Launch of Khmer Automatic Speech Recognition Empowered by Artificial Intelligence.

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Launch of Khmer Automatic Speech Recognition Empowered by Artificial Intelligence.

Post by IraHayes »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:37 am
NeverNude wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:00 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:23 am
xandreu wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:32 am Apps like this one in the OP don't surprise me and they will only get better very quickly. There will soon be a time when AI translation is so good, there will be no need for language schools and teachers. We will literally put an earpiece in our ears and the AI will translate everything being said in real time.

All those English teachers out there - watch out!
That's at least a decade or two away. Current forms of AI are extremely inefficient and require loads of energy and processor time. Squeezing that into an earpiece is beyond current technology.
This has been around for like over 4 years.
Those buds have zero AI in them, they rely on a larger machine within range of Bluetooth to do the actual translations.
When I said it's one or two decades from now I meant a stand alone in-ear piece which will do translations on the fly, real time, for you. Not a wireless earbud connecting to another station doing the actual work.
And like many other great leaps forward it will happen faster if the military are working on just such a device.
so a real-life "Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy" Bable Fish, powered like a pacemaker. The question is, though, are the military working on or in need of such a device?
I can imagine if one were available it would prove extremely useful given the number of operations on foreign soil atm.

Even if we take a worst case scenario of 20 years just think of the implications it will have if everyone in the world had one inserted as a cybernetic device.
Would it bring the world closer together or not??
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Launch of Khmer Automatic Speech Recognition Empowered by Artificial Intelligence.

Post by xandreu »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:03 pm Even if we take a worst case scenario of 20 years just think of the implications it will have if everyone in the world had one inserted as a cybernetic device.
Would it bring the world closer together or not??
Oh, Absolutely. Why does the UK have such a strong bond with the US? Why do we think of Australians as our brothers yet the French our distant cousins? There's no doubt that the UK has much stronger bonds with other English speaking nations than non-English speaking ones. In the same way that Spain and Portugal have very deep bonds with South America. It's not all about shared history. It's the fact that we understand each other in a way that we don't with people who don't speak the same language.

The trouble is that common languages are all about the nuances, idioms, inferences, sarcasm, irony, humiliation (in context), hinting and a whole host of things that I don't think AI is anywhere close to understanding.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:23 am
xandreu wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:32 am Apps like this one in the OP don't surprise me and they will only get better very quickly. There will soon be a time when AI translation is so good, there will be no need for language schools and teachers. We will literally put an earpiece in our ears and the AI will translate everything being said in real time.

All those English teachers out there - watch out!
That's at least a decade or two away. Current forms of AI are extremely inefficient and require loads of energy and processor time. Squeezing that into an earpiece is beyond current technology.
It's not even a CPU issue, the problems in machine translation are far more fundamental than that.

This thread is giving me a good bit of nostalgia though, there used to be a "machine translation will eat your lunch" thread on one of the old Japan TEFL boards 15 years ago, and one of the dudes there was absolutely adamant that it would only be 5 years at the very most. Every year that passed, the topic would come up and he'd update his prediction to add another year.

There was a big leap forward a couple decades ago from rules-based translation to statistical translation, and people saw that huge advancement and assumed it would continue in the same vein. But really, it hasn't improved one jot since because it's fundamentally limited by the corpus it's trained on. Viz:
(for reference, these characters are the ones representing the days of the week in sequence, and would be easily recognized and translated as such by a human translator)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

But can it understand "drunk kiwi's" never in a million years.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kow4me1
BANNED
United States of America

Post by Kow4me1 »

It's a great program, no doubt, but like many here have said, it's not the dictionary that's the problem. It's the slang....
Googles AI is amazingly powerful, and I would think that they would perfect it before other apps do. I wouldn't be surprised if the new app is using them as a base and just repackaging it with their name.
I've used Google with relatively few issues, but having a Khmer GF is a hell of a lot easier... The only issue there is you never actually learn the language.....
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

atst wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:07 am But can it understand "drunk kiwi's" never in a million years.
Lol, but has anyone asked the compelling question, will it be able to translate: "How much for longtime?"
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:08 am
When AI can pass the Turing test, a new era will have arrived. Things can only get better.
There’s many issues with the Turin Test, basically even if the AI is giving answers does it actually understand?
The Chinese Room is a good example.
People of the world, spice up your life.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

mannanman wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:38 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:08 am
When AI can pass the Turing test, a new era will have arrived. Things can only get better.
There’s many issues with the Turin Test, basically even if the AI is giving answers does it actually understand?
The Chinese Room is a good example.
This is turning out to be a bigger issue than we used to think, and I don’t think you even need to get as philosophically abstract as the Chinese Room. When I was a wee lad there was still the idea that AI would be underpinned by an ontological understanding of the world, but most of the big advances since have been around the idea of pattern matching against huge training sets. This can produce results that look impressive on a superficial level and can solve specific problems (eg self-driving cars) but have worryingly huge gaps when you try to interrogate it on *why* it made a particular decision the way you could with a rules-based AI.

The fear used to be that machines would one day decide we’re a threat and turn against us, now I’m more worried that they’ll decide we’re pumpkins and try to slice us up and bake us into pies.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Well, self driving cars are not though. Lots of issues with them. They can’t act and think like a human and don’t have intuition or can’t see as far as you can so are prone to errors, much like humans!

Proper intelligent AI is a long way off, like 100s of years.

(I’m an AI from the future. I’ve been sent back to kiss my mum)
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic