. My buddy had his shirt torn in a few places due to the scuffle, but apart from a few cuts and bruises they were OK.
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Scam and bar fight in Airforce bar

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

About 3 years later and I was a couple of hours into a Phnom Penh bar crawl myself. There were three of us. Two European expats and I. As they were residents I let them choose the bars and lead the way. One bar looked bigger than the others. There was more hot girls, more floor space and poor lighting. We were sat in unbeknownst to me until I saw the bill Airforce bar.

We had made use of the space. The girls kept us a distance away from each other. I had brought a pretty Lao girl a cocktail and there were at least two girls the other side of me - between me and my mate. The Swede was further away from me. We all stood up and I can't remember who asked for the bill, but I was handed one for $80 and I assumed it was the total bill for all three of us. I went to check the bill with one of the two lads. However I was blocked from doing so. I could see from a distance that discussions and concerns over the bill were being omitted by both of them. It all happens so fast. First I again attempted to reach my English mate, but was pushed. Whilst I was thinking how to defuse the situation I saw over there my mate being punched and kicked. Now I puffed out my chest and took a boxers stance. I didn't rush any of the security or guys who had obviously been called from outside to boost their numbers. I ducked a few punches. Pushed away a few of the flying kicks and we all got out.

In both stories we all had pulled out cash towards the extortionate bill over and above what was fair. I'd personally put in $30 towards my $80 bill. The other two that I was drinking with I believe paid more than double what I did.

So to end it only dawned on me when I was handed the bill and I saw the printed header 'AIRFORCE' and I let out a deep sigh knowing that we shouldn't be here. At that point I looked up and surveyed the room I could tell it was too late as the scam was already well in place.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Hmmm... (where's the popcorn emoji?)
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

Funny. I’ve drunk there on numerous occasions over the years and never had a problem.
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

@Stiliko Well, there's two instances of bad practices being used at that place on vistors/tourists. There are probably many many more.

@PSD-Kiwi If you want popcorn you'll need to get off your arse and stroll down to the Kiwi Mart on the corner of 136 and 19 street. 🤪
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Been there few times, picked up couple of girls. Nothing to complain about.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Stiliko wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:55 pm Funny. I’ve drunk there on numerous occasions over the years and never had a problem.
I've only been there a few times, probably quite a while back. Anyway never had an issue either. :cry:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

I actually had an issue there 2 years ago. I was with a few guys and 1 of them left without paying for his 2 dollar drink.. He was a dick. The girl helping him started explaining to another woman who might of been higher up in the food chain and slapped her across the face and was yelling at her. Telling her she would have to pay for his drink -- her responsibility etc. I felt bad and paid for the guys drink. I then went up and told that heavy set cashier lady-- usually get a long with her but she was being a bitch and/or didnt understand me. I was trying to explain the guy left and i paid for his drink but what the girl did was out of line. Anyway became a big shouting match and was like fuck this...

Never went back there. Obviously I would never hang w/ that dude again. He was w/ a mutual friend. What a dick to run out on 1 drink tab. I saw him a few days after and said he was wrong for that -- he didnt seem to care. Saying its only 1 dollar. I agreed If only 1 dollar, why can't you pay it and/or expect others to pay and not even let us know ur leaving
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Never had an issue there. Been in there plebty of times, in groups and alone, not aware of ever being ripped off or treated badly.
3 drinks plus 3 for the girls is nowhere near the 100$ you was expecting to pay unless it was champagne.
Dunno how you say in the 2nd story that they led you to a place bigger than the other bars which turned out to be airforce, its pretty small with hardly any floor space as it is., especially in the front bar area.the other area is a little bigger but the pool table eats up all the floor space there.
TheImplication
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by TheImplication »

If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic