Scam and bar fight in Airforce bar

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Scam and bar fight in Airforce bar

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:38 am If bars are not being honest, then members should name and shame them (as this post is doing). And of course, not frequented. Voting with one’s dollars is a great business motivator.

Subsequently, bars that are honest and above board should also be named and well patronized.
I'm not sure the bar is even open anymore. I sometimes pass through 104 around lunch time and the street looks deserted and flyblown.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:38 am If bars are not being honest, then members should name and shame them (as this post is doing). And of course, not frequented. Voting with one’s dollars is a great business motivator.

Subsequently, bars that are honest and above board should also be named and well patronized.
"If bars are not being honest, then members should name and shame them (as this post is doing)". Shocking...houses of ill-repute being well.....disreputable. It's like complaining about walking down a dark alley and getting mugged - it goes with the territory.

To NKOTB's point, I wholeheartedly agree on talking up good establishments, but lets face it "I went to Metro, the bill was correct and the change wasn't counterfeit" won't make for an exciting post! Maybe a poll on bars and their respective 'code of conduct' is in order? Challenge is, it's all largely emotive when alcohol is involved.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:47 am

I'm not sure the bar is even open anymore. I sometimes pass through 104 around lunch time and the street looks deserted and flyblown.
When the authorities eventually allow these places to open, we are going to find out if those chains and padlocks on the gates belong to the bar owners or the landlords.

We might all be in for a surprise when many (most?) of them don't reopen.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:07 am
Big Daikon wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:45 am -Paying with a $100 bill.

Never felt comfortable doing that. Did it once or twice on 136. Lady drinks and a barfine add up and I don't think I was ripped off.
When handing over a $100 bill, point to the last 3 digits in the serial number and make them repeat them back. They then know their switcheroo game will not work.

Just don't do it in a nice place like Metro or Oskar, or you'll confuse the staff and everyone around you will know the types of places you usually hang out. :D
I don't hang out in nice places. Problem solved!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

LOl, scam on the bill is probably the norm at more than half those bars.

Mr Butterfly, and the coven who ran it, were notorious offenders and often had customers roughed up to cover bills they had not ran up themselves

It's one of the main reasons I rarely go to the whore bars; I prefer to go to drink in good company not to be hassled by ropy hookers for drinks, bothered by inane questions and fat cunt cashiers who overcharge by a factor of 2 to 3 for the same drinks available in perfectly good bars without the padded bra saggy tit army at the door
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Why bring up bar scam stories from years ago? SOP around here.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I’ll start the naming.

Ostro Bar has never overcharged or padded the bill on me every time I’ve gone there.

Oscars has also never padded the bill the one time I went. Watching Rozzieoz was amusing and watching the hostesses throw themselves on a customer was even more amusing. Having the missus being mistaken for a hostess and lectured by the Mamasan on dress and etiquette, was however, not amusing.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:09 am Having the missus being mistaken for a hostess and lectured by the Mamasan on dress and etiquette, was however, not amusing.
:plus1: Lol, What sort of lecture did she get ?
I hope your missus knows how to give the "WTF is wrong with you, bitch face stare :rambo: ".
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Anchor Moy wrote:Lol, What sort of lecture did she get ?
I hope your missus knows how to give the "WTF is wrong with you, bitch face stare :rambo: ".
Lectured about not dressing and acting sexy enough. Told to toss out all Khmer morals and just act like foreigner girls and just throw herself at the customers like all the other hostess girls.

A proper Khmer lady is not mealy mouthed like a barking dog. She made the polite nod, found me, and we left for greener pastures.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:36 am
Anchor Moy wrote:Lol, What sort of lecture did she get ?
Lectured about not dressing and acting sexy enough. Told to toss out all Khmer morals and just act like foreigner girls and just throw herself at the customers like all the other hostess girls.

A proper Khmer lady is not mealy mouthed like a barking dog. She made the polite nod, found me, and we left for greener pastures.
how can the mamasan mistake a customer from one of her girls that she employs lol :plus1: :dm:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic